So what does everyone think of the new Bladesinger?

Kai Lord

Hero
I'm not really familiar with the older versions, but the new one looks pretty nice.

No arcane spell failure in elven chain (or other light armors), a free quickened spell per day, d8 HP, Tumble as a class skill, Song of Fury which is essentially the Rapid Shot feat applied to a Bladesinger's sword, full BAB and five caster levels with a potentially huge bonus to AC (+1 to AC per point of Int per class level.)

I've seen people complain that this class was "nerfed," but aside from how it compares to previous incarnations wouldn't you agree it matches up well to other current classes? Is there something I'm missing or is this a class that's better than a similarly leveled fighter/wizard and at least equal to and possibly better than an eldritch knight as well?

Last edited:

LGodamus

First Post
I like this one better simply cause it doesnt have the clunky mechanics of having its own spell list, even though you have to be a caster to get in like the old one . It really sucks when you gotta keep track of 2 seperate spell lists , especially when they are similar lists.

DonAdam

Explorer
The two spell-lists was silly, I'm glad that's gone.

However, I can't help but think that, in 3.5, a bard/fighter just fits the archetype better since they can now cast in light armor.

However, this new version is welcome in that it makes it easier to port over elven fighter/mages from previous editions.

coyote6

Adventurer
Generally, I like it. I might give it back the bonus feats it used to get; maybe not all three, but one or two.

Edit: the latest version of the bladesinger is "posted" in the Complete Warrior.

Last edited:

Kai Lord

Hero
Breakdaddy said:
Ive got to admit that Ive no idea where the new Bladesinger is posted. Can someone help me out?
Its in Complete Warrior. I posted all their class abilities in the first post of this thread, minus the ability to take 10 on Concentration when casting defensively, which they can do at 2nd level.

The free quickened spell per day can be up to a 2nd level spell with four levels of Bladesinger, or up to a 4th level spell with eight Bladesinger levels.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I think it's superior.

The 1/day quicken spell is a nerf I completely agree with.

One of my players really wants to play one, so we'll be playtesting it soon.

Brennin Magalus

First Post
I have not seen it in print myself, but based on what has been revealed here, I am pleased with the change. IMC, elves are sorcerers, never wizards, thus the old bladesinger was useless to me.

Remove ads