3e Conversions

smetzger

Explorer
Ok, now this new development is just plain silly. And make me angry.

Ok and then having to have a link to the wizards web sight for the ESD. What if the ESD isn't available?

What if the adventure uses a monster from Magic of Faerun or is set in the Realms? [The document restricts us to the SRD]

Furthermore, although it does have a version number(highly unusual for a document coming from WOTC), there is no POC and no official indication that this document in fact comes from WOTC(link from their website).

smetzger

Explorer
Azure Trance said:
On the front page, the new conversion from 1st and 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition policies WOTC is implementing.

Ooh good point. Morrus, some of the stuff is in compliance. The document does not apply to Basic edition material.

DMaple

First Post
Ah after reading through the document....

smetzger said:
Ok, now this new development is just plain silly. And make me angry.

People protecting there property makes you angry? You won't mind if I borrow your car then?

Ok and then having to have a link to the wizards web sight for the ESD. What if the ESD isn't available?

You don't convert it.

What if the adventure uses a monster from Magic of Faerun or is set in the Realms? [The document restricts us to the SRD]

You don't convert it.

Furthermore, although it does have a version number(highly unusual for a document coming from WOTC), there is no POC and no official indication that this document in fact comes from WOTC(link from their website).

Fair point this could well be a hoax. I've seen nothing on Wizard's website.

DMaple

First Post
smetzger said:

Ooh good point. Morrus, some of the stuff is in compliance. The document does not apply to Basic edition material.

Yes and the document is something that grants permission to do conversions, the standard copyright laws, mean that unless you have something like this agreement you don't have permission.

Therefore basic edition material is not in compliance with the law.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't see it as all bad - we now have a clear policy to refer too, where previously we had vague guidelines and unofficial statements. I've received emails form WotC in the past which contradicted previous unofficial statements - it all depended on who you were talking to.

At least now we know the situation. It's a shame that hundreds of files based on previous, albeit unofficial, statements must now be removed (well over 2 years' work), but this means that this can't happen again - if someone from WotC points a finger, we can just point to the official policy.

On the other hand, this'll now cut the bandwidth usage on my server by 10-15 Mb per month. Which is nice. :)

We can always start again with a new conversion library which follows the official rules. Sure, they're more limiting (OK, they're a lot more limiting), but at least they're there.

What if the adventure uses a monster from Magic of Faerun

My reading of it suggests that if a monster appears in 1E or 2E, you can convert it yourself. If it happens to appear in a non-SRD 3E product, then you can't use the official version of the monster, just your own conversion of it.

If I'm wrong about that, it'd be cool if someone could clarify.

All-in-all, I don't think today is a good day for WotC news in general - this plus the layoffs on the same day.

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
This thing is just rife with inconsistencies and problems.

Here is one that is inconsitant with the actual OGL site: "Note the OGL must be included in the download such that it will print along with the materials"
The OGL site doesn't do this.

How does this effect Scott Greene's stuff?

This just creates more problems than it solves. It also, doesn't bode well for 3e software.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
smetzger said:

It came from a wizards.com email address. I'm fairly sure it's genuine.

smetzger

Explorer
Morrus said:

At least now we know the situation. It's a shame that hundreds of files based on previous, albeit unofficial, statements must now be removed (well over 2 years' work), but this means that this can't happen again - if someone from WotC points a finger, we can just point to the official policy.

They have reserved the right to revoke this policy. It doesn't look like we can 'point' to the policy either. I don't see it on their official site.

Was this sent directly to you?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases