So Draconomicon looks awesome. Should WotC put out more books on other monsters

johnsemlak

First Post
I got Draconomicon a few days ago and like several reviews have already stated it looks awesome.

I already had Gygax/Mongoose's Slayer's Guide to Dragons, but I've got no regrets about getting this one as well.

So, should WotC put out other books dealing with specific monster types?

The liches thread made me think either liches or undead would be a good topic for a WotC book. There are many others of course...

Aeolius

Adventurer
Sahuagin. I know Mongoose did a "Slayers Guide" about them, but nothing tops Skip Williams' "The Sea Devils" 2e supplement.

Terraism

Explorer
A book on the various classics of the game - beholders, kuo-toa, etc, would be wonderful. Another hardcover, with a chapter on each of a number of different creatures, could be quite good, I think. Almost a number of mini books.

As far as "one-creature type" books, I second the "Undead" and "Giant" comments, and add the idea of either a fey or construct book.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'd rather they did Undermounticon. :)

I'm still waiting for the ultimate Undermountain adventure. It should take characters from level 7 to 30. :D

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Only if they can keep the quality and diversity of stuff in the book high. Dragons are a particularly rich subject. Many types, many ages, many different behaviors. Effectively, it's not a book about one type of monster, but of many different monsters.

Other books should keep that in mind. A single entire book of the same size on mind flayers, or sahuagin wouldend up with the good content spread kind of thin. A book on "classics", on giants, on humanoids, on underdark critters, on mind flayers/githyanki/githzerai, on aquatic critters, a book with a broad base that follows a theme, might be welcome.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Umbran said:
A single entire book of the same size on mind flayers, or sahuagin wouldend up with the good content spread kind of thin.

Fair enough. I'll settle for a book on aquatic races in general. ;)

In lieu of that, how about a book on hags?

johnsemlak

First Post
I'm not sure that Sahuagin or Kuotoa would be of big enough interest for a WotC hardcover release. Perhaps Beholders. Giants and Undead would be rather in demand, I would think...

Wombat

First Post
I think what is working here is the fact that the book is about dragons. Rare is the game that does not at least have a reference to dragons. Beholders, mind flayers, kuo-tao, etc., however, are not basic mythological beings and there are a lot of campaigns I have been in and run that do not even mention the beasties, much less have them participate.

I think a book of giants would probably go over well, possibily a general undead book, for the same reasons that the Draconomicon has -- a standard mythological creature that nearly every campaign uses in one form or another.

Remove ads