Paladin/Cleric Build

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Okay, I'm working on a character that is a warrior, leader, diplomat and priest. The idea is she believes she has been chosen by a God (in a moment of revelation) for a great purpose. She's not sure what it is, but that is what she believes.

I view as a bit like Joan of Arc - or something like that.

Anyway, I want to go with the Paladin class to some degree, to represent the chosen aspect (the CHA save bonus, immunity to stuff, and so on). Part of me also wants to go with the Cleric so I can get some spells faster.

What are some build possibilities? I was thinking of keeping only a minimum of Paladin levels? This would be core book only. I'm aware of a few issues: I need to spread my stats quite thin, and I may be not that good at everything, but competent in a few things.

Anyway, ideas?

We will be using the standard third edition (not 3.5) core books and the FR book. Feats from other sources will be considered.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Ian O'Rourke said:
Okay, I'm working on a character that is a warrior, leader, diplomat and priest. The idea is she believes she has been chosen by a God (in a moment of revelation) for a great purpose. She's not sure what it is, but that is what she believes.

I view as a bit like Joan of Arc - or something like that.

Anyway, I want to go with the Paladin class to some degree, to represent the chosen aspect (the CHA save bonus, immunity to stuff, and so on). Part of me also wants to go with the Cleric so I can get some spells faster.

What are some build possibilities? I was thinking of keeping only a minimum of Paladin levels? This would be core book only. I'm aware of a few issues: I need to spread my stats quite thin, and I may be not that good at everything, but competent in a few things.

Anyway, ideas?

We will be using the standard third edition (not 3.5) core books and the FR book. Feats from other sources will be considered.

Remember that you cannot go back to paladin after you multiclass out of it, so decide before hand how many levels you want from it.

If you want spells quickly then get out of paladin as soon as you get all the special abilities you want or stick with paladin and rely upon their limited spells.

Sticking with a straight paladin or cleric concept might work better if you want serious spellcasting with this concept, otherwise you get a muddle and watered down spellcasting.

The straight cleric can work well as a chosen champion of god concept.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Hah, good point, forgot about the multi-classing thing on the Paladin. MMmmm. I really liked the idea of the save bonuses, immunity to fear, disease, etc. Mmmmm. Might have to re-think now.

Or go Paladin 2-3 and then Cleric for the rest? I could go straight Paladin - they just don't seem that interesting as they level (that may be just me).

Also, I looked at the PHB for all these brilliant Buff spells, and I could only see Bull Strength..are they all in other books?

Last edited:

Darklone

I would say Pal4, then cleric. Gives you 4 attacks at level 20 (if you go that far) and keeps you in the fighting for quite some time. You'll start to loose a little bit fighting power as soon as the paladin would get spells, but it'll be worth it. Just remember, you'll never be more than a second rate cleric.

The other buff spells are called Bears Endurance, Cats Grace, etc... they are still in there.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Does the loss of four cleric levels make that much difference?

I may try and find the likely level top off point - we tend to play short, focused mini-series (from a D&D perspective). The characters start at 3rd and will have a likely level expectancy, etc.

I'm guessing circa 8th - but I may be wrong on that.

Last edited:

Antoine

First Post
Ian O'Rourke said:
Hah, good point, forgot about the multi-classing thing on the Paladin. MMmmm.

Your original post refered to Forgotten Realms. If you're playing in a FR campaign, there are some paladins who can multiclass without restriction.

IIRC, the right clergy for cleric/paladin is Helm.

You might want to doublecheck with the FRCS though.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
It's a world of our own creation we play in, though some feats and stuff from FR have fallen into the game. So Paladins may also be able to Multiclass.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Darklone said:
Even with Multiclassing you could start with cleric, then 4 levels paladin, then cleric again... if human.

But if you can go back and forth start with paladin for the 2 extra hit points, clerics and paladins have the same number of skill points and equivalent skill choices.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases