How do you envision bards?

How do you see bards?

• A great entertainer, but doesn't fit in with adventureing.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • A sweet talking rogue that has minor spell access.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • Jack of all trades class, pure and simple. (PHB)

Votes: 54 41.2%
  • Fine as is, but should have more special songs instead of spells, or have unique, purely vocal spell

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Graceful combatants that perform a ballet of death.

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 36 27.5%

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I think I'd rather eliminate the class from all of my campaigns altogether. Is the Bard a jack of all trades, or a musical magician?

Turns out I just don't care. He's fired from all my campaigns forever. Sorry, Bard.

--Erik

Crothian

First Post
He's an adventuring entertaining. He's no longer the jack of all trades. He has the potential to do many things, but you're just not able too. It's a fine, misunderstood class. Not everyone expects all fighters and Rogues to be the same, why do they expect all Bards to be similiar?

The bard should be a jack of all trades first and formost. He's also an entertainer, a rogue, and a dabbler in the area of magic. I love the bard i'd probabaly still be playing basic dungeons and dragons if not for the sheer unstoppable coolness of the bard!

kenjib

First Post
I voted other. I see the bard as primarily a warrior poet with perhaps some minor magical talent. There's nothing rogue about him. The PHB bard doesn't quite capture it - not enough combat skill mostly. The arcane spell failure is one of the big problems I should think.

Maerdwyn

First Post
I think the bard is written as sort of a jack of all trades class.

I think such a class should be re-written as the "adventurer" class -(possibly an NPC class), weaker as a whole than all the pc classes but able to dabble in several different abilities and hopefully survive in a dungeon. A person who wants to be GOOD at a bunch of different things should (IMHO) have to use the multiclassing rules to do it.

A bard, OTOH (and IMHO), should be of the *entertainer; oral historian; inspring companions to feats of greatness; satiring enemies; delivering curses, blessings, geasae, and other magical effects (not spells) with his songs* type of character.

sepulchrave

First Post
A warrior, a lover, a poet, a gadfly who defies the gods. A psychopomp.
A skald. A weaver of mighty magics, who can calm a raging sea, cause trees to bear fruit or bring down lightning from the heavens with his voice.
Orpheus, Vainamoinen, Taliesin, Finrod Felagund...now THEY were bards.

None of this namby-pamby, wishy-washy high mediaeval minstrel-rogue rubbish.

Bards should be Prestige Classes with nigh-impossible entry requirements.

rounser

First Post
Bards aren't powerful enough to match celtic mythology. The 1E bard was a much better representation of the power and respect that legendary bards demand than the 3E one, which is, IMO, a poorly thought-out exercise in designer fiat.

Perhaps the Bards Tale CRPG bards are a good model for 4E - make Bards the buffing class with their spellsongs, make that their role, and dispose of the jack-of-all-trades idea.

Songs which regenerate companions, make their weapons keen, enhance their ability scores etc. (Yes, those few ideas are combat oriented, but that's an important part of all the D&D classes.)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases