3e Conversions

qstor

Adventurer
Morrus - Can't the authors just go back and stick the OGL in the conversion document? And a statement like "this work does not challenge WOTC as copyright holder"

Some of the modules converted arent available as ESD's yet as well? Some of the dpcuments were for free files like DnD chicks conversion of the Silver Princess or the conversion of the Saltmarsh series.

Mike

smetzger

Explorer
DMaple -
I agree that some of the conversions went too far (including the original document). I don't know copyright law, but the original guidelines sure seemed like common sense and workable on both sides.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm a little confused by the text of this policy - on one hand it seems to say (para 4) that you can only convert stat blocks & mechanics (pretty much the policy which was used by most of the conversions that I saw) and cannot include the adventure itself. On the other hand the info about converting the ESD in para 6 (permission to convert, not redesign) makes it sound like people doing a full conversion of the ESD rather than just providing a crib-list of encounter locations and stat blocks.

I don't know whether there have been other fan-based conversions that didn't stick to the conventions of ENWorld... as Morrus says, it is a shame to see so much hard work be lost. I'm grateful for the person who did the Desert of Desolation series conversion, because they saved me the time I would have spent in doing it myself (and it would have been completely useless to anyone who didn't have the original modules).

I understand why WotC want to do this. Here's hoping that everything will work out well from here on in.

Cheers

Wolfspider

Explorer
I agree that some of the conversions went too far (including the original document). I don't know copyright law, but the original guidelines sure seemed like common sense and workable on both sides.

But didn't the original guidelines allow the conversion to contain material from the original document if the adventure were available for free download at the Wizards site?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
smetzger said:

They have reserved the right to revoke this policy. It doesn't look like we can 'point' to the policy either. I don't see it on their official site.

Was this sent directly to you?

Yes, it was.

Hmm.. if they can revoke the policy, I don't think that I'm gonna be willing to start another conversion library and waste 2 more year's of work when they change their minds.

I'll admit that I'm disappointed. Given the amount of shameless pimping I do for WotC, I am sometimes somewhat disillusioned by them.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Now that the offical policy has come down and morrus has shut down the conversion library let me as you this Morrus: Where are the files? How we can we edit them to MAKE them pertain to the new licensing schema if we don't see them to fix them? As you said there were hundreds of files there but NOW they are gone and we can't fix them.

I know for certain that some of those files were old and were not updated for a year or so, so how can we take those old files and then bring them up to compliance? Anyone have a replica of ALL of those files so that a team of people or anyone can begin the migration to compliance?

All in all it's a lose lose situation for us as:

1. The files need to be in compliance
2. The files are not available to be changed
3. The files that were available are now off limits.

Vicious circle that needs to be remedied asap for the betterment of the community as a whole.

maddman75

First Post
Morrus - what would it take to get the Creature Collection in line? From my reading, it seems that adding

- Disclaimer that has standard boilerplate (This is property of WotC, does not challenge copyright or trademark, etc.)

- Link to OGL

- Link to ESD containing monster, if it exists.

That doesn't seem like an impossible task, especially since few of the critters would need an ESD link - I don't think they offer many of the old MMs as downloads.

Overall, I think this is a mistake. These fan conversions are done by people who love the game, not companies out for a buck. Its never a good business move to piss off your customers.

smetzger

Explorer
qstor said:
Morrus - Can't the authors just go back and stick the OGL in the conversion document? And a statement like "this work does not challenge WOTC as copyright holder"

Some can, as long as all the material used for the conversion is OGL (eg from the SRD). But, if your monster happens to be in Monsters of Faerun; or it uses information from the FRCS then it won't fly.

Some of the modules converted arent available as ESD's yet as well? Some of the dpcuments were for free files like DnD chicks conversion of the Silver Princess or the conversion of the Saltmarsh series[/B]

The document muddies the water in this area.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Morrus said:

Yes, it was.

Hmm.. if they can revoke the policy, I don't think that I'm gonna be willing to start another conversion library and waste 2 more year's of work when they change their minds.

I'll admit that I'm disappointed. Given the amount of shameless pimping I do for WotC, I am sometimes somewhat disillusioned by them.

I say open up the conversion library with a select group of volunteers and bring the conversions up to compliance. I am sure that there are a good majority of them that can be brought up to compliance rather rapidly and we could begin putting them out again.

Something needs to be done and soon...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases