(Adventure) The bastards of XXXXXX Bluerun - Page 11

+ Log in or register to post
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore Sparky
    Rainca leaves the wine with the witch-woman and returns to her group's side of the stone table as the woman speaks. She drops into an easy crouch and tears the flatbread into pieces and beginning to eat with gusto. She pauses in her chewing as the woman coldly describes her eyes being taken. She looks piercingly at the bird on the woman's shoulder. Ah... Restless Brother Owl. Rainca must apologize, but if this goes poorly, she will have to take you first.

The barbarian woman shrugs uncomfortably and darts glances at the others assembled. She resumes her chewing and takes a sip of the wine, offering the mug to the others and hoping they'll sit down as well.

She surreptitiously eases one of her kukri onto the ground in easy reach in case this witch-woman Susan, however reasonable her words may seem, decides they cannot be trusted. She readjusts her scarves and sashes and begins eating once again.

When Susan concludes with a question, Rainca, buoyed by the witch's assessment of the group's fighting prowess, straightens proudly in her crouched position, "Susan, Owl Mistress, we are bound to provide a lasting peace to the people of Bluerun. Whatever that peace may require," she glances meaningfully at the perched owl, "Speak what Hiznibs would have us hear."
    Last edited by Sparky; Wednesday, 9th June, 2004 at 12:05 AM. Reason: font colors

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    When Susan concludes with a question, Rainca, buoyed by the witch's assessment of the group's fighting prowess, straightens proudly in her crouched position, "Susan, Owl Mistress, we are bound to provide a lasting peace to the people of Bluerun. Whatever that peace may require," she glances meaningfully at the perched owl, "Speak what Hiznibs would have us hear."
    Susan nods and says "Well, Andrew had considerd offering you some money and goods to simply abandon your contract or even help us decieve those of Bluerun, but I suspected you would be unwilling. Let me tell you first what it is we hope to take out of this. While some of the brasher members of our band enjoy inflicting damage and humiliation on the proud 'truebloods' of Bluerun, Andrew's goal and mine has always been to train these youths while gathering the goods to equip ourselves." She sips some water and pauses, apparently wondering how much to say. "You have gathered perhaps how the good citizens of this area feel about those of bastard birth. Andrew was lucky - his grandfather felt some responsibility to the young servant girl who bore a bastard son quite obviously of one of the young lords of the manor, and had Andrew raised if not as a trueblood, at least as a part of the household. My younger life was not as genteel, but my powers have given me some advantages over my station. But for most of those in our group, life held only bleakness. Life as a criminal may not seem any better, but we hope to move beyond this and equip ourselve well enough to sell our swords in areas more openminded - In the meantime, we take from this society what we feel we should have had by birth...." She laughs "It all sounds very pretentious, doesn't it? We take from the moderately well off and give to ourselves. Well, when you have nothing, you either accept nothing as your lot or you break the rules to get something. And now you are here to enforce the rules. So tell me, what would you offer us to avoid a fight and get your reward?"
    I understand, comprehend, get, grok, and see your point. I can take, handle, cope and deal with the way you run your game. The reasons I disagree with you and/or dislike your playstyle preference lie elsewhereů

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore Sparky
    Rainca thinks a long time on the words of the witch-woman. She drains the mug before her and stands, "Susan Owl Mistress," she holds out her hands, "Rainca does not know where to begin. Amongst the Barav Kree... " She sighs, eyes lowering, brow furrowing, "Amongst the Barav Kree this would not be." She stops. Frustration flashes across the warrior-woman's face and just as quickly vanishes.

She takes her bow from her shoulder and lays it upon the table. And her bristling quiver, javelins and kukri. And pack. Her hands brush the carved flute that hangs around her neck as she unwinds the sashes and scarves and strands of beads and bones to place them on the table. She glances at the others, Dioran Uthelem, Lupic, Joseph Dar'maryon, Gath Stonefist and then back to Susan and the Owl.

She steps back and crouches, bowing low, forehead brushing the leaves and grassy growth of the forest floor. Her breath stirs the leaves near her mouth, "For peace, Rainca can offer only these things." She straightens and reverently lifts the carved wooden flute over her head by its beaded cord placing it carefully among the arms and gear.

Her voice is tight as she says, "These things are Rainca. They are all that Rainca has." She bows again, grateful for the shelter of her arms and shuts her eyes tight against the stinging of tears. Forgive Rainca, B'ukun'e.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    I'm going to wait for responses from some others before I continue. If you have no in character response, please say so, but I don't want decisions to be made without input from the group as a whole.

ooc: sparky, if you have aim, could you contact me? or email me at kahuna_burger73 at yahoo? I wanted to bring up an inn thing without making a big public thing of it.

Kahuna Burger
    I understand, comprehend, get, grok, and see your point. I can take, handle, cope and deal with the way you run your game. The reasons I disagree with you and/or dislike your playstyle preference lie elsewhereů

Novice (Lvl 1)

° Ignore buzzard
    "What kind of warrior are you you pay off instead of fighting?!? Lupic knows he knows not much, but he knows enough that you pay off thugs and it just makes them want more. If you have no stomach to fight them then leave. You old witch just said they were just bandits. I have a job to do, and I am not scared to do it. I go back to the town. I knew talking was bad idea. Sad day when Lupic ends up being smart one. " Exclaims Lupic after watching Rainca start offering things. He then continues "Let's go back. If they let us go we fight them later, if not I will make sure the witch does not leave on her feet. "

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore Sparky
    Scared! Rainca surges to her feet and rounds on Lupic, the Blood Father hovers - nearing - she roars at the half-orc, "Rainca offers herself to the hoar-suns!" Her eyes are wild, "Not her few belongings!" She dashes her hand across her mouth where froth has gathered and pushes the Blood Father away, yet again. Still seething she growls, "Rainca agrees it is a sad day when Lupic is the smart one." Her lips curl in an animal snarl, "Today is not that day."

She turns to Susan, "Amongst Rainca's people a gift of belongings is an oath. With this gift of all that Rainca has, all that she is, she pledges herself to the hoar-suns in exchange for peace. In exchange for the oath of Andrew Hiznibs, and Susan Owl Mistress, and all of the other hoar-suns to stop their attacks for three moons, Rainca agrees to help the hoar-suns to their goal of becoming sell-swords." She turns back to Lupic, "Rainca was getting to that."

OOC: Hah! Barbarian and gruff half-orc negotiators... Nicely played buzzard
    Last edited by Sparky; Wednesday, 16th June, 2004 at 05:37 PM. Reason: italics

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    double post... didn't there used to be an option to delete these entirely, or am I thinking of another board?
    Last edited by Kahuna Burger; Wednesday, 16th June, 2004 at 07:47 PM.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    Susan's mouth hangs open for a moment as she absorbs the offer being made. "You would train our people in the warrior ways of the Barav Kree? As individuals and as an efficient whole?" She thinks for a long moment then touches her owl gently on the head. It imediately takes flight. "If you or one of your companions can also help us find a region where we will not be judged by our parentage but can sell our services as equals, this is an offer Andrew will definitly want to hear for himself..." She lapses into contemplative silence as she eats some more of the bread. Her movements are less sure, more clearly those of a blind woman with her companion gone on its errand.

Gath

ôIt be not easy to leave place and start new. Gath know. But do it, with Rainca or without. Leave now for big city with big red lizard and, there, be guards.ö

Gath suddenly takes a more aggressive stance. ôYou best do that be cause me and Lupic smash you good if you donĺt.ö

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Knight Otu
    [judge]I'll volunteer as a judge for this adventure, as mentioned in the GD thread.[/judge]
    Also posts as Ashardalon (here and elsewhere) and as Eques Concordia and Guinea Pig (only elsewhere).

Semabin ai Harudan, currently hunting goblins.
    Ashnar, currently searching the Peregrine Shard.
    Sedar Spirewalker, Halfling Investigative in Living Eberron.
    Castle Otu *Updated 17/06/07 - Semi-Random Crunch - The Greenjacket*

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Hof
    "Unfortunately the solution to our problems is not entirely this simple. While we personally would like nothing more than to so see you off and contented, our employers would not find this an adequate solution. You see, we were hired to make sure you never bother the town of Bluerun ever again. Somehow you need to make us, and more importantly the town council, believe you are actually willing to leave for good. Until you do, not only can we offer you no help," He lays an arm on Rainca's shoulder to keep her from interupting, "but would instead remain adversaries."
    "Mistress Susan, please understand. It may seem that you are, in this, still at the whim of those who oppressed you. But if you were to bow this one last time, it would solve a lot of problems and hardship for all involved parties. And afterwards you would be free to live as you will."

Softly whispering in her ear, Dioran tries his hardest to appease the fierce warrior woman: "Rainca, Ginthealim, we will not dishonor your gift or sacrifice, but please delay deliverance until our earlier obligations are met in full."

As he stands to await Susans reply, he shoots a glance at the half orcs. Not to silence them, but to council patience.

ooc: for those who understand celestial (Joseph?), Ginthealim can be roughly translated to 'noble spirit'.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore Sparky
    The barbarian woman nods at the rough fighter's words. "Well spoken, warrior Gath Stonefist. Freedom is a good teacher."

She glances at Susan briefly and leans close to the bald sorceror and speaks quietly, "Dioran Uthelem is mistaken. Council Man Therick requires peace for two moons. Think back and you will remember. But Rainca works for more than the oath she made to Council Man Therick." She pauses, "Ginthealim... what does this mean?" Her brow furrows at Dioran Uthelem as the group awaits Restless Brother Owl's return with the hoar-suns.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Hof
    Whispering back, Dioran explains his actions to Rainca, hoping the witches' magic will not allow her to overhear: "We say these words not out of mistaken intent, Rainca. If these men would leave for good, surely it would mean a better, safer and less worrysome life for all involved. Allowing for a limited timeframe could merely postpone troubles. Also, Theric would no doubt have liked us to procure a somewhat more permanent, ehm, removal of these folk. In this manner, we may convince him that we have achieved exactly what he wished without resorting to bloodshed. If it works of course."
    Dioran conposes his thoughts for a moment.
    "Ginthealim is what some angels call a kindred soul - A warrior of noble bearing, acting just because that is what her heart tells her to do. We deem It a fitting appelation for you."

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    As Dorain finishes speaking, the group hears the sound of a horse coming over the hill from the oposite direction as you approached. The owl flies ahead of it and alights once more on Susan's arm. The horse which comes into view is a fantastic animal, full of beauty, strength and health. Its rider is no less impressive, a young man who, and he dismounts and speaks to you, projects both a warrior's confidence and a noble's grace. "Greeting to you all, and thank you so much for accepting this meeting," he begins. Seeing Rainca, he bows gravely to her. "I have learned of your generous offer, my lady, and I hope we can come to terms on it." He sits at the 'table' and grins at the others, relaxing his formality. "My name is Andrew, though a lot of the folks around here have taken to calling me His Nibs. I lead the Whoresons, so I guess I could be seen as the target of your employment, but you should know that more of my time is spent restraining them than instigating them these days, so maybe killing Susan and myself outright would be a bad idea. Anyway, Susan's probably told you that I have aspirations above mere banditry, and with lady Rainca's offer, I think its time to put those into play." he looks at the faces around the table, taking in both the hope and the skepticism. "Lets put all cards on the table as it were. There are a score of men and women whose loyalty to my plans and my leadership I am completely confident of. A slightly lesser number have attached themselves to my band's current actions without as strong a loyalty. I would be honored to accept the lady's offer on behalf of myself and the strongest core of the Whoresons, and I hope to spend the months of training she has offered traveling far from here to a region where our services can be traded fairly... but just as I had nothing to do with the bandits who attacked you on the road, even if they did it seeking my approval, I can't speak for every man and woman who is called a Whoreson."

He glances around again at the faces surrounding him, and speaks with a deep sincearity. "If I take this offer back to my band and announce that I have accepted it, there will be some who will abandon us and continue to harrass Bluerun on their own. Not nearly as many as if you killed me here, and perhaps no more than would survive an assault on our camp, could you find it, but we must make this deal in honesty, and I tell you now, openly, that I cannot remove all of your problems by my word alone."

Gath

"OK, it be simple, you leave and we smash the ones who stay."

Novice (Lvl 1)

° Ignore buzzard
    "I think Gath have good idea. So Hiznibz, where are ones we are to smash?" replies Lupic, finally warming up to the discussion after having large portions whiz right past his head.

buzzard

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzard
    "I think Gath have good idea. So Hiznibz, where are ones we are to smash?" replies Lupic, finally warming up to the discussion after having large portions whiz right past his head.
    Susan smiles at the directness of the half-orcs. "I think Andrew and I will have to go back to our band and explain the offer that has been made and Andrew's acceptance of it. We will attempt to bring as many of the Whoresons with us as possible, and send word to you of how many have refused, and what their plans are. I think our true followers should leave the area as soon as possible as a show of good faith. We can meet with Lady Rainca in the vilage of Redoak. Its, er, largely abandoned now." She blushes a little and stumbles on the last bit, but Andrew picks up smoothly.

"The messenger we send can guide the lady to us. I imagine you should head back to Bluerun in case anything goes wrong, but I have some hope that those who do not come with us will be too disorgananized to pose any imediate threat..."

If this is satisfactory, Andrew and Susan ride away in the direction they came from. (ooc: I don't want to railroad this, obviously Rainca accepts the offer as she made it, and gath and lupic seem ok with the idea in a "and we'll kill whoever doesn't like it" kinda way, but I want to make sure that Dioran's reservations have been addressed and see if Joseph has anything to add (if his player is still here, seems quiet lately))

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Hof
    Dioran nods towards Andrew and Susan. "Most satisfactory. Good luck and good bye."

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore Sparky
    Rainca's eyes flash as the man rushes up on his horse, commanding the scene, her heart flutters. So like Pemiyo. She bows solemnly to Andrew Hiznibs, fingertips to brow, lips and heart in rapid succession. "Rainca of the Barav Kree sees Andrew Hiznibs. Rainca is pleased that Andrew Hiznibs and Susan Owl Mistress choose to accept Rainca's offer."

The barbarian woman smiles broadly as the others step up with their words of agreement. She pats them each roughly on the shoulder. "Yes, Rainca is pleased." She bows again as Andrew and Susan ride away. She beams and begins to gather her belongings, again taking special care with the carved flute and its beaded cord.

She nods, "Council Man Therick will be happy to hear of our victory. We must now peel our eyes for those Andrew Hiznibs fears will continue to rob and maim and steal." She settles the last of her sashes and looks around penetratingly into the forest ears pricked. She turns smiling to the others. "The way to Bluerun waits, brave companions!" And with that she springs off through the forest toward the rutted trail that will lead the group back to the village. So like Pemiyo.

OOC: I will be out of town and offline (getting married!) beginning tomorrow and lasting until the last week of July. I hope that doesn't put too much of a crimp in the game. Anyone at all can feel free to ghost Rainca to keep the game moving.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    [/i]OOC: I will be out of town and offline (getting married!) beginning tomorrow and lasting until the last week of July. I hope that doesn't put too much of a crimp in the game. Anyone at all can feel free to ghost Rainca to keep the game moving.
    yeep! well, first off congrats. Hope all goes smoothly. However, I'd actually planned on having this adventure wrapped up by the time you are talking about returning. With this news, I'm gonna jump the gun a tiny bit on our judge, and award some XP.

You have currently overcome/eliminated a sizable chunk of your opposition, and recieve 4800 XP as a group (960 each) for the efforts leading up to that. You can upgrade your characters now and PLEASE check in here when you have. Sparky please also let me know general tactics you would use in fighting against a large group, and I will autoplay rainca in the coming final battle. Several of you have also earned some RP XP, but I'll assign that at the very end of the adventure.

Kahuna Burger

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast