Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for PC.

rook111

First Post
Has anyone played this? Is it anygood? I have been through the website and learnall I can from them (which is not much in detail) and would really like to try this game but I have been burned by just about every Starwars game i ever bought.

How much choice do you have with regards to your character(s)? And the style of play, can you go dark if you want to?

Any info would be appriciated.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
rook111 said:
Has anyone played this? Is it anygood? I have been through the website and learnall I can from them (which is not much in detail) and would really like to try this game but I have been burned by just about every Starwars game i ever bought.

How much choice do you have with regards to your character(s)? And the style of play, can you go dark if you want to?

Any info would be appriciated.

played yhe xbox version and it rocked. Its the best star wars game and heck star wars story I've seen/played in a long time. I so want a setting book for a d20 rpg back in this time frame.

The game is semi d20 like. You have d20 skills and you can choose d20 like feats and its class based. You can indeed go dark, your light dark balance effects the cost of using dark/light side powers. I noticed if you go dark, light side gets really expensive and dark looses a good bit of cost. If you go light dark gets a semi more expensive but your light looses a good bit of cost.

Sounds like light is the better choice, but my favorite powers were dark. Kill rocks, disease rocks, and heck they both have paralyze powers which become area of effect.(IIRC lights is a bit better here)

The only person who changes throguh your actions though is the main guy, the rest pretty much stay as they are exceot for story arcs. I was a bit disapointed I couldn't turn them all to the dark side with me, thoguh I guess that let me have a couple jedis who could heal on the cheap in my line up.

Some of this may have changed when it went for the PC.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
The X-Box version made for one of the best games on the system. VERY addictive. If you are trying to kick a drug habit, I suggest picking up KotOR.

I forgot to eat for a few days. :)

rook111

First Post
Enforcer said:
You didn't like Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy?

I haven't Played Academy but I didn't like outcast at all but I'm biased against FPS's in the first place. I like rpg and stratagy/tactical style games.

I will probably get KotoR but I'm also mulling over whether I should put out the cash for Galaxies instead.

Enforcer

Explorer
Well, I haven't played KotoR, but Jedi Academy uses the same engine as Jedi Outcast, so it might not be for you. But, using a saber staff or dual sabers is extremely cool...

John Crichton

First Post
rook111 said:
I will probably get KotoR but I'm also mulling over whether I should put out the cash for Galaxies instead.
Ever play an MMORPG? It's just like that except you don't have to fight things all the time depending on class. For what it is worth (I beta tested Galaxies), I would go with KOTOR - easily the best game I've played this year.

Hecateus

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
Sounds like light is the better choice, but my favorite powers were dark. Kill rocks, disease rocks,
Jo0 are the Dark Lord of Lith! :D

seriously, I have been playing quite a bit since I got it on Saturday. Some Non-Spoiler Advice:
All the classes are viable, but the Scout class is probably the hardest to play despite significant advantages. ...IMO

While helpful, the ranged weapons suck too much to develope a viable pc around them; ignore melee weapon skills at your own peril.

Jedi characters would be advised to keep a VibroBlade and other weapons handy, as the LightSabers aren't always what you need.

Pazaak is alot of fun, I would like to see a product like it in the stores; though it is too simple to do the tradeable card game routine.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Hecateus said:
Jo0 are the Dark Lord of Lith! :D
All the classes are viable, but the Scout class is probably the hardest to play despite significant advantages. ...IMO

While helpful, the ranged weapons suck too much to develope a viable pc around them.
Interesting, I've found the exact opposite to work for me.

I made a scout/sentinel with a lot of dex (and as much dex boosting equipment as possible), and then used maxed rapid shot with either Jurgan Kalta's assault rifle or Jamoh Hogra's carbine.

I killed most opponents faster than my jedi teammates could even reach them, and the setup worked in boss fights as well (even the end fight).

Of course, stunning the opponents first helps a lot, but ranged fire isn't as bad as I keep hearing it called.

Incidentally, my brother took the duelist single pistol approach and discovered that the 'special' sith assassin pistol does incredible amounts of damage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases