Sorcerers making magic items

Otterscrubber

First Post
When making a magic item it states that you must be able to cast the spell required or something along those lines. Does this severly limit a sorcerer's ability to make magic items to only spells he or she can cast or can you have a friend cast the spells for you during the creation process? Do the rules allow this? Can you use a wand or several copies of scrolls to achieve this help as well?

A sorcerer needs the ability to have the spell cast during the creation process. A sorcerer can't scribe a scroll of a spell he doesn't know. Of course "the ability to have the spell cast" means having a friend cast it, or having a wand or scroll (or other) handy.

AR

Otterscrubber

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
You can use wands to craft? Interesting.... Keep one charge left, and you can use it to craft its replacement...

Well you definitely have to be able to cast the spell once per day of the construction, so one charge would only work if the wand only took one day to make.

Conaill

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
You can use wands to craft? Interesting.... Keep one charge left, and you can use it to craft its replacement...
One charge per day of crafting! For example, a wand of a 4th level spell will need at least 21 days of crafting, meaning you need to use up at least 21 charges to craft the new wand. Similarly, you need at least 12 days and 12 charges for a 3rd level wand, 5 for a 2nd level one, and just one for a 0th or 1st level wand.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Next sorcerer I make is going to purchase some low-level "utility" wands and take Craft Wand to keep his supply up on his own... Suddenly, it's like he has a lot more than just a handful of low-level spells... :D

Norfleet

First Post
Otterscrubber said:
Well you definitely have to be able to cast the spell once per day of the construction, so one charge would only work if the wand only took one day to make.
I don't recall anything that says you actually have to cast the spell once per day of the construction. That means the single charge wand, if you consider wands to be acceptable prerequisite-meeters, is valid: You CAN have the spell cast once per day of the construction. Since you never actually *DO* it, the ability to cast spell is never depleted. I have a wand of fireball. Today, I can cast the fireball. Tomorrow, I can cast the fireball. The day after that, I can still cast the fireball.....because I haven't done so. Since I never actually *DO* it, 30 years from now, I can STILL cast the fireball, provided I never actually do so. I merely have to retain the ability to do so throughout the entire creation process. Even if you don't accept this, a fully charged wand is perfectly capable of meeting the prerequisites for any such creation now and in the future, because I NEVER ACTUALLY DISCHARGE THE ABILITY.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases