Need some feedback on this spell people.......please!

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Ok so I know I've posted this once already but nobody took the time to reply,(sob)! Well if at first you don't succeed etc. etc. I have revised this somewhat since last time but I really could do with the knowledge of all you sages out there because as far as my DM is concerned, he's a s clueless as me when it comes to creating spells.

Random's Wrap.
Conjuration,(Wild).
Level: 6?
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 round/level
Components: VSMF,(material - a die, focus - cloak of protection?).

This spell summons a sliver of sentient chaos that wraps itself around the caster, potentially shielding him from all forms of attack. Any attack form has a chance of being defeated or possibly even deflected, all dependant on your level. Roll percentile:

Level Chance of Defeat
11-12 19+
13-14 18+
15-16 17+
17-18 16+
19-20 15+

This spell also grants a +5 bonus to something random each round; roll 1d6:

1. Nothing.
2. AC.
3. All saves.
4. Attack and damage rolls.
5. Caster Level.
6. Spell DC.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hm.

So basically, at level 12 (for example) you have a 10% chance that any and every attack that targets you misses. It's much worse than Blink, but Blink won't work against all effects.

Add to that what seems to be the more powerful aspect of the spell, the random beneficial effect.

Level 6 seems a little high for the effects. I'd probably reduce it to 5th, if not 4th.

AR

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I'll have a go.

I'm not sure how to weight the deflection chance. I supose it's similar to displacement or blink. Just can't think of anything with exactly the same mechanic, so not sure how it would compare?

Trainz

Explorer
I like it. Would create a nice dynamic during a fight where the Tarrasque crits on you:"Come ON ! I need a 16+ ! !"

I also like the random +5 bonus.

I would personally leave the spell at CL 6. Even if it is a random thing, a spell that gives you a +5 bonus is quite potent. And in the hands of a 19th level character, that spell is a must have.

Oh... and when you call me an S.O.B. you better be tapping me on the shoulder and offering me a beer with your other hand. ;)

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm thinking that the spell should include a 50% chance of spontaneous combustion and cause the player to leave halfway through the game with a headache. ;)

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Inconsequenti-AL said:
I'll have a go.

I'm not sure how to weight the deflection chance. I supose it's similar to displacement or blink. Just can't think of anything with exactly the same mechanic, so not sure how it would compare?

You'd have problems weighing yourself, let alone anything else hehehe! :D

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Darmanicus said:
You'd have problems weighing yourself, let alone anything else hehehe! :D

Trying to remember that old saying. Something to do with glass houses and throwing stones. :rolleyes:

I do like the random bonus. Is there a lower level chaos/wild spell with that effect?

I sorta kinda like the idea of random benefits, but ....

1) I think the spell should have one set of random benefits. This spell, as it stands, requires you to make two rolls, yeilding two unrelated benefits. Maybe make it two separate spells.

2) A chance to defeat just any attack is too vague. Does it include spell effects or just normal melee and ranged weapon attacks? What about being set on fire, being buried under an avalanche .... are those considered "attacks"?

3) As a player, I would want to use a spell slot on something that had such unpredictable results. I don't mind a result being slightly different each time, as long as all the results are similar. A bonus that might be to offense, or defense, or caster level, or something else is way too broad. It's like having a "Make Me a Better Character" spell. I don't like the flavor of that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases