3e Conversions

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
smetzger said:
Is anyone going to GAMA?

In the d20/OGL seminar they are going to go over the Conversion policy.

that's still a few days away and quite a long time to wait. IF we can get something going now and use it as an example I think the conversion will be much easier.

IF all we have to do is:

1. Link to the ESD
2. Rip out all the non-srd critters and replace them with home built ones or links to monsters that aren't srd.
3. put in our name and email address for the converted information.
4. Tone down the data we give out in the conversions to be: stats on monsters, DC's for items, magic items that were converted and stats on them, and NPC information that is noncopyrighted.

It took me 15min to go through and change the things in the G1 conversion module to be in what looks like OGL spec. Granted it was well organized and I had the help of the template that morrus used so that sped things up. But, if all we have to do is copy, paste, and trim down some information it won't be too bad to just convert things around. I would like to have zulkir (AV) take a look at that 'legal' conversion and see if it's in spec, and/or morrus as well. I belive that is everything that needs to be done to keep in spec and if that is all that needs to be done, the converts need to go in there and rip out everything that would cause the module to be able to be run without the ESD or a hard copy of it. Is this a heavy handed approach? Yes it is. But, we are gaining more by following in step with WOTC on this instead of arguing against it. The changes that they want don't seem completely unreasonable if you take a module and go through again to convert it to 'legal' code. All that I had to rip out was trivial information that needed to stay in the module and not be on the conversion document.

Do they need to clarify on some issues? Yes. But, let's get started moving this stuff into spec with an example of what IS in spec and allowed.

smetzger

Explorer
Leopold said:

that's still a few days away and quite a long time to wait. IF we can get something going now and use it as an example I think the conversion will be much easier.

IF all we have to do is:

2. Rip out all the non-srd critters and replace them with home built ones or links to monsters that aren't srd.

Do they need to clarify on some issues? Yes. But, let's get started moving this stuff into spec with an example of what IS in spec and allowed.

You are not allowed to change encounters so you are not allowed to create new creatures for the adventure. You can however make up 3e stats for any creature that is not in the SRD, even if the creature is in Magic of Faerun.

The reason I ask is because, there are clarity issues in the actual document. If someone goes to GAMA, they can make other people aware of issues/problems in the current document. They can also raise these issues personally with those responsible for the document.

We have 6 months to comply, there is no huge hurry. Plus, if the document is changed then you may have to change the template and redo your work.

First things first, get a workable and clear document. Then implement compliance.

Information

First Post
Well, part of me is happy to see it go. I've had two conversions ripped off word-for-word by people, one of them by Dioman (or whatever) and the other by the Netbook of Classes.

Good riddance.

jester47

First Post
I would love to go to GAMA. But alas I have $6 to my name, I am kind of unemplyed, and dont get paid until April 15. (Don't worry, I am waiting for my tax retun, and selling some old stuff) Maybe next year.

Aaron

smetzger

Explorer
Ok, from thenews on the main page today. AV has not changed the Conversion Agreement. Bummer.

I hope he plans on updating it and making it more clear soon.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I won't be accepting conversions until the FAQ is ready and until I have a couple of clear examples for people to see. Since AV etc. are at GAMA, it's going to be at least a week.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases