Al Qarin - Characters, NPCs, Questions, Comments, and Explanations

Galeman

Explorer
So i guess a brief explanation of the world of Al-Qarin should preface the nitty -gritty. Firstly, the world was named the day EternalNewbie decided to post his story hour. I hate thinking up names for the following reason - every player i've ever played with has the annoying tendency to invalidate names by finding a similar sounding word or phrase that makes it impossible to think of anything but. For instance, i was contemplating using Akrazaria as a world name until its similarity to "Ass-crack-area" was so helpfully pointed out to me. But i digress. There is a creation myth, so to speak, behind this current campaign world. After having had enough with what was available on the market in the way of published campaign settings, a friend of mine came to me and said, "I want to play D&D now. But i'm sick of FR (our then current game setting). Why don't you make a world while i make my character. Here are my stats, btw." So, with that challenge in mind i set about the task of creating said world. Well, enough about me. Here are the characters!

Galeman

Explorer
Khalid ibn Bahir "Eternal son of Brilliance"

Human Wizard 1
Ht: 6'0' Wt: 155
Hair: Black
Eyes Brown

HP: 6
AC: 10 (base 10 + dex 0 + armor 0 + shield 0)
BAB: 0
Init: 0

Fort: +2 (base 0 + con 2)
Refl: +0 (base 0 + dex 0)
Will: +4 (base 2 + wis 2)

Str: 9 -1
Dex: 10 0
Con: 14 +2
Int: 17 +3
Wis: 14 +2
Cha: 14 +2

Feats

Scribe Scroll (bonus)
Spell Focus : Conjuration (1st)
Augment Summoning (1st - human)

Skills

Alchemy +4, Concentraion + 6, Decipher Script +6, Knowledge Arcana +7, Knowledge Planes +7, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +7

Weapon To Hit Dmg

Dagger -1 1d4-1
L. Xbow 0 1d8

Equipment

Clothing
Sack, Looting
Waterskin
Flint and Steel
Lantern, Oil x 2
Spellbook
Spell Component Pouch
Sultanas 75

Spells

0th - all

1st

Mage Armor
Shield
Sleep
Expeditious Retreat
Summon Monster 1
Identify

Last edited:

Galeman

Explorer
Gorak

Half-Ork Druid 1
Ht: 5'5" Wt: 185
Hair: Black Dreadlocks
Eyes: White

HP: 11
AC: 14 (base 10 + dex 0 + armor 2 + shield 2)

Fort: +6 (base 2 + con 3 + racial 1) -> see my house rules
Refl: 0 (base 0 + dex 0)
Will: +5 (base 2 + wis 3)

Str: 17
Dex: 10
Con: 16
Int: 10
Wis: 16
Cha: 16 -> see my house rules

Feats/Special Abilities

Track
Resist Nature's Lure

Skills

Concentration +6, Craft Arms +1, Handle Animal +4, Heal +5, Knowledge Nature +3, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +9

Weapon To Hit Dmg

Cudgel +3 d6+3
Dagger +3 d4+3
Short Bow 0 d6

Equipment

Short Bow
Leather Armor
Large Wood Shield
5 Pitons
Rope
Flint and Steel
Tinderbox
2 Torches
Coal Pencil
Fishing Line
Hook

Galeman

Explorer
Shayla

Half-Elf Sorceress 1
Ht: 5'2" Wt: 115
Hair: Auburn
Eyes: Green

HP: 5
AC: 12 (base 10 + dex 2 + armor 0 + shield 0)
Init: +2

Fort: +1 (base 0 + con 1)
Refl: +2 (base 0 + dex 2)
Will: +5 (base 2 + wis 3)

Str: 10 0
Dex: 15 +2
Con: 12 +1
Int: 15 +2
Wis: 17 +3
Cha: 18 +4

Feats/Abilities

Point Blank Shot (1st)
Eschew Materials (bonus) -> see my house rules
Summon Familiar

Skills

Bluff +8 (House rule), Concentration +5, Knowledge Arcana, +6, Sense Motive +6

Weapon To Hit Dmg

Dagger 0 1d4
L. Xbow +2 1d8

Equipment

Bedroll
Blanket
Pillow
Flask
Backpack
Jewelry

Spells

0th

Ray of Frost
Daze
Mage Hand
Detect Magick

1st

Charm Person
Obscuring Mist

Last edited:

galeman here, logged in as EternalNewbie... as far as "seeing my house rules" goes, i intended to post the file the other day and wonder of wonders, i found that they no longer exist on my computer! as such, i will have to attempt to reconstruct them from my various fragmented notes and memories. however, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. questions will tend to jog my clouded memory and probably help me compile a new house rules document quicker then the above methods... sorry about the confusion.

Galeman

Explorer
a few quick answers to some questions

yes pogre, in my campaign half-orcs do not receive the -2 to charisma, just to int. as well they receive a +1 bonus to fort saves, darkvision and +2 to intimidate. to answer some earlier questions about house rules, sorcerers, or sorceresses in this case, all receive eschew materials for free at first level, as well as a bonus metamagick feat every five levels. my computer will finally be online after the xmas break and i promise to fully update my house rules, as well as the characters and some major npcs, then. until then, happy xmas all!

Galeman

Explorer
finally, my house rules

so, i've managed to find a copy of my house rules finally. it seems mostly up to date, and i've added a few things to freshen it up. there are some other minor things that i believe i've forgotten but it should do. if you have any questions please ask

Al-Qarin House Rules
--------------------

regarding races
---------------
half-orcs : +2 str -2 int, 60ft darkvision, orc-blood, +1 fort save, weapon familiarity orc d.axe
half-elfs : +2 diplomacy\sense motive\bluff, +1 will save, + regular half elf features
gnomes : DON'T EXIST SO GET OVER IT!
elves : cannot be played thanks to Zanzabar.

regarding classes
-----------------
clerics of an evil alignment or neutral clerics who channel negative energy may opt to swap out spells to heal themselves or others of the same faith as per clerics who channel positive energy

sorcerers begin play with the eschew materials feat and receive a bonus metamagick feat every 5 levels

druids who wear metal armor are subject to double arcane spell failure chances. they are proficient in all bows, all spears, sling, staff, club, and great club. as well, druids are proficient with any natural wpns that they gain from wild shape. they are not restricted to just these weapons by any spiritual vows.

regarding item creation feats
-----------------------------
scribe scroll, brew potions, craft wand, craft rod, craft staff
remain unchanged

create wondrous item
craft arms and armor
craft ring
become create minor, medium and major permanent magick item. minor = level 1-6,
medium 7-14, major 15-20.

regarding aiding another
------------------------
one rank in a skill is required to aid another.
a BAB of +1 is required to aid another in combat.

regarding character point expenditure.
--------------------------------------
- hp reroll = 10cp
- 75cp gains one feat
- you may increase a stat for 50 * (new stat mod) cp (min 50). IE: to increase from 15 to 16 costs 50 * (3) = 150 cp.
- ranks in a skill may be purchased at a cost of 5 + new rank obtained
- you may obtain a contact that regards you in a friendly manner as per reaction tables in the dmg. the level of the contact is based on the character point expenditure as follows :

Level of contact CP
1 5
2 15
3 30
4 50
5 75
6 105
7 140
8 180
9 225
10 275
11 330
12 390
13 455
14 525
15 600
16 680
17 765
18 855
19 950
20 1050

regarding magick
----------------
the first rule to magick is rule zero. if i don't like it don't work. if i come not to like it don't work. magick is subject to change at my whim. more specifically however:

magick missle : now causes a type of dmg selected by the caster at the time of casting. ie: bludgeoning, piercing or slashing.

most individual spells will be under review after 3.5 comes out anyway so i'm going to wait.

Last edited:

Galeman

Explorer
a broken curse

so, it has finally happened. two sessions ago the characters in the game i run, Al-Qarin A Tale of Arcanomancers, Adventurosity, Ambiton (*sigh*), finally attained 5th level! now this may seem like a commonplace occurance for most, but since the day i began running Al-Qarin (formerly Zanzabar World) no character has managed to obtain this plateau. from total party kills, to the dreaded "i don't like my character anymore", to people moving away (including myself at one point) no party or character has been able to surpass level four. so it's with much pride and joy that i give to you :

Khalid ibn Bahir "Eternal son of Brilliance"

Human Wizard 5
Ht: 6'0' Wt: 155
Hair: Black
Eyes Brown

HP: 26
AC: 12 (base 10 + dex 0 + armor 2 + shield 0)
BAB: +2

Fort: +3 (base 1 + con 2)
Refl: +1 (base 1 + dex 0)
Will: +6 (base 4 + wis 2)

Str: 9 -1
Dex: 10 0
Con: 14 +2
Int: 18 +4
Wis: 14 +2
Cha: 14 +2

Feats

Scribe Scroll (bonus)
Spell Focus : Conjuration (1st)
Augment Summoning (1st - human)
Alertness (3rd)
Create Minor Item (5th)

Skills

Alchemy +5, Bluff +6, Concentraion + 10, Decipher Script +7, Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +3, Knowledge Arcana +10, Knowledge Planes +8, Listen +4, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +14, Spot +4

Weapon To Hit Dmg

Dagger +1 1d4-1
L. Xbow +2 1d8

Equipment

Clothing
Rucksack
Rations 4
Waterskin
Flint and Steel
Lantern, Oil x 2
Spellbook
Spell Component Pouch
Mithral Robe (+2 AC, +8 Max Dex, 5% Arcane Failure)
Alchemical Healing Salve - 1d8
Sultanas 207
Sheiks 75
Viziers 24

Magick Items

Bracers of Armor +2
Scroll - Mage Armor (4th level), Shield (4th level)
Scroll - Rope Trick (4th level), Expeditious Retreat (4th level)
Scroll - Protection from Arrows (5th level)
Scroll - Rope Trick x 2 (4th level)
Scroll - Mount x 3 (4th level)
Oil of Remove Paralysis
Wand of Web
Wand of Shocking Grasp

Spells

0th - all

1st

Mage Armor
Shield
Sleep
Expeditious Retreat