5 Port A/V Selectors

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I was wondering if anyone out there has any good advice on any 5 Port A/V Selectors? Currently I have a 4 Port Selector with a GameCube, PS2, DVD PLayer and TiVo hooked up to it. I'm going to be getting an X-Box soon and I want to be able to hook that up also. I've found somethat are a hundred bucks or more, but I'm looking for something a bit cheaper, like under $30.

I did find this Pelican 5 Port (PL-940), but many of the reviews seemed to suggest the quality is poor. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this one?

Thanks for any help. :)

drothgery

First Post
What are the rest of your components like? Unless the TV is pretty good, you won't be able to notice the difference between a really good DVD player and an Xbox-as-DVD player, and even if it is, you won't be able to notice the difference between an Xbox-as-DVD player and a cheap DVD player (actually, the Xbox might be better than a cheap DVD player).

If the TV is pretty good, then it's got multiple inputs, so I'd just connect one device using another input. What I've done is forgone the switchbox and dedicated DVD player, connected the Xbox via component inputs, the PS2 via S-Video, the GameCube by RCA, and the DVR/Digital Cable box via coax, then used the Xbox as my DVD player.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Also, using any kind of A/V switch, especially a low end one, you will see a degradation of quality. However, if you're just using RCA jacks, you probably won't notice a difference :p

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
My setup is a mess in general. My TV only has a Coax connection, so everything passes through the VCR. DirecTV goes straight to VCR via Coax. DirecTV goes to TiVo via RCA jacks. TiVo goes into 4 port Selector. DVD player goes into 4 port. GameCube and PS2 also. The 4 port goes into the VCR via RCA jacks. The only problem I have with the current setup is either the VCR or the TV have a sensitive coax connector and if the cable gets moved I get nasty lines through the signal. I've tried two other coax cables. I want to get a new TV with at least 2 sets of RCA jacks, but currently don't have the 200+ dollars to spare on a new TV.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Out of curiousity, where are the reviews from? I've found that a lot of times serious entertainment gurus will say something is "poor", when it is merely adequate. I mean, it's not big secret that in a lot of cases you pay for quality, but unless you have a lot of quality equipment, you probably won't notice much difference. In your case, I'll bet you're getting the most signal degredation through the coaxial cable - I don't think the AV ports will contribute significant amounts comparitively.

That said, I haven't tried the thing, so I really couldn't say for sure. I think I might look for a different one if there are so many negative reviews. However, if you're on a serious budget, and it's that or nothing, then go for it. Just be sure you can return it if it doesn't work to expectations.

dave_o

Explorer
I personally use Pelican switches, and they work just fine -- actually some of the more high quality stuff I've seen. They're designed to look just like the PS2 shell, too, which is sorta cool. My only gripe is that if you wanna label things differently, you've gotta use stickers or something.

But they're good! :D

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I've decided to get the 5 port Pelican. I'm also going to start saving up for a new TV with RCA jacks on it. However only working two days a week and having a ton of bills, it might take a while. ;)

drothgery

First Post
Psychotic Dreamer said:
I've decided to get the 5 port Pelican. I'm also going to start saving up for a new TV with RCA jacks on it. However only working two days a week and having a ton of bills, it might take a while. ;)
I really think that given your other components (if you're worrying about $100 on a switch, then a TV where you'd notice a progressive scan DVD player is almsot certainly out of your price range, and a non-progressive scan DVD player isn't ever going to be noticeably better than an Xbox), it probably makes sense to just get a remote for one of your consoles. But it's your money.

shadowlight

First Post
Psychotic Dreamer said:

If you're getting a new TV and you have an XBox, make sure your TV has S-video in. The difference between RCA and SVideo is surprising.

Also, have you checked out Radio Shack for switchers? I got my 4 port switcher there (I also use it to switch a TiVo, GC, and XBox) and I know they've got 5 port switchers with remotes for pretty cheap.

shadowlight

First Post
drothgery said:
I really think that given your other components (if you're worrying about $100 on a switch, then a TV where you'd notice a progressive scan DVD player is almsot certainly out of your price range, and a non-progressive scan DVD player isn't ever going to be noticeably better than an Xbox), it probably makes sense to just get a remote for one of your consoles. But it's your money.

I agree. I have a nice DVD player, but I only use my XBox anymore (and I let my kids use my DVD player in their room). Seems easier to keep the 4 port switcher and just use the XBox (or PS2 for that matter) as your DVD player.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases