Into the Icy Darkness: The Great Demon War

drag n fly

First Post
Hi everyone!

I play Siabrey for this story. She's a really fun character to play, and our DM is great!

As a note, Siabrey's background story is posted at http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1265856#post1265856

Our dear DM also insists that I take some credit for helping to read and edit the write ups. I insist no such credit is due, as we both love to write (Siabrey's 15 page long background should relate that :))

I hope that you are all enjoying the story, and are looking forward to what more will come!

This is the first part of the game from 1-30-04, where the party discovered numerous plots developing about them, as well as had some harrowing escapes. This will be the first of many updates, which I shall post as I finish typing them....

===========================================

Embarassment, or Why One Should Respect the Sanctity of a Temple

The night for Siabrey had been a short one, for obvious reasons, and after several hours had ended with a pleasurable drift into sleep in Lucius’ arms... which felt much warmer than usual, but soothing nonetheless.

Her dreams initially were of her and him... together. She saw herself beside him, in a valley of green, walking through the trees together before laying down in a green meadow. The dream then shifted, and changed, to her at the manor of a childhood friend who she had not been allowed to be close to... her in the midst of a ball, a gala, with her and Lucius as the centerpieces as all of her friends that would have mocked her skin and her wings now looking on in sheer adoration.

However, the sun in the dream seemed strange. At first, it merely roiled, changing from its blindingly yellow white to a dull yellow... and then it grew larger, and larger still. As its form slowly began to take over half of the dreamy horizon, she felt heat coursing over her body. The other partygoers, even Lucius, had vanished as the gala changed to a parched landscape, the sun drawing larger still. Finally, she made out on its fiery visage a face, glowering and angry.

Fear coursed through her sleeping veins, as the powerful heat increased over her body, rising to the level of pain. However, the dark flaming face then broke into a small smile...

And she woke, sitting straight up in bed up with a small gasp.

The pleasant light from the sun outside streamed in through the small window in the room. Her clothes lay strewn across the floor, mingled with those of Lucius... carelessly tossed aside on the previous night. Lucius himself was standing in the middle of the room, reading something, though with only his trousers on. She could only see the side of his bare back, but she noticed it was unusually red. He turned on hearing her noise, and gave a smile.

”So... you’re awake?” he winced slightly as he turned his back. “And your... your back!” he pointed.

Siabrey then tried to turn to put her own naked back to the mirror so she could see, and a shooting pain ran through it. She winced hard, with a little gasp. Lucius was beside her in a second, though she heard him gasp as he leaned over, moving his back.

“I... ah... can’t see it. What’s wrong with it?” she said, her voice full of worry.

“Its bright red... as if it was scalded. Just like mine,” Lucius stood back up rather painfully. “I don’t know what happened.”

Its definitely not a floor burn, Siabrey thought as she painfully extricated herself from the randomly thrown about covers wrapped around parts of her in ways that now boggled her waking mind. Her upper body ached from the burn of some kind, while her lower body had dull aches for other reasons, now distant, pleasant memories. The process took several excruciating minutes, with Lucius gritting his teeth as he bent over to try and help as much as he could.

After she finally was able to rise, she and Lucius realized that her burns extended along her back, to the back of her legs. They did not look like severe burns...more like a mild case of sunburn. However, they hurt as if thousands of small daggers were prickling her back.

”Ah!” she winced again as she turned, now able to see her back with the wall mirror. It was beet red, just like Lucius’. How the heck did we get this bad a sunburn while indoors? “Would the priests of... ah!... Pelor have any healing salves maybe?”

Lucius winced as he looked through his bags for something, coming up empty. “I... ow! I dread putting a shirt on that will rub these burns! I can’t...” Siabrey then, with slight pain, folded her arms, covering up the upper part of her still naked torso.

“You’re partially dressed... so it’s less pain for you to put on a shirt than me to try to put on a shirt and trousers, my dear!” And until I get some salve, I am going to sit in here... I’ll be buddled if I’m going to run out there topless with no trousers!

“How about,” he said quietly, “we both go. That way,” he gave a weak grin, “if there’s some salve, we might be able to get it put on faster after we find it?”

Siabrey realized the logic was sound, but she still didn’t like the results. “Alright. I’ll help you dress if you help me.”

Lucius nodded, and looked a little crestfallen at the task at hand. He winced as he reached down, and gave several gasps as he pulled a shirt over his head, with Siabrey trying to help as best as her short frame could. Then it was her turn... a little easier because her shorter height allowed him to help without bending too much. After a good fifteen minutes of simply dressing with no shoes, the two went out into the corridor.

There, they found Tess, Pellaron, and Elenya already outside. Lucius broke off to find a priest, and Tess saw them, immediately her face went beet red as she walked up to Siabrey.

“So...” she whispered, “the sleepy ones awake. He wore you out?” Tess’ grin was full of mocking mirth, and Siabrey’s response was rather terse.

“It bears none of your business to find out,” she said, trying to turn away haughtily before her back reminded her that moving was a bad thing. She managed to keep the pain from going over her face enough that Tess pressed with her teasing.

”And I saw that the vials I slipped to you last night came in handy at least,” Tess’ grin changed to one of triumph, “I believe an ‘I told you so’ is in order.” Siabrey’s copper face blushed red, as shock went through her body.

“You saw? When? How?” she pressed, her eyes more shocked than dangerous. Tess laughed.

“One shouldn’t discount the curiosity of one’s friends, especially when they come in the morning offering food,” Tess giggled. “I unlocked the door to check on you for food, and well...”

Siabrey had to smile a little at that, and noticed behind Tess that Shaun was now out of his room... he was clad only in trousers, and his back was bright red as well...

Shaun quietly uttered a curse, as Elenya fretted over his sore back. His brand new tail twitched nervously with pain (he’d slipped it into a trouser leg to hide it) as she tried rubbing another healing salve on it... to no effect.

“Argh!” she groaned, noting the lack of effect, “Nothing’s working on this! Shauny, I can’t heal this, its gotta heal on its own! Maybe you angered a god or something, I don’t know what would cause something like this!”

Shaun grunted. “Thanks for trying, hon,” he leaned over with some pain and gave her a quick kiss for the attempt. He’d suffered a dream that was unknowingly, remarkably like Siabrey’s... a sun growing larger and closer, and a burning sensation before the sun went away. He then awoke, with his back and his legs red and sore.

Elenya had been fine, however, and she’d spent the first several hours of their morning, since the sun rose just above the horizon, trying various herbs and natural medicines she’d smuggled with her from Kulloden. “I sort of lied to my uncle,” she had confessed to Shaun earlier as she had tried limbrasweed on his back, “I told him I was headed to the next town over to get some supplies.” They’d shared a laugh at the quip, which Shaun’s back and shouted at him over. It was still shouting, and cried out in pain every time someone or something touched it.

He guessed from Siabrey’s winces of pain as she moved that she had the same problem... the same with Lucius. However, though, she’d noticed that neither Elenya, Pellaron, or Tess had any marks on them at all, and from under the ends of Xanadu’s sleeves he could see the half-elf’s arms were a little red, but he showed no sign of any pain. Lucius was now returning from wherever he had stumbled off to, with a rather well dressed priest in tow.

“Please come here, my brethren,” the priest said quietly, his voice full of compassion and something else. “I have a message for you from the High Priest of this Temple.”

Shaun painfully walked over to the rest of the group, as the Priest continued.

“His Holiness requests that you attend a private service to give honor to Pelor for your safe arrival, and your stay here.”

“A service?” he asked a little to incredulously. “But my back...” His statement ended abruptly as Elenya delivered a rather soft blow to the back of his head.

“We’ve been invited by the High Priest she hissed, “and in order to show respect, you should probably put a nice shirt on, at least!” Shaun was about to protest, till he heard Tess hiss the same thing to Siabrey and Lucius. Resigned to their fates, all three moped back to their rooms and spent the next half hour painfully changing into more appropriate attire.

When they emerged, the priest led them through the colonnades and marbled Temple corridors, deep into the heart of the massive structure. After several twists and turns, the group arrived outside a large set of bronzed doors, with an acolyte on either side.

“His Holiness will now receive you. May Pelor’s blessings shine on you all,” the priest bowed, and turned to leave. As he did so, Shaun blinked hard. He swore he saw the priest’s face start forming a grin.

The massive bronzed doors swung open, and Shaun and the rest of the party walked into what appeared to be the most opulent personal office any of them (save possibly Lucius) had ever seen. The floors were made of pink marble, the walls made of white marble, with large malachite columns flanking the sides. An ornately carved, ebonswood desk sat in the center, with a high throne like chair behind it. To the desk’s front sat enough smaller ebonswood chairs for the party to sit in, all neatly arranged in rows.

In the throne sat a man of rather average height, in the latter part of his middle age. He didn’t not wear the elaborate Robes of Ceremony that he would during a public function, but rather comparatively simple, yet colorful robes of a Pelor priest.

“Your Holiness,” Shaun heard Tess greet the High Priest, who smiled at her and gave a nod.

“Greetings,” his voice said, pleasant in tone and demeanor. “Please, be seated. Pelor has instructed me to impart upon you some words of advice and encouragement. It should not take too much of your valuable time... Pelor as well as my mortal self are aware you have much important business to attend to, business that will not only be beneficial to yourselves and our church, but to the cause of Good in the Valley.”

Shaun almost right away zoned off as the clergyman began his ceremony. In his childhood, he’d been dragged to many services he didn’t care for, and thus it was old nature to him to act attentive while his mind drifted to other items... Elenya, gold, notoriety. The priest was mentioning things about respecting the home of a host when one was a guest, when Shaun was suddenly brought back to paying attention quite suddenly.

”Thus was why some of you have awoke this morning touched, directly, by Pelor,” his voice said, stern and hard. Shaun gave a slight jump, which caused his back to complain loudly. The High Priest was looking directly at him.

“Pelor is pleased with what you have done so far in your journeys, but these deeds do not excuse you from acting in a proper manner within his Temple.” Shaun’s vision was riveted to the High Priest, he did not see the looks of shock and horror on Lucius’ and Siabrey’s face, and the looks of barely disguised mirth on the faces of Elenya and Tess.

“You,” the High Priest said, pointing directly at Shaun, “and your wizard friend, or should I say foe, engaged in hijinks more worthy of the Temple of Olidimarra and Saupious the Prankster, than Pelor, God of the Sun. For such frivolous disregard of the sanctity of this Temple in streaking through it with nary a thread on your body, Pelor could have enacted far worse punishment than a mere sunburn... such as burning fire on offending body parts. I ask you, that you keep such jests and pranks out of these hallowed halls, and save them for the other places I mentioned.”

Shaun found himself shrinking in his chair, his fear and embarrassment enough that he ignored the pain his back was giving him from its moving out of place. He eyes watched as the priest’s damning finger then pointed towards Lucius and Siabrey.

“And you two,” he continued, his voice still very stern and stentorian, “engaged in acts of fornication while in the hallowed halls of this celibate Temple. For such you received your burns. Take your activities to the Temples of Sune or Gladimarra, and not here within these walls. You too should count yourself among those with luck... for while Sune and Gladimarra might hold most sway over fertility, Pelor has not been left out, and has been known to use those who fornicate in his temples as vessels for children to be born, easing their conception.”

Siabrey visibly gulped, and Shaun saw Lucius slink down in his chair till his head was barely visible, his eyes filled with fear and guilt. Shaun turned back to the priest, and watched as the man’s face softened, and a smile slowly grew on his lips.

“However, as I said,” the priest began, his voice not nearly as hard, “Pelor recognizes your achievements, and also the fact that none of you are experienced with his rules and regulations. These sunburns bestowed upon you will fade away over the course of the day. Consider these a gentle reminder from the God of the Sun that you should act appropriately to your locale, and his blessings will continue to fall upon you. You are more than welcome to continue your temple stay, and I trust we shall not have any more ‘sermons’ of this unhappy sort.”

The party nodded, Lucius, Siabrey, and Shaun rather wide eyed.

“Good,” the High Priest then smiled. “You are free to leave then, and may Pelor’s blessings be upon you in your quest and through your days.” He made several divine motions, bestowing a blessing on the party. Afterwards, he rose, as did the party, and Tess walked to the front of the group.

“So... these were reminders to them then?” she asked a little concerned. She did not like the idea of many of the major party members wandering around into possible conflict with burns on their back.

“They are but minor reminders... they shall wear off in several hours. Pelor keeps in his heart the names of those who help him, and remembers their actions,” the priest smiled broadly as he closed several of the holy books in front of him. “If they behave during their stay, there won’t be any issue.”

Suitably chastened, the delinquent party members, and their innocent and now grinning comrades, left the offices of the High Priest and headed back to their accommodations. It was during this walk that everyone hears Lucius snap his fingers as he remembered something.

“I just remembered... Princess Zoe will be arriving this afternoon!”

===============================================

Yeah, the party got a little reminder to remember where they're at... punking them a little was fun :-D

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
And we transition to a new, shall we say, major complication. It seems to me that Zoe will surely have a problem with Siabrey frolicing with her fiance-to-be.

Aw, it's the perfect love story. One that truely could end in tradgedy or perfect happiness. Gotta love it. And I do.

Also, I must mention that magnificent touch with the gentle divine reminder. Really, if that were going on in a temple to me, I might have something to say about it too.

Last edited:

Yes... this next section is but the first in the party's dealings with the Princess... they ended up [sarcasm] REALLY liking her! [/sarcasm] :) More sections will come online as I finish them...

Part Two of the adventure from 1-30-4, known as...

Of Princesses, Politics, and Strange Chemicals in the Water... Part 1

Tess noticed Siabrey’s face squinch immediately at Lucius’ announcement that the Princess was arriving that day. As much as some small part of Tess admitted she would love to be in Siabrey’s place, she felt for the poor girl; a wandering mercenary versus the wits, charm, and wealth of a royal blood, the likely successor to the Imperial throne. The match seemed far too one sided.

However, Tess momentarily then saw Lucius’ reaction when saying her name, and saw a surprising amount of disgust emanating from his face. Tess knew that the Princess was far older than him, and it would likely be a political marriage, but she hadn’t expected absolute distaste to rise in his voice.

“I suppose,” he said quietly, “I should go to the procession as she enters the city.” He gave a genuine, saddened sigh, as Siabrey looked down. Momentarily, Tess saw him quickly lift his eyes back up... and they had a gleam.

A mischievous gleam.

Oh boy... this is never good when he gets that twinkle in his eye, Tess thought, remembering the hijinks in Kulloden the last time Lucius ran off to do something he thought was funny. As Siabrey is too busy moping, I should quiz him about it...

“What are you up to, Lucius?” Tess asked, raising an eyebrow and stopping in the middle of the Temple hallway. She folded her arms.

“Well, Siabrey?” Lucius asked in his sweetest, most innocent voice, “would you mind coming with me to the parade? I’d prefer to have some company while watching a boring procession of elephants, beasts and jugglers.” He then gave Tess’ friend a wink.

Oh... that wink said that something is going on either before or after the parade... Tess snorted quickly. Hmph... hopefully they’ll run to the Sune Temple instead of here! She watched as Siabrey’s face rose quickly, in a much better mood now that she would get to spend some time with Lucius. Tess, however, still was able to trace the thin lines of worry in her eyes... she was scared that this woman just might take Lucius from her...

“So you kiddies will be going to the parade then?” Tess asked. ‘Kiddies’ was only a relative term... Siabrey was actually three years older than Tess. The two lovebirds nodded, and Tess had to smile.

They are so into each other, it is almost sickening, her mind laughed.

“Run along then... just stay out of trouble!”

“Oh, we won’t get into any trouble... I’m refusing to sit in the noble’s boxes along the route!” Lucius beamed as he started to turn away.

What?! Tess mind snapped at the last comment. She was of very very minor noble blood... hardly much, but she knew enough that such a move could easily be considered an insult to the other nobles... not to mention that not sitting next to them would mean not being able to schmooze them for badly needed troops...

“Lucius?” she called after him, “are you sure you want to not sit with the other nobles? We are here trying to raise...” She stopped as Lucius raised his hand with a smile.

“Fair Tess, more than likely the Princess will have at least one gala, likely several, during her stay here in Irulas. Logically, she would invite me, as I am the object of her current pursuit. There can be plenty of ‘schmoozing’ and ‘elbow greasing’ then.”

A GALA? When... I need a dre... wait... I have the armor! Tess’ mind laughed. Her last major party event had been the Countess’ thank you banquet... before that it had been some time. And now, there was the possibility of attending an Imperial ball. A lazy smile spread across Tess’ lips as the pleasant thought went through her own head for a few seconds.

“When’s this... ‘gala?’” Shaun smartly asked, as it was fairly obvious Tess would like to know, but her mind was too wrapped up in daydreaming at hte moment to form a coherent thought.

“I don’t know,” Lucius grinned at Tess, who re-emerged into the conscious world slowly. “I’ll find out probably tonight. In the meantime, we’ve a parade to attend... maybe you can go and scout the city for information, and we’ll meet back here at dusk?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Tess said, her mind now refocused, but in a better mood. “Be careful you two... and Siabrey?” Tess reached into her pocket as Siabrey drew beside her.

“Remember... you are Lord Lucius’ bodyguard. Make sure he stays well,” she whispered, and handed Siabrey two of the same vials she had sent her the previous night. Siabrey grinned, stuffed them into a pouch, and mouthed quietly, “Thank you,” to Tess. Tess merely gave her a wink, and looked up at Lucius... who by his face apparently had seen none of the transaction.

After the two wandered back to their room to change, Tess turned to the rest of the party. “Well, you guys, I’m going to be heading out into the city, to try and skulk up some information.”

“I’m going to do the same... I’ll go try and find the Thieves’...”

Tess gawked at him, as did everyone else in the group. Thankfully, his voice was quiet enough that no one else heard. Shaun, rattled, cleared his throat and corrected himself.

“I’ll go try and find some friends and see if they have any information on Ilia or Rogar.” There were some slow nods around the group, and Tess mouthed silently to Shaun, “Don’t say that in public ever again!”

For Siabrey, the pain of putting on a decent dress to go to the chastisement service was nothing compared to the agony of donning her battle armor. Despite Lucius’ misgivings and sorrowful looks at her pain, she insisted on wearing it. She also intended on giving this ‘Princess’ a message... if she wanted to take Lucius, there would be a fight.

I will not let an uppity, palace groveling woman come in and steal my Lucius from me... not without a fight! her mind had been snarling since the news of Zoe’s arrival.

“Why? No one would be foolish enough to attack me in the middle of a parade, with the Imperial Guard all around!”

“I don’t trust this Princess,” Siabrey said with a grunt as Lucius put the back part of her breastplate on. “After what happened in Kulloden, I can’t trust anyone I don’t know.” Heaven knows I would kill myself if me not being prepared led to something happening to you. Seeing he was upset, she turned with a wince. “Besides, I am your bodyguard...” she winked. Lucius’ pained face changed to a grin.

“Well, you aren’t hurting that bad then, if you’re making wisecracks. That should be the last piece... you’re all done!”

“Hon... aren’t you going to wear your armor?” Siabrey said with some alarm as she saw him change from his drab travelling shirt to a blue silk one. You were the target of assassins less than a week ago, my love!

“No... too stuffy and obvious. I’m going to wear this,” he pulled out a blue and yellow silk outfit, piece by piece, its tunic emblazoned with the yellow eagle of the Caladron family. It was the nicest outfit of clothing Siabrey had ever seen.

Well, he is from the richest noble family in the region, silly her mind chastised itself for the instantaneous question of “how?” It then turned to more serious matters again.

“Lucius, are you sure?” She clanked over to where he was standing, and with some effort to not wince at the armor rubbing into her still sore back, she gave him a hug. “I don’t want anything to happen to you...”

“Yes, I’m sure. We’ll be standing in the middle of the artisans, not the common rabble rousers that might be tempted to cause us trouble. There will be Imperial Guards all about the parade route.. and should someone shout for help, who do you think they will respond to faster? Someone they don’t know in armor, or a finely dressed noble?”

Your family armor is rather distinctive as a noble’s armor, Lucius, Siabrey’s mind retorted, but she decided it probably wouldn’t be best to push it. She knew he could be a stubborn boy when he wanted to, and it looked as if this was one of those moments.

“Okay,” she gave him a kiss. “Lets go... and don’t stray far from my side... I am your bodyguard after all.”

I want her to know you are taken... to know that it won't be a simple dance to come and whisk you off to the capital...

It took the two of them about an hour to find the main street through the center of the large city where the processional march was occurring. As they slipped through the crowds towards the front (it was rather easy, the people fell away from the person they saw in battle armor and the noble walking by her side), they realized something was different... and wrong.

There were no jugglers, no elephants, no carnival like atmosphere, at least from those in the parade (as for the revelers alongside loving their day free from work, that was a completely different story). Instead, there was a regiment of soldiers... clad in the red and gold of the Imperial Guard, composite longbows on their backs and longswords at their sides. They swept by in perfect formation, perfect step, their faces stone cold.

Quite impressive, Siabrey’s mercenary mind thought. It instantly did a quick tally of the numbers in the unit. 10 across and 50 deep... 500 men.

As they sat and watched, the elephants and the like they expected never arrived, instead coming around the bend up the street from them were more soldiers in ranks. The only minor entertainment, aside from the street hawkers within the crowds of people, was the small band across the way, which played martial music as the troops continued to march by.

Siabrey did a quick estimate, counting each regiment that went by, coming up with 23 units by the point where she stopped bothering.

“Lucius?” she said, her voice a little worried, “whats going on here? I thought the Princess wasn’t bringing any troops...” She looked up at her compatriot, who was grinning. “What’s to grin about?”

“She is smarter than I thought, thank Tarantor!” Lucius laughed. “I’m betting she heard what was happening and mobilized the local Imperial armies... how many have you counted?”

“23 units of 500... over 10,000 marching by in the past hour and a half... if we can only get her to commit them to retaking Holstean as opposed to defending Irulas...”

Siabrey’s train of thought was disrupted, as the music from the band across the way... likely full of conscripted and less than pleased bards, changed from a soft march into something loud, blaring, thundering, with trumpets roaring as if to try and split the sky in two with their noise.

Siabrey glanced at Lucius, who then pointed up the street. En masse, the commoners were falling to their knees, and then placing their foreheads on the ground... a full, groveling prostration. It was as a wave, as the commoners falling to the ground came close and closer.

Steel yourself, Siabrey told her body, for she approaches! She is mortal, like all other women!

When the line reached Siabrey, she started to prostrate herself like the others, until Lucius’ arm caught her. To her surprise, he pulled her up to a simple kneel, as he was doing; one knee on the ground only. She started to open her mouth to ask why, but Lucius cut her off.

“You will kneel like a noble, not prostrate yourself like a commoner,” he said with a smile, and she suddenly realized the other reason he wanted her here besides her company...

He wants to send her a message too! He wants her to know he’s taken! He wants ME! Her heart melted with giddiness, and had she been alone with him she likely would have cheered and jumped up and down. As it was, she restrained herself to a large smile and staring deep into his eyes.

Lucius put an arm around her, and pointed with the other, as a figure on a bluish horse came around the corner up ahead at a trot. She was nearly Siabrey’s height, thin, with a darker skin tone than Siabrey’s copper, more brown than metallic. Her eyes were large and deep brown, offset by short black hair that was wrapped into luxurious curls. One her head, a platinum tiara gleamed in the sunlight, as its numerous diamond, emerald and ruby gemstones flashed light all around.

She turned, and spotted Lucius and Siabrey, alone among that side of the street at a noble’s kneel. He eyes first drifted to Lucius, and Siabrey saw a thin smile form across the woman’s face... a face that as she drew nearly looked ten years younger than her age.

As she drew alongside them, her face then turned to Siabrey. For a brief moment, there was a blank stare... then a look to Lucius of disbelief. Lucius tightened the pull of his arm around Siabrey’s shoulders, but said nothing to the woman who now towered over the both of them. The princess’ eyes flashed, her nostrils flared, and her lips curled into a deep, vile sneer directly at Siabrey’s face.

Don’t give me that look, wench! part of Siabrey’s mind, the combative portion, sneered right back. If you do it too much I’ll wipe the sneer off your face with my fist!

Don’t do anything stupid! her more rational mind called, Instead, stare right back at her... don’t move, don’t flinch... possibly even smile to drive home quietly and safely the point that you think she’s nothing more than a barwench in pretty clothes.

Siabrey’s face broke into a big, devilish smile, directly at the Princess. The royal’s eyes went wide with surprise, then anger. Before any quip could come to Siabrey’s mind, the woman had a riding crop out, and lashed her horse into a gallop, away from the staring contest she’d lost.

As the crowds slowly rose to their feet, Siabrey pulled Lucius close to her and gave him a kiss.

“Mmph. What was that for?” he asked with a grin.

“For helping me show up the wench,” Siabrey said quietly. Lucius burst into laughter, as the two slowly made their way out of the crowds, their curiosity at the Princess’ train (really an army) satisfied and their desires to tell her to back off partially fufilled.

“Well, hon, we’ll have to deal with her again... at the gala that will likely happen soon. Then, I’m sure, you might be a little more free to speak your mind,” he laughed, “as will I!”

“And what,” Siabrey asked, pulling him close as they walked into ever thinning streets, “will you tell her?” Her voice was a soft purr, as she knew his answer.

“Well... it will be a phrase that Shaun taught me.... ‘buzz off’ is how I believe its said!” The two shared more laughter as they made their way up the street. They were silent for a few moments, enjoying each other’s company more than words could say. Finally, Siabrey broke the silence.

“So... Lucius? Where shall we go now? The parade took shorter than we thought, and we’ve got five more hours till dusk probably.”

“I was about to ask you the same thing,” Lucius admitted. As they entered an intersection of two larger avenues in the city, Siabrey looked to her left, up one, and saw a large temple, with the figure of a woman holding a lyre in one hand, and a dove in the other. She felt in her pouch, and the two vials rolled around in her hands. She closed her eyes and smiled, a lazy grin that only those reminiscent about a very pleasant memory recieve.

“Um...hon?” she opened her eyes and pulled him to a stop, tugging him till he was facing the appropriate direction. “The High Priest said that was an appropriate location for hijinks.” Her grin conveyed a little more than mere mirth as he stopped dead in his tracked and then turned and stared at her for a few moments.

“Um... yes...” he stammered, “I think that Temple would be a good place to spend the afternoon... um... yeah... lets go... lets hurry!” he was already starting to walk brisky, pulling her along, giggling. Siabrey giggled as well, her heart alight at winning her first battle against her new foe, and now she was about to celebrate her victory with her love at the Temple of Sune...

Lela

First Post
Gee, making an enemy so quickly? Especially when you're angering what may be the most powerful woman within a few thousand miles. I hope that doesn't work out badly for you.

drag n fly

First Post
This is Valerian... I just happen to be on drag n fly's computer.

Part Three of the 1-30-04 adventure, known as:

Of Princesses, Politics, and Strange Chemicals in the Water – Part Two

While Siabrey and Lucius were busy showing up a princess and cavorting about in temples, Tess was busy trying to ferret out information from the city’s population on three major subjects:

First... any information they might have on developments in Holstean on Kulloden.

Second, any information flying about regarding the governor.

And finally, any information regarding the princess and her reasons for being here.

On the first subject, Tess was fortunate enough to run into a man outside a tavern near the city walls. He was fairly well lit up, and talked freely to the “pretty girl,” that kept asking him questions.

He blurted out that he had been on the Kulloden city walls when what was thought to be the Countess’ army marched up two days after the party fled. It turned out that it was a mere raiding force, with the main body marching further east. He mentioned a town he didn’t know, called Mephys, was burned to the ground... which immediately caused Tess to utter a foul curse.

We spent so much time, blood, and heart defending that little town! And now its gone!

Her emotions burning, she thanked the man, and went on her way. It took her several minutes to calm her emotions enough to continue her search for information, a search that revealed little other than hearsay and rumor. Some said that the Countess’ Revolt was really a plot by the Imperial Governor. Some said the Countess was a giant red dragon that spouted ice, some said that she would be flying overhead on the griffin any day. Tess sadly was able to only deduce the same information the intoxicated warrior had told her.

This listening to rumor and pulling people aside isn’t working, Tess thought as she walked idly by a public park. The rippling waters had a soothing effect on her annoyed soul, and she went to a bench to sit down.

How can I get these people to speak more information to me on such a subject as the governor and the Princess? How can I loosen their lips without... demeaning myself in some manner? She idly pulled out her harp and strung a few notes while she thought; it tended to ease her mind into arriving at quicker, better conclusions... and once again it helped.

A small crowd slowly gathered around her, as she accidentally went into a song.

That's it... right there!

She lustily broke into some of her favorite works, including Siabrey the Skeleton Crusher, The Harpists Best Friend, and Love and War. After each, the ever-increasing crowd thundered its applause, and to her surprise, coins landed at her feet.

She stayed there for several hours, playing a song, then milling amongst the crowd, meeting and greeting, getting to know people that were now more than happy to share information with a very skilled, very beautiful bard (no doubt many of the upper crust at the event had things in mind, hoping to woo her into following them). She rather quickly learned that the Governor’s change was rapid... overnight, and that he was enacting edicts against the Temple of Hieroneous in Irulas, the same temple he’d previously supported.

That is rather odd… how one would just… turn on a temple like that. He definitely is a doppelganger… but is he just on a joyride, living life as the Governor… or is there something more sinister afoot?

Rumor had it that the entire reason Princess Zoe had arrived in Irulas early was that she was sent to find out more about the Governor’s strange behavior, find its cause, and root it out. None in the crowd, however, knew much more than what the party had discovered already... he was withdrawn, refused visitors, and seemed... different. Tess isn’t sure of what to make of this information, but decides that on the morrow she will continue pressing for answers… and heads home 80 gold pieces richer than when she left.

So, at least Zoe isn’t part of the conspiracy… if there is one. At least that’s how it appears...

Shaun grimaced, his brain wracked out of ideas. His subtle hints and innuendoes to try and find the Thieves Guild had so far failed. He had tried asking where, “one that procures items for base cost,” could find work… no one had any clue what he was talking about. He’d asked where, “fencers fenced,” to receive only confused stares, and his requests of looking for men of “darker persuasions,” had led him to a brothel he cared not to remember.

It’d taken him six hours to find out… nothing. He was grumpy, and now frustrated.

Does anyone in this god-forsaken city know where the Thieves Guild is? How the hell does NO ONE know where it’s at? C’mon, for crying out loud!

He spotted an elderly gentlemen, who seemed slightly well to do walking up the street opposite him, and one a whim, and filled with boredom, he walked over, leaned over the man’s ear, and blurted out, “where’s the Thieves Guild, fair brother?”

“Underneath the money changers, about two blocks that way.”

What the…!

Shaun sat there in stunned silence as the old man smiled, turned, and walked off. Confusion rattled in his head.

Why did he… huh… what… I don…

And then it happened… again.

A black cat walked in front of him, heading towards a pile of alleyway garbage, and the urge came over Shaun yet again... the urge to chase the cat, and pounce on the small rat rummaging in the pile. With intense interest, Shaun watched the cat slink into position, not knowing his own movements were matching the animals.

There… just to the right… WHAT? What am I thinking?

His mind snapped back to human form yet again, and he shook his head. The thoughts had plagued him earlier in the day as well… he had sudden, irresistible urges to climb along the tops of fences, rummage through garbage, and run his cheek against the nearest human’s leg. The urges were thankfully brief, lasting only a few seconds at a time, but were very nerve wracking.

I think Xanadu’s magic has gone awry, Shaun gulped for the seventh time that day. His latest, and most certain conclusion, was that Xanadu’s giving him a cat’s tail had affected his brain in other ways… leading to feline urges.

Its almost dusk, his now sane mind thought, I should be heading back to the Temple… I need to get Xanadu to fix this… before I go nuts!

Shaun ran back to the Temple, at one point hardly resisting the urge to bound along on all fours. He’d caught himself in a half squat, and risen back to full upright position, his face red to all the confused and bemused onlookers.

Xanadu isn’t going to heal me by himself… I need someone to help me... he thought as he approached the Temple. From across the street, a loud call could be heard, echoing between the buildings….

“Shaun!”

Shaun looked to the left, and across the street were Siabrey and Lucius, also working their way back to the temple. Between the wagons and horses that rumbled by, Shaun then bounded across the street, and had to supress a laugh.

Siabrey’s long hair was normally in a single, neat braid... and now it hung about her shoulders like a muddled mass of crushed sunshine. Her face had a dazed, but rather pleased look, and Lucius’ clothes just didn’t seem right. It took Shaun only a second to put two and two together, and he started to giggle.

“So… Lucius… about…”

“Buzz off.”

Siabrey broke out into laughter… loud uproarious laughter. Shaun then knew for sure what had happened… Siabrey wasn’t this relaxed… normally she would have smacked Shaun across the face, but now she thought he was funny.

I gotta make sure she gets laid more often… maybe the back of my head will be safer!

Another part of his mind was curious though… and it’d been a while since he and Elenya had had any alone time…

“Lucius,” he whispered as he sidled up to the boy. He still didn’t trust that Siabrey’s mood swing was something permanent, “where did you guys go? What inn? C’mon… help a friend out!”

Lucius sighed, and whispered back to him, “Temple of Sune… three blocks down, a left, and then ten blocks down. They are open all hours, so you and Elenya can have your fun without being burnt.” Lucius then let out a little grin, and winked at Shaun, who promptly broke into a run for the Temple of Pelor.

My boy, he’s all grown up! Shaun thought for a second, before the baser parts of his mind interrupted with, Must find Elenya! Must get rid of enchantment! Then run to Sune Temple! Or should I get rid of the enchantment, then find Elenya…

His quandary was solved as he entered the Temple Library, where he saw Elenya leaning over Xanadu’s shoulders as the half elf busily tried to read a spellbook.

“What does that one do? There?” he saw Elenya point, and Xanadu’s shoulders rise and fall in a semi-annoyed sigh.

“That’s what's called a lightning spell, my dear… in simplest terms. It’s beyond your ability right now…”

“But I want to learn it! Oh, hi honey!” she fairly bubbled with happiness at seeing Shaun. He motioned for her to come over.

Elenya, I hope you can help me with this… he thought as she sauntered up. She was putting on a show, likely to break down into a teasing about his tail.

“So… Shauny… what's up?” she said saucily.

“Elenya,” he said quietly, his voice growing rather grim, “I… I need your help.”

“What for?” she gave a pouty face, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Boy, is she going to be surprised about my help request Shaun thought. If the situation hadn’t bothered him so much, he might have thought it was funny.

“Its about the tail…” She playfully pushed away from him, a laugh cascading from her lips.

“Oh Shauny… but I like the tail! I think it’s cute!” Her playful saucy voice returned, and Shaun instantaneously scrapped the idea of getting rid of the tail. He just needed to get his mind’s urges properly focused, and Elenya was the one to do it.

“Its… not the tail... its something else.” He tried to figure out how to properly put things as she cocked her head to one side, curious.

“I think Xanadu’s spell gave me some… um… feline urges? Like the need to rummage through…”

“Wait!” her voice came through the air like a lightning bolt, “He did what to you?”

“I… I have some feline urges… like… you know… pouncing on rats, yeowling at the moon…”

“Oh no! This is going to stop!” she snapped, her former playfulness now replaced with something sterner, angrier. “You and I are going to march right over there to that wizard and he’s going to give my Shauny his proper urges back! You should be having no urges other than urges for me!” Her arm clamped around his wrist like a vise, and like a bull elephant, the petite 5’1” girl thundered over to the sitting and unaware Xanadu.

“What have you done to my Shauny! Are you trying to turn him mentally into a cat!? You will fix this right now, mister! If this isn’t fixed…”

Ouch, she has a nasty voice when she is angry! Shaun winced as Elenya’s harsh, high pitched verbal assault continued, Remind me to never get her angry!

To his amazement, Shaun saw the wizard begin to melt under the force of her screeching and yelling. Rather meekly, he extended a hand, and Shaun felt a wave of magic come over him. There was no release, no “congratulations, your urges are gone,” but he knew it had been fixed.

“Thank you, Xanadu! I’m proud of you that you chose the right thing to do!” Elenya finished her harping with a motherly tone.

“Um… yes ma’am,” came the weak reply from the wizard.

I’ve never seen him so frightened of anything before! Shaun laughed, and he felt his tail flickering a little in happiness. Hon… you are the greatest! The absolute greatest!

“Hon… I love you!” he laughed as the two walked away from the still stunned wizard. It was then he remembered that he’d accomplished two of the three items on his checklist upon returning to the Temple. The third now needed to be dealt with.

“Elenya,” he ran in front of her and stopped her, grabbing her by the shoulders, “We need to go. Now.” He looked deep into her eyes, and saw a relaxed curiosity looking back.

“Where to?” she asked quietly as a smile crept onto her face, “I don’t want you getting another sunburn…”

“Temple of Sune. Now,” Shaun said, dashing into their room and grabbing another set of clothes. Elenya broke into laughter, and her giggles echoed up and down the hall as he frantically emptied a travel bag and stuffed it with clothes, as well as a vial of the alchemist’s stuff he’d stolen off of Siabrey’s bags.

“Slow down, Shaun, or you won’t have any energy left for when we get there,” she said rather suggestively, but he paid no heed.

“Doesn’t matter,” he grinned, “it’s the Temple of Sune… no hon,” he laughed as she grabbed for the book he’d liberated from Lucius the night before, “we won’t need that. I’m sure they hand those out like guidebooks or brochures or something!” Elenya laughed again, and dropped the book as Shaun grabbed her arm and dragged her outside.

A rather bored and annoyed Tess wandered into the main foyer, just as Siabrey and Lucius, disheveled, grinning broadly and walking strangely entered the foyer.

Silly kids, she thought. No sooner had her mind finished that concept than Shaun and Elenya dashed by, him with a bag haphazardly thrown over his shoulder.

“Where are you off to?” she asked, concerned about keeping tabs on party members in case an emergency arose.

“The Temple of Sune! We’ll be back in the morning!” Elenya called as the two flew out of the temple and into the darkening streets. Tess’ loneliness rose slowly in her, and coupled with her annoyance as a defiant shout came from her lips.

“Dammit, who put all the aphrodisiac in the stinking water! C’mon now!”

Part Four of the 1-30-04 adventure

Of Invitations, Generals, and Shopping for a Gala

As Tess’ loud cry of annoyance came back in its final echoes from the rafters of the Temple’s ceiling, a messenger, clad in the crimson and gold of the Imperial family, a golden dragon crest upon his chest, strode into the Temple and up to the still smiling Lucius.

“M’lord… I bear a message for you, from the Princess.” Tess watched as Lucius’ and Siabrey’s faces fell at hearing the woman’s name. The man then produced a small scroll, which he then handed to Lucius. The messenger then bowed, backed away for several steps, and strode out the door.

Likely the gala invitation, Tess thought as she walked up beside Siabrey and Lucius. I wonder if the rest of use are invited? she thought, peering over his shoulder as Lucius opened the scroll:

My Honorable Lord,

You are commanded to appear at a regal gala, that will occur three nights hence, honoring the arrival of Princess Zoe within the city of Irulas. You are invited to bring with your person one guest, in addition to three retainers and a single guest with each.

Lucius growled a sigh as his crumpled up the summons, turned, and looked at the rest of the group still there.

“Well, ladies and gentlemen, it appears we have a ball we have to attend.”

Tess frowned. Even with the settling information she’d scouted out over the course of the day, she still did not trust this Princess Zoe. We’ve been attacked at our sleeping area, we’ve been attacked on the road. Who is to say we can’t be attacked by poison in the middle of a party?

But it’s a GALA! the other part of Tess’ mind whined. You have never, ever been to an Imperial gala before! Imagine the lights, the sounds, the sights… elbow to elbow with the crème de la crème of the entire Valley… and if you can get a performance arranged in front of all of them… Her heart jumped a little at the thought, before her concerned mined came back, and the two thoughts tussled in her head.

“I don’t think we should go,” Tess says quietly, “ at least you, Lucius, shouldn’t go alone.”

“Lucius, there is no way you are going there without me. At the very least, I’m your bodyguard,” Siabrey stated matter of factly. Her eyes’ flashed in determination… Lucius wasn’t going to be stubborn on that.
Not to mention he’s more than that to you, dear, Tess finished what was undoubtedly Siabrey’s thoughts, even as she had to suppress part of her mind that wanted to giggle at the contrast between Siabrey’s dour, serious look and the disheveled and disorganized state of her hair and armor.

“Well, my dear,” Lucius leaned over Siabrey and kissed her forehead with a grin, “I have no intention of leaving you behind… nor you Tess, nor any of the others here… save perhaps Grumki,” he paused. “I’m not so sure his large frame and loud voice would fit in too well at a royal function.

Of course he’s not going to leave her behind! Silly… her mind started to fume a tad, before she bumped the control back to herself, Yes, you’re a tad grumpy again that she’s got him and you don’t… but hey, you DO have this glammered stuff…

“Grumki would likely be happier exhibiting his blessings from Kord at the temple,” Tess agreed.

“Well then… that just means that tomorrow, we all will need to go clothes shopping,” Lucius said quietly, a little dread initially in his voice. Tess, however, caught him taking a glance at Siabrey, and something else coming over his face… she made a note to ask about it later.

“How much do we have to work with?” Tess asked. “I’m fairly knowledgeable with matching colors and patterns, and as I won’t need a dress…” she twirled in her glammered armor, “… I’ll have plenty of time to help others out!” At last, a chance to add a little culture possibly to this rough and tumble group!

“Well,” Lucius began, “I have about 500 platinum left in my pouch here… after that, I’m going to need to ask the other nobles for some assistance.”

“You… what?” Tess almost screeched.

My brother’s men, the one’s that fought and died for you to reach here safely, were told they would be paid 15,000 gold… three times that amount! And you can’t pay them, after all they went through!? Her face evidently betrayed her rising turmoil, as Lucius looked directly at her when as he continued.

“Tess, I know about your brother’s men… and as soon as I can, I will pay them in full, and if I can afford it, with some extra.”

Well, I suppose I should see what his plan is before lopping his head off with Fa’rallan, Tess’ mind calmed down a little.

“I want to spend this last 500 platinum as any one of you might be crucial to gaining the funding and support we require, and you all need to look your best. Tess, I know that I won’t have to look after you…”

Tess gave a slight blush… it was the first time in a long while someone had acknowledged her good taste in clothes. That trait had unfortunately not been in high demand when demons blocked the roads to their front, and orcs charged up their rear…

“…but I think that Shaun, Elenya, and you, my dear,” he held Siabrey close for a hug, “might need some new clothes.”

“But I,” Siabrey started to complain, before Lucius’s look told her to be quiet.

“Now, tomorrow each one of you is going to get 50 platinum to spend on items… Tess and I will monitor and keep a lookout… alright?” There were nods, but Siabrey looked a little miffed.

Probably because she thinks all this money being spent on her is such a waste, Tess mused, as Lucius walked up to her.

“Yes, Lucius?” she asked.

“Um... Tess?” he asked quietly. “I’d like you to keep in mind that Siabrey is going to get an extra 10 platinum for her attire… someone besides me needs to know so one of us will remember tomorrow.” Tess smiled.

“Of course, Luke. Now,” she said quietly, in a conspiratory tone, “what do you think that she should buy? I’m thinking something in rose…”

Lucius frowned, looking at Siabrey as she walked up the hall. Tess looked at him, expecting a response… and after not receiving a response, she gave him an elbow in the stomach.

“Oof! Wha… what? Huh? Oh… I’m… I’m thinking yellow… strapless!” His grin was lazy, as if his mind was preoccupied with a pleasant daydream.

Hmm… maybe this guy doesn’t have a bad eye either… Tess thought, cocking her head to the side and looking at Siabrey also. “Why yellow?” It was more a curiosity question than anything.

“Yellow and Royal Blue are my house colors,” Lucius said, “and besides, I think yellow would compliment her eyes… and her figure…” his mind drifted off again, and Tess had to clear her throat to get him back. He jumped slightly, before turning slightly red with embarassment... which Tess had to grin at.

“Then, its yellow!”

Lucius grinned, thanked Tess, and walked off to his room…

Siabrey smiled, as she thought of Lucius in a dashing uniform at a gala ball. That’s far beyond Ilkbar’s party that my mom wouldn’t let me go to so many years ago. It’s an IMPERIAL GALA! Dancing, singing, Lucius!

She absent-mindedly danced through the halls for a few minutes, the noise of the music and banter filling the air, Lucius always at her side in her mind, his smiling face beaming down on her…

She stopped as she reached the library, and saw Xanadu studying several books.

I wonder what he is up to? she thought, walking up to him, and asking him if he was going to the gala. He said he wasn’t… that he’d be more useful researching here than, “cavorting about in the palace, acting like a fool.”

A little set back, Siabrey then went back to her room, tired and happy for the day. She opened the door to find Lucius once again sitting cross-legged on the floor, reading out of a rather large, frumpy looking book.

Another one? her mind asked, with a tired but happy smile. Unlike before, he didn’t hide the book, and merely shifted it so she could see the title…

Manual for the Evolution of Military Corps and Troops.

“Um…Lucius? Why are you reading that?” Siabrey asked quietly. Compared to his recent reading choice, it seemed far out of character. He looked up at her, and for the first time all day almost, his eyes had no mirth or laughter in them… merely serious thought… and a little confusion.

“The Governor said that I must command the troops heading out to fight my mother,” he paused for second and sighed, “but I don’t know anything about controlling an army, or marching it around! Nothing! So I got this book… but I don’t understand any of it!” His face grew a little red as he vented his frustration, and Siabrey sat down next to him, gently stroking his hair.

“Its ok. I’ll see if I can help you.” He leaned over and gave her a quick kiss of thanks, before pointing to his question… on the third page of the entire book.

“What’s moving in echelon? Why would I want my soldiers to be in a crooked line like that… wouldn’t it be better to be in a straight line?”

As more questions came flying out of Lucius’ mouth faster than a rabid squirrel possessed by a haste spell, Siabrey’s mind grew more and more befuddled in a molasses of misunderstanding.

I don’t understand any of this! I was a freelancer… I didn’t work in armies! What the heck is a coup de main? Cavalry moving echelon flank rear… what? The pictures and cryptic notes in the book confused her further, as Lucius looked at her with hopeful eyes for each question, only to receive the same answer:

“I have no clue.”

Finally, he slammed the book shut and let of a frustrated grunt.

“I’m sorry, honey… I don’t know any of this!”

“Its ok,” Lucius said quietly. “Don’t blame yourself… do you know anyone that might know?” Siabrey’s mind grew much happier at the potential solution.

“Not off the top of my head,” she started, “but I can try to find someone! Gimme a second!” she blurted as she dashed out of the room.

Hmm… Pellaron… Pellaron knows about warfare! He’s a paladin! He’s a fighter! A few minutes later, she had practically dragged the confused elf to Lucius’ side, where unfortunately many of the same answers were heard. Desperate, she then went back to the library, to find Xanadu still seated, reading from the same book.

“Xanadu?” she asked. “Do you… um… know anything about warfare? About tactics?”

Xanadu looked up from his reading quietly, and looked into her eyes. “Why?”

“Lucius is trying to read a book on military tactics… but he doesn’t understand any of it. Neither do Pellaron, or me. We thought that maybe our 700 year old friend might have played soldier at some point in his long life,” she tossed out a bit of humor. To her surprise, he responded with a wan smile.

“At one point, many many years ago, I did,” he said quietly. “I shall go set the young man straight. Take me to him!”

Thank god Siabrey thought as she led Xanadu back to Lucius’ room, which now included her boy, Pellaron, and a couple priests of Pelor who were also clueless. The wizard sat down next to the boy, and quickly and concisely began explaining terms to him.

It took several hours, as Siabrey, Pellaron and others sat around, trying to learn as much as they could as the elder half elf fired off responses every half second it seemed. They hardly understood much of what he said, and Siabrey knew full well that Lucius was only memorizing what he heard, and not analyzing any of it (it was barely what she could manage).

I’m not sure my love has learned anything, she thought quietly as Xanadu finished his rapid-fire summation of batalion carrere tactical formations.

“Um…” Lucius said quietly, “Xanadu, could you possibly run a mock battle for me tomorrow, so I can practice some of these things? I don’t think I understand yet…”

The wizard laughed, and agreed, offering to meet the boy outside the Temple after they returned from buying clothes. Lucius thanked him, and soon the entire entourage in the room cleared out, until Lucius and Siabrey are left alone.

“He is going to shred me tommorrow,” Lucius said as he began undressing, “but I will learn.” He turned to Siabrey, and tapped his forehead.

“You’re a smart boy, you will,” she said with a smile as he plopped himself into bed beside her. She gave him a quick kiss, and smiled again, “If you don’t, then I’ll have to go out there and save you from his paper armies and tactics!” That sparked more laughter, and the two, tired from the day’s recreations and just a tad sore, settled down for a nice cuddle before falling asleep in each other’s arms.

Tess walked into her brother’s room, quietly closing the door behind her. Quin still heard, and sat himself up on his new arm.

“How’s your arm feeling?” Tess asked, setting her brother’s supper down in front of him. He sniffed the air and smiled at the ham and eggs.

“Much better… it feels almost like the old one!” he proudly announced. He moved his arm around in the air as if he was leading an orchestra, proudly showing off its dexterity for her. “What about you, sis? How is the world treating my Tess?”

“Fair ‘nough,” came Tess’ reply. “Though it looks like I get to attend a GALA this week!” she grinned, and her brother rolled his eyes.

“Good for you Tess… don’t expect me to come, though. You know how I absolutely hate social dances.”

“You sure? You’ll get to see me in a gorgeous dress!” Tess tried to tempt him, but came up short. Instead, she settled for talking with him for the rest of the night.

Next morning, Shaun and Elenya happily walked back from the Temple of Sune back towards Pelor.

I cannot believe this woman! Shaun grinned, his body still tired from lack of sleep, and slightly sore from the exercise. It seemed that he learned more and more about how he thought Elenya was perfect every day… about how she cooked, about how she cared for him, about her good looks (of course, that was the first thing he noticed), and now… other things…

“Hon,” he said as he walked oddly, “I think the priests are keeping those notes.” Elenya grinned a proud smile, as if she was proudly displaying a prized kitten. The two turned down an alleyway, a shortcut that Shaun thought would take them to the Temple of Pelor much quicker.

“I hope they keep some notes… I stretched my creativity there!” she laughed.

AS they reminisced about the previous afternoon… night… and morning, they barely noticed a small halfling man who stepped into their path before they almost ran him over.

“Good day, good sir and lady. Do you have any alms to spare the poor?” the man’s voice, unusually deep and foreboding, asked.

“Um…” Shaun thought for a few seconds, before reaching into his money pouch and pulling out 5 gold to give to the man, “…here. May the gods bless your future this day.”

Within a second, the halfling had produced a dagger, and began waving it menacingly towards Shaun. “How about you donate the rest of you pouch to me, and I’ll let you keep your life!”

What the…? was Shaun’s initial reaction… he had so long been the thief that he was unused to being thieved. Without a word, Shaun draws his rapier in a flash, and the butt of the blade crashed into the halfling’s head, sending his brain swimming.

“Stupid bastard,” Shaun growled, preparing to smack him again when Elenya produced her hands, and an arcane word rose in the air as a light flashed intense and bright in the man’s eyes.

“C’mon Shaun!” she said, pulling him away from knocking the man out, “we should get away before his friends arrive?”

“Yeah… right. That’s what you get, you sick bastard!” Shaun snapped at the blinded man as Elenya dragged him away.

As they arrived back at the Temple, the found that everyone else, save Pellaron and Xanadu, were just heading out.

“Um… what's up? Where’s everyone going?” Shaun asked. He saw Tess give him and Elenya a scowl, and put on the most innocent face he could muster… which failed. He then settled for a big, obnoxious smile.

Yes… me and Elenya had an active night… so? Upset a bit, are we Tess?

“We’re headed out to buy some clothes for a gala we’ve been invited to,” Tess said rather sternly, as Shaun finally figured out her annoyance was likely more at their late arrival than their previous activities. His mischievous smile then fell to an embarrassed grin.

I can’t believe I’m being dragged into dress shopping yet again! part of Siabrey growled. She still remembered the horror of being dragged through Holstean by Tess, and the resulting horrible pain that the red, corseted horror that came from the trip caused.

Oh god… please, no more corsets she hoped, but she knew with her wings, that was a wish that would sadly probably not come true.

They accept your wings… who you are… but the others at the gala won’t necessarily do that. You must protect Lucius from their confusion at seeing you… as well as yourself now.

Lucius had informed her that morning that he was taking her as his consort… his official confidant and lover. It was a title with no rank of its own, though being known as the Consort of the second highest ranking noble in the Valley after the Governor himself would carry a great deal of weight.

Tonight, I’m going to have to watch my tongue carefully… only use my words to help Lucius, not myself she thought as the party drew nigh to a the small, elegant shop that information had pointed to as the most debonair in the entire city.

As she entered, Siabrey’s senses were immediately assaulted by the sweet smells of perfume, as her eyes took in the fact that the walls, chairs, and floors were covered in velvet or silk. As in Holstean, almost immediately the group was surrounded by a horde of assistants, who fussed and fettered. Tess immediately came into her own, acting as the proud commanding matriarch, general of her adopted armies of tailors and jewelers.

First was Elenya, who Tess supervised into a transformation from a barmaid and minor magician into a stunning beauty, clad in green and blue with yellow highlights on her dress. Next came Shaun, whose royal outfit was retailored to now include Lucius’ family colors, in addition to a big, puffy hat with a large feather. Shaun immediately fell in love with the hat, and refused to take it off the rest of the day. Next came Lucius himself, who had his own nobles outfit altered and set properly with a few gemstones to impress onto onlookers his rank.

Finally, with some apprehension, Siabrey realized it was her turn. Her apprehension grew as she saw that Lucius was now standing next to Tess, and both had quite… dangerous grins on their faces.

“What… what are you planning?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. “I’ve been with you two long enough that I know when you are plotting something! Out with it!”

“Oh… nothing,” Lucius gave an innocent blink of his eyes. “Just that we picked this dress out for you.”

Picked a dress out… what?

The dress was long and flowing, yellow with small traces of blue running along its piping. Atop the dress was a tiara, set with rather large rubies. With a shriek, Siabrey grabbed the tiara and set it on her head, and looked into the mirror, shrieking again when she saw it.

Oh my God… I can’t believe Lucius spent THAT MUCH! Oh my God…

“You bastard!” she shouted as she punched him playfully in the shoulder. “You shouldn’t have! Take it back! It’s too much!”

Lucius ducked the next weak flurry of blows, before commenting, “I think you are really going to hate me after you see the dress.”

Siabrey lifted the dress up, and gasped as she saw how gorgeous it was, yellow and blue, with small diamonds woven into it. She turned the dress around, and then her face went white.

“There’s… there’s no back… wha… why is there no back?” she asked, in alarm. I can’t wear this! It doesn’t cover up my wings! What is Lucius thinking!? They’ll be afraid of me! They’ll hate me… and thus hate him!

“I can’t wear this, Lucius! It doesn’t…” Her protests were stopped as a single finger from him covered her lips. She started to complain again, and he just rested his finger there until she stopped her noises.

“That’s why I brought this… it cost me ten platinum.” He held out to her a bag, roughly the size of a small coin bag. Siabrey took the bag from him, and gingerly opened it, revealing its contents; a soft, golden colored dust that danced the colors of the rainbow in her eyes.

“Lucius? What is this?” she said in shock.

“Its electrum dust, my love,” Lucius grinned like a schoolboy that had just finished the biggest prank in school history. “You can sprinkle it over your wings, and they’ll change from a winged oddity to a dress accessory that will be the talk of the party. All the others will envy you… and best of all… no corset crushing them against your back!”

He… what? Siabrey was almost crying. No corset? They’ll like me… and like my wings? No hiding? An entire childhood of secrecy and hiding began to well out as she gripped Lucius tightly in a crushing bear hug… tight enough that her small frame caused him to gasp a little.

“I saw how much you squirmed at the Baron’s with that old dress on. No more,” he smiled once he regained his breath.

“I love you… so so much!” she giggled into his chest. I look like I always wanted… and no one will laugh at my skin, no one will laugh at my wings!

Her mind dashed back to all those years ago, and for once, she didn’t wish she could go back and head to Ilkbar’s party. She was happy with the here and now, and wanted only to get to the gala, and confirm that her hopes would be true…

Lela

First Post
Written yesterday just before boards went down:
Emperor Valerian said:
“Dammit, who put all the aphrodisiac in the stinking water! C’mon now!”
You know, that sounds a little too much like a plot hook I'd drop into the mix. Talk about playing with the PCs emotions. ;)

It's practically evil. Now, just to get my PCs to trapse about the same way. . .Wah, idea!

Thanks Valerian! Bright light bulb now floating above my head. You rock!

Lela

First Post
Written upon reading new update:

Okay, exactly how does the electrim powder work?

I was wondering something. Who are the current PCs right now? I know Shaun, Tess, and Siabray. I'm gussing that Pellaron is too but I'm not sure.

As a note, it's amazing that I can't tell and a true testiment to your writing. It really shows that there's a world going on outside of the player characters while highlighting the influance they have on it. Excellent.

Heh... that line came from Tess’ player out of character officially, but it fit in so well with something Tess would say that I threw it in anyways :) There was no aphrodisiac in the water; it was more Tess was very frustrated...

This brings us to part five of last session, titled...

Of Preparations and Evil Afoot

The party’s orders are confirmed, and with the exception of Shaun’s hat, they will all be ready to be picked up the day of the ball. The party then split up for the rest of the day, as Tess, Siabrey, and Shaun all went about business previously planned, while Lucius returned to the Temple to receive his “field training” of sorts from Xanadu....

Siabrey glanced back towards the clothing shop as she walked down the street. Part of her wanted to whistle a happy tune at her recent luck with dresses, and at her beau, but a larger part of her felt glum at a piece of news Tess informed her of as they left the store.

It appeared the governor, for some reason was targeting the Church of Hieroneous... the Church that upheld Siabrey’s faith. This had caused her mood to mellow greatly.

Why? Why would the governor target my faith... that upholds law and justice? She knew that evidence was pointing that the governor was a doppelganger, yet still it wouldn’t make sense for him to do such a thing.

From what I’ve read, her mind reflected as she walked down the street, doppelgangers aren’t necessarily evil... many are into taking over people for a good time, and don’t want attention drawn to themselves. Attacking and trying to hurt the most popular Church in the Imperial officer corps will DEFINITELY draw attention to oneself...

She rounded another corner, and saw up ahead of her the massive Temple to Hieroneous the Valorous, the largest temple in the city of Irulas. The massive building complex easily covered tens of thousands of square feet, a large courtyard in its center, dominated by a 20 foot gilt statue of General Heraclius, a devotee of Hieroneous that held the city for several weeks versus impossible odds.

It’s scary, in a way, Siabrey thought, reflecting on her armor back at the Temple of Pelor, When I go into battle... I am wearing a piece of history...

Devotees wandered about inside the massive open space, and Siabrey selected one of the smaller chambers off to the side to idle off towards and pray. She strode in, took one of the ceremonial candles, and lit it, setting it at the feet of one of Hieroneous’ saints, Derocles. She knelt quietly and prayed for the first time in several weeks

Lord Hieroneous, I ask for you strength in my arms in the coming days. We strive against a great evil that continues to follow us. I ask that you place your protections on my fellow travelers... and Lord Hieroneous, I ask for your special protection on my lover and friend Lucius Caladron... for he is besieged within and without, by his family and friends...

She stayed and prayed for several more minutes, then rose, blew out her candle, and walked back into the courtyard to find a cleric to talk to.

I want to find out if the clergy here have any idea why the Governor might be doing this...

She stops a cleric soon after, and brings up the subject of the governor... and to her surprise, he spills out information, he himself clearly confused by the governor’s change of heart.

“Governor Akkadius was even six months ago, one of our staunchest supporters! Then, he suddenly stopped attending services. This, while unusual, was not unheard of... but then he started demanding we recall our paladins on assignment. This spread to him then accusing the Church of not paying its taxes, and now, he wants our statue of Heraclius, which he gave us two years ago, to be melted down!” the priest grew more and more distraught as he spoke, and Siabrey was forced to pat him to calm him back down.

“I come from a band that wishes to find out why the governor has changed himself like this, friend cleric,” she said reassuringly. Ok, it’s for sure he’s a doppelganger or shape shifter now. “Is there any other information you or one of your brothers could give me to help me out in my quest?” The cleric sadly shook his head.

“No, I’m afraid. If we knew more, likely we would have launched specific enough complaints that the Governor would be removed. We haven’t seen the Imperials so hard against us in over a millennia, since a devotee of Hextor sat on the Governor’s throne!”

Hextor? Siabrey’s mind asked, who is Hextor?

Tess, in the meantime, decided to gear herself up for properly attiring herself for a gala. While she was giddy about the chance to dress herself up, there was also a practical side to her search for items to increase her beauty: people, especially nobles, tended to loosen they’re lips around those they find attractive. As much as she wanted to party, to dance, and to perform, she also wanted to get as much information as possible. Finally, no one would expect that the drop dead gorgeous blond was wearing armor, and prepared to defend her charges in any way possible.

Quin would be proud of me, Tess thought with a grin, I did pay attention SOMETIMES to the family business! She whistled as she walked through the streets, looking for a minor magic shop to spend some of her cash in.

Something pretty... earrings, necklaces? A ring or bracelet? her mind debated. She already had extremely becoming earrings, though her mind thought a necklace of diamonds or sapphires might contrast excellently with her graceful neck.

After a little asking around, she found a small, rather cheap shop along an out of the way street that sold “strange items,” more than magic. She was greeted inside by a white haired elf... an oddity in and of itself. After a few requisite greetings, she pressed her cause.

“Sir, do you have any small scale magical items that could help someone improve their beauty?” She leaned over the counter, asking politely and hoping for a discount. Cheaper items mean more useful ones I can get.

”Well,” he said, rather unfazed by her charisma, “I have two items you might want to look at. This here,” he reached towards a red rose laying on a shelf, “is something really simple a gentleman brought in several weeks ago. I call it ‘the ever smelling rose.’ It spreads a smell of roses through the area around it... and would likely look pretty in your hair (DM’s Note: In game terms, its merely pretty).”

“Then, I also have this,” he reached for a set of women’s lipstick near the rose. “It is a far more powerful item, as it magically increases your beauty when applied. Makes your lips seem fuller, and... what’s the human term? Ah... poutier, I believe. Drives men crazy (DM’s Note: Item adds a +1 bonus to charisma checks).”

Tess picked up both, and sniffed the sweet perfume of rose while holding the lipstick beside her mouth to check its color. Sure enough, it was a beautiful match.

“How much would the rose cost, and how much would the lipstick cost... each?”

“Ah...well,” the elf began by sliding the ladder he’d been using to reach the items back into position, “the rose is a rather cheap item, though nice... perhaps 130 gold. The lipstick is powerful enough that it warrants a far higher price... perhaps 1,200 gold.”

1,200 gold?! Tess’ mind balked. She had the money, but as good as the lipstick looked beside her lips, her lips could use normal coloring if it would save her that much right now.

“Ah... well then,” she handed the lipstick back to the shopkeep, “I think I’ll just take the rose then.” The shopkeep nodded, and with a smile took her money and thanked her for her business.

1,200 gold! her mind still complained as she left the shop, Outrageous!

Shaun, meanwhile, did not whistle as he walked, and no part of him had any inclination to whistle. Instead, his brain was wrestling with a problem.

How do I get into the Thieves Guild here?

In Kulloden there had been a secret knock. Here, the knock was likely different... if they even had a knock.

I guess I’ll just have to bluster my way in he thought as he approached the moneychangers that had been indicated to be the residence of the guild.

He walked into the building, to find a room with rather uncomfortable benches along the walls, were errand boys and minor merchants sat side by side with pouches of coin, patiently waiting to have their coins or nuggets weighed, measured, and converted into the proper bullion. Near the back, a door was being covered by the shadow of a very large, stern, non-moving man.

I think that’s where my target should be... Shaun thought, and boldly strode up to the man.

“Good day sir!” he beamed in his best smile, “may I have the courtesy of knowing your name?”

“Grrr...” the man growled, taking Shaun aback for a second. Yet he pressed on.

“I say, that does not sound like your proper name. Please, for my own edification, what is your name? What do you do?” The man’s angry eyes blinked hard.

He’s confused... I’ve got him on his rocker. Now, to finally push him aside...

Shaun leaned close. “I am on important Guild business from Iskeldrun. You had best let me aside, or the elders shall certainly pour their wrath on you,” he said in the quietest, yet most menacing voice he could muster. Despite the fact the man held a five-inch advantage in height and likely 40-pound advantage in muscle, he stepped aside, allowing Shaun to open the door and descend down some stairs... to yet another door. As the upper door closed, Shaun rapped on the door in the same manner as at Kulloden.

I hope this works! he wished, as an eye peered out of the peephole, and suddenly the door flew open. A hand grabbed Shaun hard, and almost threw him inside before the door slammed shut.

“Who are you?” snapped a rather roguish human, who now was in Shaun’s face, his voice angry and questioning. “Speak quickly, or you shan’t speak again!”

“My name is Shaun Dice, I am an initiate from Kulloden,” Shaun said matter of factly, with a little pride thrown in for dramatic effect. Might as well blurt out the truth... leaving aside the fact I am currently working with a high noble, among other things.

The man growled, and motioned for two larger, more burly fellows to come out. They roughly grabbed Shaun’s arms, as the man walked over towards an ancient looking desk.

“You may well be,” the first man said as he opened the desk and began rifling through papers, “but should you not be on the members list, I’m afraid you shan’t live to see the other side of that door.”

Oh god.... I hope the mail arrived, Shaun found himself thinking. The smaller man rifled for a few minutes, before grabbing a piece of paper, reading it twice, and then turning, motioning for Shaun to be released.

“It appears you tell the truth, Mr. Dice,” the man said, setting the paper back into the drawer before closing it. “How may the Thieves Guild of Irulas assist you?”

“As you are probably aware, I am looking for a woman, who goes by the name of Ilia, or the name Rosalyn. She has long blond hair, a scar on her face, and an eye patch. She owes me over 8,000 gold, and owes the guild over 2,500 gold.” Not to mention she was responsible for several assassinations of friends of mind, and that she’s in cahoots with a demon....

“Ah... yes... Rosalyn Ilia,” the man said with a knowing smile. “We’ve been chasing her for a bit. Last report, she was headed west by horseback. She crossed the Inerman only three days ago... God knows why she’s headed out there...”

What’s out west? There’s the last chains of the mountains, for sure... the foothills beyond, and then... Ak Konylu.

Ak Konylu had been an ancient kingdom nearly rivaling the Empire in overall power. However, several centuries ago, the kingdom’s succession fell into doubt, and civil war had started. The fighting still continued to this day, with city versus city, town versus town as minor lords struggled for dominion. It was only recently that a large portion of the Kingdom had reorganized itself.

The Empire did not like Ak Konylu because of its people... most were half-breeds, which the Empire derisively called “mongrels.” However, as many of these “mongrels,” were partially of races that were stronger, faster, or any other combination of superiority to the average human, the Empire viewed Ak Konylu as a threat. To keep the rival from rising again, the Empire had actively meddled in the civil war, prolonging it, to the chagrin and hatred of the Ak Konyluites.

“Ak Konylu?” Shaun asked, seeing the potential for some major trouble arising there.

“Perhaps... though Olidimarra knows what she expects to get from the infighting mongrels.”

An army, perhaps? An army of half humans? Shaun thought, his mind growing more alarmed.

Remove ads