Spartan Training




+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    807
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore MaxKaladin

    Spartan Training

    I'm trying to set up a group on my world that has a training program for their youth similar to the brutal conditions under which the Spartans raised their children.

    Assuming someone had basically been through having all "defective" children killed at birth and 14 years of Boot Camp from ages 7 to 21...

    * Would you give them any kind of bonuses and penalties to stats?
    * Any other special abilities?
    * What class would they be? Prestige class, fighter and/or warrior NPC class?
    * What level do you think they would be?
    * Assuming some of their number were seperated out about halfway through to be trained as clerics, wizards or sorcerers, how would that change your answers to those questions?

    Thanks!
    Max Kaladin

 

  • #2
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKaladin
    I'm trying to set up a group on my world that has a training program for their youth similar to the brutal conditions under which the Spartans raised their children.

    Assuming someone had basically been through having all "defective" children killed at birth and 14 years of Boot Camp from ages 7 to 21...

    * Would you give them any kind of bonuses and penalties to stats?
    * Any other special abilities?
    * What class would they be? Prestige class, fighter and/or warrior NPC class?
    * What level do you think they would be?
    * Assuming some of their number were seperated out about halfway through to be trained as clerics, wizards or sorcerers, how would that change your answers to those questions?

    Thanks!
    The quick way to show the difference between a Spartan army and a regular one is to treat all of the Spartans as Fighters with 4d6 drop 1 stats. TReat regular joes as Warriors using average dice (+1 or 2 for prime stats)

    As for the Wizards et all, well that depends on the -- highly stressed Wizards might be less effective than non stressed ones. Probably the easier solution is to make the surviving Wizards (and many would die in training) high level than normal; for their age.

    The Trojans (FREX) might have say a bunch of 3-5 level mages average age 20 something. The Spartan warcasters would be 6 level with a level or 2 of maybe Warcaster or some cool PRC

  • #3
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    807
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore MaxKaladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    The quick way to show the difference between a Spartan army and a regular one is to treat all of the Spartans as Fighters with 4d6 drop 1 stats. TReat regular joes as Warriors using average dice (+1 or 2 for prime stats)

    As for the Wizards et all, well that depends on the -- highly stressed Wizards might be less effective than non stressed ones. Probably the easier solution is to make the surviving Wizards (and many would die in training) high level than normal; for their age.

    The Trojans (FREX) might have say a bunch of 3-5 level mages average age 20 something. The Spartan warcasters would be 6 level with a level or 2 of maybe Warcaster or some cool PRC
    Well, I imagine the surviving wizards would be very good under stress having grown up with so much of it and surviving. I can see them being higher level and/or having a couple of levels of some more militant class/prestige class due to their very, um, focused childhood and adolescence. Perhaps the warrior NPC class or a level of Rogue or two...

    I suppose a different dice rolling method would be better to represent their training than a set of stat bonuses and penalties, though I can see those applying as well.

    Thanks
    Max Kaladin

  • #4
    Registered User
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

    the Jester's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Shingletown, CA 96088
    Posts
    20,663

    Ignore the Jester
    Since only the cream of the crop survives, roll their stats best 3 of 5d6.
    the Jester

    The Monster Project

    Buy my first self-published weird sci-fi novel from Amazon here!

  • #5
    "The only traditions of the Spartan army are rum, sodomy and the lash." -- probably not Winston Churchill

  • #6
    Penguin Herder COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Nifft's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    18,286

    Ignore Nifft
    Quote Originally Posted by hong
    "The only traditions of the Spartan army are rum, sodomy and the lash." -- probably not Winston Churchill
    Greeks had Rum?!?

    -- N

  • #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft
    Greeks had Rum?!?


    "The only traditions of the Spartan army are olive oil, sodomy and the lash." -- still probably not Winston Churchill


    Hong "not to mention fetta cheese" Ooi
    Last edited by hong; Sunday, 23rd November, 2003 at 05:06 PM.

  • #8
    Penguin Herder COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Nifft's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    18,286

    Ignore Nifft
    Quote Originally Posted by hong
    "The only traditions of the Spartan army are olive oil, sodomy and the lash." -- still probably not Winston Churchill
    Presumably in that order.

    -- N, ducking and running

  • #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft
    Presumably in that order.

    -- N, ducking and running
    Boom-tish!

    We'll be here all week, folks.


    Hong "try the olive oil, I hear it's delicious" Ooi

  • #10
    Wine!

    The greeks had wine, and spartans drank it with every meal. While they didn't get drunk like the athenians, it was one of the few indulgences.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Spartan expantion
      By fearghal in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: Monday, 9th March, 2009, 12:32 AM
    2. Spartan build?
      By fearghal in forum Character Builds & Optimization
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: Wednesday, 4th March, 2009, 07:15 AM
    3. The Hoplite (think Spartan, Greek, Roman)
      By Tyonisius in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 37
      Last Post: Monday, 19th November, 2007, 06:52 PM
    4. [OT] Spartan Special on History Channel
      By CrazyMage in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: Wednesday, 2nd October, 2002, 05:20 AM
    5. Spartan
      By SolidSnake in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: Sunday, 2nd June, 2002, 11:36 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •