Al-Qarin: Into the Desert (3-1-24)

pogre said:
Things with decent SRs are going to be pretty tough on this party eh?

Yeah, it's a definite concern. Shayla will probably have to take spell penetration at some point. I'm focusing mainly on conjuration and utility spells, so it won't be that big of a deal for me. I'm not really sure how higher level druids work out, having never seen one in action, but we're hoping that Gorak's shapechange and some buffs will make him a pretty good fighter if the need arises. One of us (I won't spoil the surprise) is taking leadership at 6th too, in order to pick up a meatwall, so we should be a little more balanced in the future.

What really concerns me are energy immunities, especially as far as Shayla's spells go. Galeman won't allow energy substitution sonic, which I don't necessarily disagree with (except for the little...well okay, big screaming munchkin in me).

Anyhow, just to let you know where we are currently in the campaign, Shayla has just hit 6th level, and I'm about 150 exp away. Gorak, thanks to some spectacular bookkeeping, has managed to set himself back a few hundred exp, and needs another 800 or so I think. Heh, I can't chide him too much however, seeing as how at any given point I'm floating anywhere from a 4 skill point deficit to a 7 skill point surplus. As Galeman pointed out, it's no wonder Khalid had so much trouble learning spells at the White Tower, given that he didn't have spellcraft for the first game session :eek: (And yes, I have played a wizard before, to 14th level no less)

I do most of my writing on Saturday mornings by the way, so you can figure on a weekend update on a fairly consistent basis. Stay tuned for next weeks installment...the nail biting thrill ride known as Chapter 3: The Mines of Malakai.

The Axe

First Post
EternalNewbie said:
... I'm not really sure how higher level druids work out, having never seen one in action...

... Galeman won't allow energy substitution sonic, which I don't necessarily disagree with (except for the little...well okay, big screaming munchkin in me)...

You could take care of both of these in one fell swoop: ever heard of Lady Despina's Virtue/The Heretic of Wyre/The Rape of Morne/Soneillon/The Mesallliance? If not, it's compiled here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58227

Warning: will lead to non-stop binge reading

Galeman

Explorer
heh, funny you should mention that story hour the axe. we both read and enjoy sepulchrave's story hour. in fact, Mostin's penchant for sonically substituted boom spells is a big part of why i don't allow sonic substitution. and, yes, the scene where nwm lays waste to that army is awe inspiring. already gorak has become a difficult to deal with menace.

The Axe said:
You could take care of both of these in one fell swoop: ever heard of Lady Despina's Virtue/The Heretic of Wyre/The Rape of Morne/Soneillon/The Mesallliance?

Yeah, I have read (and thoroughly enjoyed) that story hour. What I should have said was I'm never seen Gorak play a high level druid, and I'm not sure how that's going to work out :D . Heh.

[/whine on] Okay, so this is not an update, just a status report. Things have gotten insanely busy for me lately including, but not limited to: working about 45+ hours a week, attending an 8 hour training course on saturdays and trying to study for the first of many professional exams I have coming up this year. [/whine off]

Added to that the fact is the mild case of writers block that I'm wading through. Normally, when I start working on an update, before I even sit down to write, I fully develop three or four 'scenes' (usually fights or bits of dialogue) in my head. Then I sit down and string them together. Unfortunately, that just wasn't happening with the next section, which is basically a segue in the next big adventure. Anyhow, the long and the short of it is that I don't know how regularly I'm going to be able to update for the next few months. What's even worse is we haven't even been playing much. However, for those three or four of you that are regular readers (at least I think there's three or four of you...maybe it's just my group posting under pseudonyms) don't have to worry, because I am going to keep writing, if only to keep Galeman, Shayla and Gorak from pestering me.

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Dont sell yourself short, man, there are more than 3 or 4 of us out of the last 5 posts :) .

Hey, I like your stuff, and I'll keep it subscribed so I can read whatever you can come up with, whenever you can get it out there.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Been lurking in this thread for a while. I'm subscibed to it. So, like ledded said, don't sell your self short.

Looking forward to your return.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases