Reach weapon and Attack of Opportunity Question (and tactics for reach weapons?)

WonkaMania

First Post
Hey there everyone,

I've got a character I'm designing that is going to be using a reach weapon (Glaive). I have a question about AoO's:

So the character would not threaten the squares that are adjacent to him, but he would the ones that where 2 squares away. Now, would someone that was 3 squares away from my character incur an AoO as he came towards me to attack me? (when leaving the threatened square)

I'm pretty sure that's how it works but I just wanted to make sure :)

(so he'll really only be getting this AoO when an enemy first approaches him, because after that my character will step back 5 feet so he can attack said enemy, and then the enemy will just take a 5foot step forward to attack me).

Could the enemy prevent my attack by readying an action for when I take my 5 foot step backwards that he'll 5foot step forward and attack me? (much like one would do against an archer or a caster that was taking 5-feet steps back to shoot or cast). Actually, how do you go about doing that, readying against someone that took a 5 foot step back to perform an action?

Also, I've never actually played a reach-weapon character before. Can anyone give any tips/tactics about them? I figured that he'd have a spiked gauntlet for a back-up weapon for the times when he can't back up 5 feet to smack someone with the Glaive. (that or get the quick draw feat and have a back-up weapon).

Thanks in advance!

~Wonka

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
WonkaMania said:
So the character would not threaten the squares that are adjacent to him, but he would the ones that where 2 squares away. Now, would someone that was 3 squares away from my character incur an AoO as he came towards me to attack me? (when leaving the threatened square)

That's right.

(so he'll really only be getting this AoO when an enemy first approaches him, because after that my character will step back 5 feet so he can attack said enemy, and then the enemy will just take a 5foot step forward to attack me).

This is why you want to invest in the Spring Attack feat :)

Actually, how do you go about doing that, readying against someone that took a 5 foot step back to perform an action?

Simplest is just Ready an action for "when he attacks me".

Also, I've never actually played a reach-weapon character before. Can anyone give any tips/tactics about them?

Spring Attack. One of the best feats for a one-on-one Reach-vs-non-Reach fight.

Consider using a Guisarme instead of a Glaive, and going the Improved Trip route.

Combat Reflexes.

-Hyp.

Apok

First Post
Everything Hypersmurf said, plus a few extras...

Power Attack & Cleave
Knockdown (feat from Sword & Fist)
Lancer (Prestige Class from AEG's War book)

There are feats in War, Path of the Sword, and Mercenaries that give you bonuses to your opposed Strength check when tripping an opponent. I can't remember any of their names offhand, but definitely look into them.

Use your reach to your advantage by tripping everything that comes into range. The Knockdown feat makes this alot easier because you will automatically initiate a Trip as long as your attack does at least 10 points of damage. Combat Reflexes and a decent Dex are obviously a must, but be sure to pump alot into Strength. This increases both your damage capacity and your Trip rolls.

If you can, try to get the Enlarge spell cast upon yourself and permanized. The extra reach will be a huge benefit. Believe me, the Improved Trip + Reach Weapon combo is sick. It's probably one of the strongest fighter builds out there, IMO.

Remove ads