Into the Icy Darkness: The Great Demon War

The following is Part Six of the adventure on 1-30-04, entitled

Thou Shalt Schmooze Thy Noble, Part One

Siabrey was the first to return to the Temple, and she found, in the Temple courtyard, Lucius and Xanadu sitting across from each other in the middle of a spot of clear dirt. Both had small rocks of varying colors arrayed in front of each other, and both had frustrated looks on their faces.

“No!” Xanadu suddenly snapped as Siabrey approached, and she watched as he rapped the end of Lucius’ extending hand with a stick. “Cavalry does NOT charge formed infantry! You should know that by now!”

He’s beating the poor boy down, Siabrey thought as she watched Lucius get smacked several more times for mistakes. Pitying him, she decided to move in to intervene.

“Xanadu, go easy on him! He has never commanded before!” she said coming up alongside the two. Lucius looked up with a look of thanks, Xanadu with one of annoyance.

“If being harsh on him teaches him how to properly command troops, then I shall be harsh. An actual battlefield is a very unforgiving teacher, far more than me.” Xanadu then looked back towards the battlefield, and shifted a red colored rock forward, till it contacted the lone blue rock on Lucius’ side. “There! See... you left your spellcasters wide open, so my cavalry rode them down! You just lost the battle, boy!”

Lucius gave a sigh, one mixed with frustration and sadness, as the two realigned their forces of stones into lines closer to themselves once again. More irritated at Xanadu’s behavior, Siabrey spoke again.

“Oh, its his first battle! He can learn! I bet you lost your first battle!”

Xanadu suddenly stopped resetting his pieces, and looked off into the distance, some far off and distant war raging again in his mind. After a few seconds, he shook his head back into the present, and looked at the malcontent that dared interrupt his lessons.

“As a matter of fact, yes, I did win my first real battle.” He then returned to setting his pieces right. Siabrey huffed, and then looked at Lucius.

“Hon, don’t get down... you’ll catch on. Here, I’ll go get you a cream pie... you know you want one...” she grinned, hoping to improve his dour mood. He grunted as his pieces can back into place.

“I’m not hungry, hon,” he said, concentrating on the pieces in front of him, “I’ll eat later.” He then broke his concentration on the dirt field long enough to look up at her with a small, wan smile, however. “Thank you for asking, though.” She bent down and was about to kiss him when the voice of a returning Shaun broke the moment.

“Siabrey! Don’t you know that being a mattress general and a field general are two entirely separate things?” A muffled snicker rose from Xanadu, and Lucius even grinned, suppressing laughter. Siabrey, however, was not amused. She clanked over towards Shaun, and smacked him in the side of the head.

“What?” Shaun said, in an annoyed and hurt voice, “it was a joke! C’mon!”

After everyone had returned, the party compared notes, and the full danger was slowly beginning to appear in their faces. The governor had changed suddenly, and was now going after the major temple of the Imperial army officers. The Princess was sent to investigate him in person, and most alarmingly, Ilia was apparently headed to the kingdom of Ak Konylu, in all likelihood trying to raise another army.

Further searches the next day, their last free day before the ball, confirmed many of these hypotheses... though the most alarming one, the one regarding Ilia, remained a mystery...

The next evening

Oh... he looks perfect Siabrey’s mind purred as Lucius walked out and took her hand, leading her towards the carriage that would take them to the Governor’s Palace, even as she felt a slight bit of anxiety. Even as she glanced at him, her hand reflexively gripped her dress sword... well... the Temple of Pelor’s dress sword. It wasn’t her normal katana, and it wasn’t a field grade weapon (It would likely break after a few strikes), but it would be enough to provide them with some defensive striking power in case something went bad... something to last long enough they could flee, hopefully.

Shaun walked by, looking smart in his newly refurbished outfit, his hat, and a dress rapier at his side. Tess, meanwhile, was able to carry Fa’rallan herself, as her gilt handle and guards made her look exactly as the other, weaker dress blades.

Lucius walked over to Siabrey, and with a deftness that was no doubt drilled into his head through etiquette training as a boy, helped her into the carriage. She and him, as the Lord and his Consort, would ride alone, while a second carriage picked up Shaun, Elenya, Tess, and Pellaron.

“Lucius, honey?” Siabrey said quietly as the carriage rocked slowly, trundling down the streets, “I have to tell you.... this is a moment I’ve dreamed of.” She let her wings give a happy little flutter, and a thin cloud of electrum dust rose into the air around her. The image was nice enough that Lucius had a grin on his face that signified more than joy.

“All my life, I’ve been told I cannot show my wings in public... but now... because of you...” she started to finish, before looking at him, and seeing his grin had changed to a blinding smile. He put his arm around her and kissed her on the cheek lightly.

“Now, everyone can see you in your true, devastatingly beautiful form,” he flirted, and she blushed deeply.

The trip seemed, in her mind, to last far too short a time. While the carriage ride was private, romantic, and just heavenly to her, as much as she looked forward to the gala, she dreaded it, as her bodyguard instincts rose again. Lucius saw the look on her face as the carriage pulled up to the entrance to the Governor’s Palace.

“Hon,” he said quietly, “You don’t have to stand beside me the whole time. Run around. Enjoy yourself. Show off your wings!” he grinned. She smiled lightly.

“I’d feel more comfortable if I was next to you... at least to keep you safe.” Lucius nodded an ok, and clambered out of the carriage to deftly help her out of it.

As the party entered the Imperial Ballroom, all of them, even Lucius, had to gasp at its side and dimensions. The room was massive, nearly 400 feet long, 50 feet high to the tops of its rafters, with enormous chandeliers and paintings hanging from the ceilings and walls respectively. Towards the front of the already crowded room was a throne upon a raised dais. It was gilt, inlaid with precious stones, with two large dragonheads facing each other at its top. No one sat in it yet... the Princess had yet to arrive.

Lucius immediately hightailed towards a group of chatting noblemen, all puffing on pipes or sipping wine, and immediately he delved into a deep conversation with them. Pellaron did much the same, clanking over in his ceremonial paladin’s armor and crest to talk with other, more minor looking nobles.

I want to stay by you, don’t run so fast, went through Siabrey’s mind as she followed Lucius’s trail through the crowds as he approached and then entered conversation with the nobles in question. As she drew nigh, however, her plans were thwarted.

“Oh... my! Adelaine! Look at her dress! It is absolutely gorgeous!” a voice, annoying in accent and high pitched in nature, began. Siabrey turned to see an elderly looking lady, dressed in puffed up finery, with no less than eighteen peacock feathers coming from her hair. Siabrey recognized her as the Baroness of Tor, a noble Lucius had pointed out at the parade for particular disdain.

My God, woman, is it humanly possible to add a single feather to that array of puffery?

“Oh... and Marel! Her eyes... where did you find those eye colorings? I should dye my eyes red as well, to match the rubies in my chaffron!” another voice added, and soon more surrounded her, and Siabrey found herself unwillingly dragged away from Lucius by the fettering wives of the petchulent nobles he was talking to.

“My God! Arabel, I know this is not a costume ball, but by Pelor, her wing costume is absolutely darling. Madame, please inform me of your name, and your tailor!” the Baroness of Tor burbled with entirely too much glee.

“I am Siabrey,” she said quietly. “My tailor was... a man from the desert,” she said quietly. Oh god I want to punch these people! part of her mind screamed. She kept it well in check, knowing that decking one of these annoying creatures would undoubtedly hurt her love’s cause.

“Ah... oh! Well, young lady, if an elder shall impart to you any advice... take a look at that hunk of flesh right there, beside my husband,” the Baroness pointed with an over decorated finger. “He is absolutely luscious... I would marry him in a second if I could get away with it! Riches, lands, and single...”

Siabrey’s face fell as she realized the woman was pointed at Lucius, who was standing next to the apparent Baron of Tor. You fat bar wench, looking at Lucius that way... her mind snarled, yet somehow its fury did not enter her voice.

“Yes, I know him. Lord Lucius Caladron... I know him quite well.” No sense in embarrassing them by blurting out who I really am to him.

“Well then... if at all possible, could you steer him my way?” the Baroness asked, before laughing, “though don’t tell my husband. He’s in a foul mood about having to get another peacock farm. Our old one just doesn’t suit my needs... not enough peacocks!”

Oh God woman, Siabrey groaned. Now, I don’t know whether I like galas that much or not... too many annoying people!

Tess, meanwhile, began circulating through the party, attempting to find likely sources of information.... nobles paying too much attention at her chest and waist, and not at her face. Her search for likely prey was interrupted, however, as she literally ran into someone.

“Oh! Excuse me!” she apologized, and for a second her heart stopped.

”I’m terribly sorry,” the young man replied, “I should have watched where I was going.” His blue eyes danced with more than an apology, however, and his jet-black hair was cut at a rakish angle that complimented his dangerously perfect face. His voice was a sonorous tenor....

Probably centered on A flat Tess’ musical mind chimed in.

“Oh... my manners,” the young man said. “My name is Shivalas... and are you... Tessoren the Harper?!” His eyes grew wide, and Tess could not avoid a slight blush.

So people do remember me from my last time here four months ago... and people invited to an Imperial Gala no less!

“Um... yes. I am know as that,” she smiled shyly. The man gibbered for a second, before launching into a nervous spout of words.

“Well... um... you see, I’m a musician as well. An... an amateur to be sure, compared to your beautiful skill,” he added quickly. “I... I sing, however. I would consider it the deepest honor if you would allow me to sing as you play one of your songs.”

He wants me to play!? Here!? YES! Tess’ mind cheered, now only mostly for the chance to show off in front of an audience... the rest for a chance to show off in front of...

“By all means,” she said, managing to keep her voice somewhat level. Her grabbed her hand gently but firmly and led her towards the front, onto the dais, where he clapped his hands loudly. The crowds went silent, and he struck up, in perfect key, the first notes to Tess’ favorite song... The Harpist’s Dream. Tess grinned, and added her flowing music to his musical voice, and musical sounds worthy of the gods wafting through the room, prompting a standing ovation when they were finished.

He held PERFECT key... he either is no amateur, or he has more raw talent than I’ve ever seen before in my life... I need to find out more about this man... perhaps he could provide some information? Her mind didn’t admit it, but the possibility of something more also floated there as well.

“So, Shivalas, what do you do? What is your title?”

“Title? Ha!” he laughed. “My father is a relatively minor noble, north of Irulas. I am here on the Princess’ staff. Her original dwarven translator fell ill four days ago, and after some inquiries showed I knew dwarven, I was invited to join. So here I am.”

Good... I can get some information from him then... possibly... Tess tried to focus her mind. Her bodyguard instincts kept trying to tell her to watch him, but she just couldn’t... he was witty, he was handsome, he was nobility....

“Tess, to celebrate the wonderful music we made together, would you care for a drink? A bit of punch, or perhaps some of the wine?”

Tess... keep your eyes about. Just in case he tries something funny.

What would he try funny? People that are as gorgeous as him don’t need to try funny things to get l...
As the thought entered her head, she immediately blushed, and saw Shivalas give a broad smile.

“What, does the thought of drink embarrass you?” he asked gently.

“No! No... no no... drink doesn’t embarrass me at all. I would be delighted to share a glass of wine with you. Then we can talk some more... wine always helps with the talking.... yeah...”

Tess, you twit! her mind shouted at her, Was that cool? Was that debonair? Was that suave? No! It wasn’t! Her minds rant stopped when she saw him chuckle a little.

“Oh, so true. Iskeldrun Red, Irulas White, or Holstean Blue?” Tess stiffened slightly at the mentioning of Holstean, before remembering that the name was indeed a type of wine.

“Um... Irulas White, please,” she said as he poured a glass for her, and one for himself. Her eyes were far to busy staring into his to notice him tipping his signet ring over her cup, and the whitish yellow powder that fell into her glass and dissolved almost immediately.

Tess lifted her glass, and circled the wine under her nose like a pro, noting with some delight that he seemed a little impressed.

Good. More ways to get information... out of you.... yeah her distracted mind thought, as she sipped away with Shivalas by her side. They talked for a bit, and she found to her delight that he regarded many of the noble’s here as pompous fools... the same as she thought.

As their conversation continued, her world steadily began to grow more colorful, brighter, and more vivid. She began to concentrate on Shivalas, and him alone.

All the feathers... all the clothes... they look so pretty her mind, now in a muddled haze of drugs, managed to stumble out. And Shivalas is the prettiest... so pretty...

Shivalas gently guided the now clearly affected Tess over to a small table to the side of the room, and leaned over to her as her head lolled to one side.

“My dear Tesseron Keldare,” he smiled as he used her full name, “you will now explain to me the things I need to know. Your friends, where I can meet them, and the like...”

For the next hour, Tess talked, and talked a lot. After she had spilled as much information as her befuddled brain would allow, the man called Shivalas, with a flash of his dark hair and a wide grin, placed a rose in front of her, and gave her a kiss on the forehead. Then he rose, taking leave from her table, and the ball...

The electrum dust, when I thought of it, is merely a medieval, more expensive version of glitter basically. She could sprinkle it on her wings to make them flashy in the light, and people would assume she bought the wings somewhere fort he ball, rather than she was born with them... :)

At present, the cast of characters is the following:

Player Characters:

Siabrey - Age 25
Female Half-Siabrie Fighter 6/Bondsblade 4

Tess - Age 22
Female Human Bard 10

Shaun - Age 25?
Male Human Rogue 5/Bard 5

Former PCs (now NPCS)

Grumki - Age ?
Male Half Orc Cleric of Kord 9?

NPCs (that have appeared so far)

Lucius Caladron (Siabrey's love interest) - Age 16
Male Human Sorcerer 8/Fighter 2

Pellaron Bylthankis - Age 188
Male Elf Paladin 7/Cleric 3

Elenya Barachis (Shaun's love interest) - Age 19
Female Human Adept 3/Wizard 2

Xanadu - Age 712
-casts spells as 9th level wizard (he's a surprise :) )

Hidalas Marengo - Age 40
Male Human Cleric of Tarantor 8

Dingalas Soreham - Age 72
Male Human Cleric of Tarantor 5

Rogar Mithras - Age 42
- big baddie... keeping his levels a secret for now :)

Ilia Bandar - Age 38
- See Rogar :)

Last edited:

The next update to that adventure, entitled,

Thou Shalt Schmooze Thy Noble, Part Two

Shaun looked deeply into Elenya’s eyes, and had to wonder, what else is she capable of? For her part, Elenya stared deeply back into his eyes as the two continued to twirl around through the large dancing portion of the hall, to the newest dance from Iskeldrun itself; they called it a waltz.

“It looks so scandalous,” Elenya had commented when they had first wandered over after arriving at the party, “they don’t maintain space... they touch each others shoulders!” At was at that point that both her and Shaun decided for sure they were going to join the dance floor.

I’m glad I held her back for twenty minutes so we could watch and learn... its really paid off, he thought as he swung her through another graceful spin, his eyes breaking from hers momentarily to see a blur of admiring, and even envious faces all around.

That’s right... she likes me, not any of you, his heart thumped, and he let loose a laugh.

The long finally drew to an end, and Shaun, on a whim, gracefully dipped Elenya close to the floor at song’s end. She let out a muffled squeal, and gave him a slight punch when he brought her back up.

“What was that for?” she laughed.

“Just wanted to try it,” Shaun grinned, as numerous young nobles, especially males, began pressing close, a few mimicking his previous steps, and a couple openly asking him questions about his moves, and most especially, about the unorthodox dip at the end. Many of the women in the growing audience to his dancing ask who he is, and of course, he eagerly replies he is, “Shaun Dice, servant of our Lord Lucius Caladron!”

“Hon,” Elenya said as she held him close after another dance, “I think we’ve found your perfect line of profession.... you cold come to Kulloden as a dance teacher!”

Ha! A mere dance teacher... but that is right... Elenya doesn’t know my full abilities yet... Shaun’s mind smacked its lips at the chance to show off in front of his girl, and so as the next dance ended, Shaun walked into the crowd of people now dancing like them, and struck up a conversation with a puffy old man that had a brilliant gold brooch around his wrist. When Shaun left the conversation... it was no longer there, and no one in the crowd, too busy nodding their heads like mindless geese, was any the wiser...

When the next dance had them distracted, Shaun tapped Elenya’s shoulder.

“You remember that gentlemen with the gold brooch you thought was exquisite?” he purred softly into her ear. She nodded her head slowly, not evidently not sure of what to expect next.

This will be absolutely great! Your lover, honey, is not just a consummate dancer, consummate lover, consummate debonair, consummate prankster, and consummate... fighter... yes, fighter! Your lover is also the best and brightest thief in this region!

He cupped his hands and flashed them towards Elenya in a motion only she could see... and he saw her face explode into widely varying emotions as she saw what was inside.

Jackpot, he thought quietly, extending his hand a little further. Quite quickly, hers flew over the top of his, and she delivered a quick, little too passionate for the situation kiss on his lips.

What was that about? he thought momentarily till she pulled back quickly, looking out of the corner of her eye at someone he didn’t see.

“Shauny, that was the greatest thing ever,” she whispered, a hint of one of his favorite smiles playing on her lips, which then suddenly faded. “...but don’t ever do that again in the middle of a ball? Please?”

OH... I see what the kiss was... sleight of hand to keep prying eyes from seeing what I.... crap... I almost blew things myself. He looked at Elenya in wonderment. First she was an excellent cook, excellent lover, she was rapidly becoming a good spell caster and an excellent fast talker... and now she basically saved his behind with her quick mind and talent for distraction.

Is there ANYTHING this woman can’t do? he thought with an enormous grin, giving her a genuine hug of thanks as the brooch in question slid into his pocket.

“You are so toned and in shape! Who is your masseuse, Lady Siabrey, and how much more do I have to pay him to pry him from your service?” A prissy young woman, whom Siabrey only knew too well, pressed. The fighter sighed in annoyance, and caught a glimpse of Tess with a dark haired man far on the other side of the room. Siabrey wished she could be there.

One flutter of my wings and I bet they’ll scatter to the far winds, she thought for a second in a tired voice. Maybe I should just blurt out that my masseuse is Lucius... that would throw them for a loop.

“I... practice with sword and steel often, m’Lady Marel. Where I come from, everyone must be prepared,” she said slowly, stringing together her half-truths and half lies carefully. There was a collective gasp from the group of woman, none of whom had likely been outside the boudoirs longer than necessary to attend a party.

“You practice with sword? What is your routine? Three sets of five swings? Do you have a trainer? Is your trainer cute, like my husband’s trainer?” An incessant whirl of questions flew towards Siabrey, and she instantly regretted making the comment.

Thankfully for our hero, just as her head was about to explode, the music from the orchestra rather suddenly changed. Trumpets blared, and a processional march began... Siabrey didn’t have to know the music playing was the personal anthem of the royal family to realize that Her Majesty, Princess Zoe Paleologus, Arbiter of the Northern Borders, Protector of the Sword of Tarantor, etc. etc. etc. had arrived.... fashionably late.

Crap, Siabrey’s mind thought, as she realized she was almost immediately beside the velvet and sink red carpet that led from the entryway, where now the Princess in all her imperial splendor stood, and the Imperial throne on the other side of the room.

I’ll have to look at her up close AGAIN! Siabrey complained in her mind, as she sank to one knee like everyone else in the room. Slowly, gracefully, in time with the too elegant music and with too perfect movements, the Princess slid up the floor of the hall, the Governor on one side, and an elderly man, dressed in fine regal robes, on the other.

She’s getting closer, Siabrey thought as the Princess drew nigh, and the fighter couldn’t help but look up into the Princess’ face as she drew close.

The Princess’ eye caught Siabrey’s face for a moment, and for a distinct short period, her face changed to an awful sneer that mixed rage, disgust and horror. The split second snarl suddenly changed as the Princess moved her head slightly so she looked only directly at the throne.

Ah... so she doesn’t think I’m important enough to even look at! Good! Don’t look at Lucius either, wench! Siabrey’s mind taunted as the royal person went by on its inevitable march to the throne. The Princess then sat down to a musical crescendo, and almost immediately nobles in the room were crowding about the throne, with petitions or favors to request from the royal person.

Slovenly pack of hoodlums, Siabrey thought.

“Marel, did you see Her Majesty’s dress? I would utterly die to be able to afford that kind of tailor!” the Baroness of Tor spoke again... and Siabrey took this as her cue to slip away from the mindless pack of fools and head towards where Lucius was. She managed to scuttle alongside Lucius a few minutes later, just as Lucius and a man she now knew was the Baron of Tor (from his idiotic wife’s comments) finished a heated sentence of discussion.

“Oh... hi Siabrey!” Lucius said with a genuine grin. A few chuckles went around the group of men in fancy and overwrought robes, as the Baron, whose coiffed hair and lacey suit already annoyed Siabrey, leaned over to the noble next to him, and whispered something.

“Lord Lucius sure can pick his maids well for a boy so young. I wonder if she broke him in... or if it was some dog from a roadside brothel?” The two engaged in a loud guffaw, as Siabrey’s eyes narrowed. She’d heard every word.

You miserable little toad! her mind snarled. Had she not been in the middle of an Imperial gala, instead in the woods, she likely would have taken up fisticuffs with the man.

“My Lord Baron,” she said, her voice even, but only barely. It also thundered with a hint of command. “I am not, as you assume, a mere ‘maid’ of Lord Lucius. I am his bodyguard, advisor, and most importantly,” she leaned closer to the Baron to deliver the final line, “his consort!”

The other nobles in the circle looked towards the Baron, with a few smirks of mockery now aimed in his direction. His face went red, and he managed to spit out in his embarrassment, “I was merely commenting how m’lady looks like a maid in a meadow,” he lied, then cleared his throat, “I apologize for the confusion, m’lady. No harm or insult was intended.”

“None is taken, m’lord,” Siabrey lied back to his face. “M’lord Lucius?” she turned to Lucius’ openly admiring face, “can you please tell me which of these fine gentlemen have chosen to assist you in your efforts to safeguard this Valley from incursion, and which are too preoccupied?” Another flitting glance at the Baron.

You’ve rolled that Baron back onto his heels Siabrey... lets see if you can’t help Lucius by pushing a few more?

“Well,” Lucius, catching on immediately, began, “M’Lord Tuscans,” he gestured to the right, “has promised us 500 horse in a fortnight. Lord Sanjay has promised us the same. Lord Everston has committed himself to 3,000 foot and 100 horse, Lord Gastenax the same, and Baron Visby has promised a welcome surprise of 5,000 foot.”

“And Lords Umberti and Tor?” she asked, looking at the two nobles who had previously been making wisecracks at her expense. She narrowed her eyes into slits, and she saw the one named Umberti shrivel slightly under her wilting gaze.

“I can make arrangements,” the one named Umberti said weakly, “to provide Your Lordship with some 1,000 archers to assist your noble cause.” He bowed rather stiffly.

“And m’lord Tor?” Siabrey’s tidal wave of terrible gazes now thundered in on the last uncommitted one in the circle, and Tor’s eyes surprisingly met hers.

“I am afraid, m’lady, that I have other pressing needs that must be attended to first, before I can send forces to assist My Lord Lucius,” he said with his own bow, his voice dripping with lies.

“Ah, I see Baron... not enough peacocks?” Siabrey asked innocently, and a few snickers went around among the other Barons. Even Lucius could not control his face enough to not grin at her quip. The Baron’s face, however, went a deep crimson, and once again, his head hung low.

He’s broken, Siabrey thought. Who said being diplomatic is a requirement all the time?

“I... can rearrange some priorities, and see that M’lord is supplied with 500 archers and equipment, to be assembled here in a fortnight,” the Baron surrendered, and Siabrey gave an enormous grin at her success.

As the informal Baron’s Council split apart, Siabrey sidled up to Lucius, giving him a hug.

“Hon... remind me to introduce you to more nobles,” he kissed her in thanks, “you got more done with those two in five minutes than I was able to with a half hour of arguing.”

”Well, every man has a weakness,” she grinned rather seductively, “you just have to exploit it.” Her grin then went into a full smile, “And Lord Tor’s weakness, was his peacocks!” They shared a laugh, and then decided as it was drawing late, it would be best to begin rounding up other members of the party.

As they drew to the middle of the room, another messenger, clad once again in Imperial colors, walked into their path and stopped them.

“Lord Lucius, Her Imperial Majesty begs me to deliver this message,” the page said in a stately voice, handing Lucius another scroll. He then bowed, and walked away from the two.

Oh boy... this can’t be good, Siabrey thought. “What does it say?” she asked as Lucius tore off the seal and began reading. He gave a huff, and handed it to her.

M’lord Lucius,

I wish to meet with you in private, away from prying ears or formal pomp and circumstance. As you may know, I signed off on your betrothal technically after your mother was in revolt. As such, the betrothal is void... however I still believe it to be in your interests, as well as the interests of the Valley, for us to still be wed.

Meet me at the Hangjou Garden, five blocks from this place. You may bring the harlot with you should you wish... I shall bring my Master Chamberlain. Imperial Guard will be watching to ensure our safety, while we discuss this business as reasonable adults, and reasonable nobles.

Regards
Zoe Paleologus, Arbiter of the Northern Frontier, Defender of the Sword of Tarantor, Watcher of the Eastern Lakes, Defender of the City of Iskeldrun... etc. etc. etc.

“So... this is a command from her, I’m guessing,” Siabrey said with a sad grunt. I don’t want you to go... I don’t trust her! She could hurt you because she hates me!

Lucius nodded. “I shall go... she isn’t foolish enough to have a noble murdered at a one on one meeting with her. None of the others would trust her ever again. I would, though,” he gave Siabrey a hug, “be appreciative if you would come with. Your mind is sharp, and it can help me should mine grow weak.”

She gave him a kiss, “I am your bodyguard, as well as your lover,” Siabrey said, looking into his eyes. “I shall follow you to the ends of this life, if need be.” He smiled back at her, and hugged her tight in thanks.

As party members were tracked down, Lucius told them of the letter. Elenya, Shaun, and Pellaron were easy to find, however, the party had to search for a bit before they saw Tess sitting alone at a table... with her head lolling to one side.

Oh no... she got drunk! was Siabrey’s first thought. That however was completely outside of Tess’ normal range of behavior... and Siabrey started to worry as they drew close to the wobbly young woman.

“Tess?” Siabrey asked as she drew up alongside her. The fair-haired Tess lolled her head to one side so she could see Siabrey, and said rather lazily, “Pretty.”

“What?” Shaun asked as he came up. “Siabrey’s not pretty, what are you talking about?”

Siabrey was too worried now to hear or notice Shaun’s quip. She waved her hands in front of Tess’ face, and received no reaction save the same wan smile, and lolling head.

“Pretty, pretty, pretty,” was what Tess muttered as Lucius reached over for her goblet, and looked inside it.

“Poison!” he cried softly a minute later. “Look... there’s a little bit of yellow powder on the bottom! Don’t touch it! I bet its Modrayn!”

“What? Oh Tess!” Siabrey began prying open Tess’ eyes. Tess for her part thought it was fun, and began saying “pretty” faster.

“Tess,” Siabrey hunched over in front of the poisoned woman, “Who did this to you?”

“So pretty... your hair! It looks like sun!”

“Tess.... who did this?”

“Black haired man... so pretty! He and I talked long time... he was so pretty. His voice was pretty... he was all pretty!”

Dammit Siabrey’s mind shouted. She’d seen Tess with a black haired man earlier, and put her evidence together. She looked around the party desperately, and saw him nowhere.

“Shouldn’t we get her out of here?” Shaun asked, and Elenya piped up that she agreed.

“We’re going? Where are we going?” Tess tried to stand up, and somehow managed, though she immediately began to stumble towards the throne, saying “pretty!”

“No! No no no Tess,” Siabrey caught her and turned her around, “See my wings? They’re pretty right? Follow the pretty! Follow them!”

IN this manner the party slowly and carefully made its way out of the chambers as the gala continued in full swing... Siabrey to the front, with Tess behind her and Pellaron at the poisoned woman’s side. The other three formed a gaggle at the rear.

“Hey, Lucius,” Shaun said, hoping to lighten up the mood, “take a look at what I pilfered off of...”

Siabrey spun around, though fortunately Pellaron did not, nor did anyone outside the party.

“What?!” she snarled back at him, though Shaun’s eyes were more focused on Lucius, whose look was absolutely terrifying.

“Remember, dear Shaun, how I threatened to string you up if you told Siabrey about the book in Kulloden?” Shaun gulped and nodded. “If you ever mention what you were about to out loud again, or ever do something of the sort again, I will string you up! And it will not be by your neck, it will be by parts of you that will be even more painful more torturous...”

Shaun gulped and nodded, as the party helped push Tess into Lucius’ carriage to head back to the Temple of Pelor for some major healing... while Siabrey’s mind was now in full defensive mode.

Someone poisoned Tess, then ‘talked to her a lot.’ They pumped her for information... on what though? What if it was on us? Dammit!

Her grip on her “dress” long sword tightened noticeably as the carriage careened through the city streets...

Lela

First Post
Politics abound and plots thicken.

Speaking of which, what do you call a thickened plot? It sounds like there should be a word for it. After all, it happens all the time. Though not always as gracefully as this one. Which is beside the point of course.

Oh... the plot gets better... even thicker... hehe

And on that note... I'd probably just call it a thicker plot? I'm not an English major, so I don't know the proper term...

Part 8 of the adventure of 1-30-04

Of Two Plots, of Two Fronts, of Two Enemies

When the party burst into the Temple of Pelor, several acolytes were already waiting... Lucius had taken the prerogative of sending riders ahead. One of them took Tess in his arms and laid her gently on the Temple floor, as another pried open her eyes, seeing they were now staring off into the distance, as the words, “pretty” continued to come faintly from her lips.

Tess! You were supposed to be the smart one of us! How did you let this happen? Shaun’s mind asked. He too, was worried as a higher ranking priest in the Church arrived, and began making arcane passes over Tess’ lolling head, calling forth in a language that neither Shaun nor Siabrey understood. Some five minutes into the impromptu ceremony, Tess herself seemed to glow briefly, and she sputtered.

“What? Huh? Wha... where’s the gala? What happened?” she was gasping, desperately trying to fill her lungs with air.

“Its ok, its ok,” Pellaron said, supporting Tess as she began to recognize her surroundings.

“Why are we back at the temple?” Tess’ mind, confused and slightly scared asked. “What happened to Shivalas?”

”Tess!” Siabrey was immediately delivering a bear hug onto Tess’ tired frame, and the younger woman had to gasp for a split second for air. “I was so worried!”

“What do you remember, Tess?” Shaun asked. We need to get to the bottom of what happened here...

As soon as Siabrey had released her death-hug, Tess managed to spurt out that she had met a man named Shivalas, who said he worked on the Princess’ staff as a dwarven translator. He’d had a wonderful singing voice... and the last thing she could remember was sipping wine with...

Tess let loose on a tirade of profanity that even impressed the likes of Siabrey. After her long, full rant about his ancestry, his physical size, his mental capacities, and anything else her fury could imagine, she looked up at the priests. The acolytes had rather shocked looks on their faces, but the elder priest merely smiled, and gave her a reassuring pat on the head.

”I understand my child... you needed to vent your anger at what this man did. There is no harm in that.”

Tess nodded, grateful that Pelor’s fury wouldn’t strike her overnight now as well. Heaven knows enough had already happened. Siabrey gave her another hug, and Tess found several tears welling into her face.

How could I have been so stupid!? I am from a family of bodyguards.... how could I have been so stupid as to betray to someone all of my friends? Fresh, wet tears began to trail down her face, and it was Siabrey who first felt them.

“Tess,” she said, pulling back, “don’t worry about it. You did not give away the information willingly... it could have happened to any of us.” She then hugged her again, “The important thing is that you are alright.” Tess nodded, but still the tears flowed as Siabrey tightened her hug and Pellaron gently rocked her, trying to calm her emotions.

In the meantime, it was Shaun and Lucius that began to grapple with the full implications of what had happened.

”Luke, we should send out some people to gather information on this Shivalas character,” Shaun said thoughtfully. He never realized the irony that he was being responsible. “And maybe some more to find information about this governor.... I have a distinct feeling he had something to do with all of this.” Lucius nodded in agreement, a softly growl at his lips.

”I’ll get on it, Shaun. You make sure that those two,” pointing at Siabrey and Tess, “are alright.”

It was early the next morning when an incessant knock woke up a tired and still rather embarrassed Tess.

Who is it? If its black haired boy, I swear...

She undid her bolt locks, and as the door swung open, Lucius’ head pushed its way through the crack.

“Tess! Good, you’re awake! The clerics I asked to go out and gather some information have come back... you’ll be interested to know that they talked to some of the laundry women that works in the Governor’s Palace...”

“What’d they say?” Tess pulled Lucius into the room, and hurriedly shut the door. Mustn’t have anyone hear!

“Well... one of them said that on a weekly basis, the governor meets with a strange looking man in his private garden. She said he’s got a tiger-like face.” Lucius shrugged at Tess’ unasked question.

What in blazes has a tiger-like head and a human body... Her mind rankled through the various myths and legends she’d heard sung over the years, as Lucius continued.

“Well, either way, the next meeting is in two days... ironically it will be the same night where I am supposed to meet the princess.” Tess looked up immediately, worry on her face.

“I wouldn’t go, Lucius... it seems too nicely arranged, for my instincts.” Then again, since last night, I’ve been seeing plots around every corner...

What has a tiger head on a human body?
her mind continued its mental hunt.

“I know,” he started pacing, “but it was an Imperial command... and if I want to get the Imperial Guard mobilized to help in the fight... I have to go...” Tess nodded, and lowered her head.

“You need to go investigate this governor’s mess, Tess,” Lucius said. “I’ll be busy, but if there’s an opportunity to unmask him, this would be it. As far as I know, the Governor has never before been regularly meeting with tiger headed men, so if you can catch them, it could solve that front...”

Not to mention possibly put the Princess on our good side? Tess’ mind volunteered... and then she realized what creature likely had such tiger features...

“Did the maid say its hands were jointed wrong?” Tess asked hurriedly. If this is what I think it is... we may not have the firepower to handle it even if you DO come with, Lucius... “Like they were jointed backwards?”

“Yes...” Lucius said after a second, “Yes, she did say that. It confused the priests... they said no creature like that has existed for over a half a millennia. They last ones were killed in the great Hextor uprising some 500 years ago...”

Hextor? Now he’s brought into the equation? Tess’ now worried mind began to add up the odds... and they weren’t good.

“The creature was a Rakhasa... a shape shifter that in natural form looks like a human with a tiger’s head and backward jointed hands. They are very powerful spell casters. Did your washerwoman remember what clothes he wore?”

“Umm...” Lucius lowered his head, wracking his memory for a second, “they say she said he wore a dark, long hooded cloak, with a red fist of some kind barely on the inside on one of the...”

“Was the fist holding a bracket of arrows?” Tess pressed, now clearly alarmed. Pelor help us if...

“Yeah, it did... why?”

“Lucius... we are dealing with a Rakhasa affiliated with the Church of Hextor... the doppelganger is likely meeting him to receive orders! That explains the Governor’s almost exclusive harassment of the Church of Hieroneous!”

Lucius blinked, confused. “Church of Hextor? Rakhasas? Tess, I fear you are speaking with words I don’t understand...” Tess gave an exasperated sigh.

“Ok... Lucius... the opposite Temple of the Church of Hieroneous in the old days was the Church of Hextor... the God of Tyranny. His worship was banned in the Empire after the Hextor Rebellions some 500 years ago... two hundred years before Ananias came along. I know this because some of the oldest songs in my repertoire are written about deeds of valor done in those days.” Lucius nodded, slowly catching up.

“Hextor was the twin of Hieroneous, and as the two gods hate each other, so do their followers hate each other. If we are dealing with a Rakhasa, an ancient beast that somehow survived the Hextor Rebellion when all of his mates were killed, he is likely a follower of Hextor... especially considering a red hand with a clutch of arrows is Hextor’s symbol. And if he’s meeting with the doppelganger regularly, and the doppelganger is persecuting the Church of Hieroneous...”

“Ah,” Lucius put things together, “so the Rakhasa is telling his follower, the doppelganger, how to persecute Hieroneous on behalf of the Hextor followers of the Rakhasa?”

“Maybe... at least that’s what I’ve put together,” Tess said, looking off into space. Maybe the Rakhasa in his age has lost much of his power... maybe that’s why he has a doppelganger masquerading as governor instead of himself. But this means the Church of Hextor is rising again... is it related to the Countess?

No... it can’t be. The Governor changed six months ago... long before the Countess knew of the staff...

So, we are facing two potential fronts now... the Countess from the south, and the Church of Hextor from within...

Thankfully so far they haven’t cooperated...

“Did your ‘spies’ (Tess used the word in jest) find anything else out?”

“Well, they found out one thing you might be interested in,” Lucius sighed. “Your friend, that claimed he worked for the Princess? There’s no one of that name on her staff. They did pick up a dwarven translator only a few days ago, but he’s a young kid... blonde, very handsome... sings well.

His first name sounds like Shivalas... I couldn’t tell over her accent.”

“What was his last name,” Tess pined, craning forward for the critical piece of information. Lucius sighed again.

“Mithras.”

Rogar’s last name! Tess’ mind screamed. Could this be the blond that helped Ilia attack Hidalas? Does Rogar have... a son?

The party spent the next two days loosely gathering information, while remaining very cautious. Tess’ lone sojourns into the city ended, but she and Shaun jointly found a route into the private gardens of the Governor using a servant’s entrance to the palace. Tess’ armor could be glammered into a servant girl’s outfit, a few rags were procured for Elenya (who once again, insisted on going since Shaun was going), and even the noble Pellaron acquiesced and put ragged women’s clothes over his paladin’s armor. (Thankfully Pellaron was normally clean-shaven, as a beard might have posed a problem). Xanadu could shape shift himself, while Shaun for the first time utilized a hat he had been keeping in reserve for a while, which with some properly applied makeup and feather stuffing, made him look into a convincing, if ugly, woman. Of course, Elenya had much fun poking fun at “Shaunathia” as she set about calling him.

Finally, the appointed night arrived, and the party split... Lucius and Siabrey to meet the Princess, Elenya, Shaun, Pellaron, Xanadu, and Tess to find the Rakhasa and the doppelganger, and bring an end to their reign of treachery. As the moon peeked out from behind the clouds, both groups set off to their respective destinies...

Siabrey’s face was as stone as she clanked alongside Lucius in the darkened streets. It was three hours after dusk, and they were drawing near to the Hangjou Gardens... where Siabrey knew destiny awaited her love...

What if Zoe convinces him, Siabrey? part of her mind questioned, What then? What will you be left with? You can’t resist someone of her power...

Lucius would never pick her
, her loving mind countered, Never... under any circumstances! He loves me.... and I him. That is greater than any imperial decree...

Her face evidently reflected her internal confusion, as Lucius wrapped a protective arm around her.

“Don’t worry, my love... there is nothing she can say that will make me forget my commitment to you.” He delivered a smile that looked blinding in the moonlight, but Siabrey could see something in it that was... different. It did not bely any confidence, nor did it indicate combativeness... it was more a smile that he gave when he was covering up worry.

“What if she demands your hand in return for military support?” Siabrey asked quietly, and she saw the smile on Lucius’ face collapse. “You’d be a fool to refuse that, my love. She has nearly 80,000 troops you could have to put down the rebellion... it would be folly to put...”

He put his hand on her lips, with a quiet ssh. “I...”

What my love? Say what it is? her heart jumped, hoping for one answer but dreading another.

“...I’ll get to that bridge when we arrive at that river,” he said quietly.

“Lucius... you know she hates me... and she’ll likely do anything to try and break us apart! I have no doubt that she’ll use a threat like that!” Siabrey said, cutting in front of him to stop him. She looked deep into his eyes, trying to divine an answer through them. Instead, where she normally could see deep into his soul, she saw a haze of confusion and doubt. She felt her eyes start to water up, but pushed back the tears that would have flowed, instead grabbing him into a close hug.

“Regardless of what happens, Lucius,” she said, her voice muffled by his bosom, “I will still love you.”

Will you love me though, love? Even if she whisks you away? Or will you forget the small warrior with wings and red eyes in favor of a princess with kingdoms and riches? Siabrey felt the tension in Lucius’ body relax noticeably.

“That relieves me greatly, Siabrey,” he said as he leaned over and kissed her gently on the forehead. “I... the lines between me and my rank are weakening... and while I want to pick you...”

“...you don’t know if you can do the right thing that way,” she said quietly, a silent tear breaking through her defenses and falling.

“I will put you first,” he said quietly, wiping away her tear, his own eyes having that funny look one gets before tears begin to well. She shook her head no.

“Put your people first. I will understand. Lucius... please... put yourself above me in this. Yourself and your people.”

I can’t believe I just told him that! part of Siabrey’s mind shouted at her. You stupid fool! Now the riches and armies she can offer will drag him away for sure!

Siabrey... this goes much beyond you and him... it goes to his realm, his people, and defending them from demons... that is surely much greater than yourself! You vowed to protect him and love him... protecting him might mean letting him go!

Never!

Tess and Elenya were the first to arrive at the servants entrance to the Governor’s palace, and gingerly stepped inside, bundles of blankets thrown over their arms in an effort to make it seem they were busy. Within the bundles were potions, while both had their daggers stored carefully.

Tess looked about, and seeing no one paying particular attention, she opened the door and hissed, “Its ok! Come in!”

The first through the door was an old crone, bent over in years, her skin’s wrinkles deeper than the mountains were high. The only thing that betrayed it was Xanadu was how her eyes, every now and then when he didn’t focus, would turn brassy in color.

Next came a mop headed, flat chested elven woman. She carried a bag full of washing detergent and other cleaning items that slung over her left waist... covering a glandil blade. Tess had to admit, that while he looked ridiculous at first, Pellaron did look like a semi-attractive woman.

If we survive this, I’m going to have to rib him on that, she thought.

Finally, there came a rather buxom looking young girl, with short dark hair and a mottled looking hat thrown over her head. Tess had to suppress a giggle once again as she saw Shaun’s outfit... it was entirely too perfect... perfect enough that Elenya, only an hour before when he was donning it, she commented that she was getting ideas.

“Ok,” Tess said quietly as the group went forward, “follow my lead, and stay quiet. Above everything, don’t draw attention... ok?” Nods went around, and the group pressed onward.

It wasn’t ten minutes later when they’re first test arrived. A man, dressed as a Captain of the Guard, saw the five ladies shuffling through the corridor, and shouted a command at them.

“Halt! Wait!”

Siabrey felt distinctively cold, despite the warm outside temperature and the warmth her armor and the jerkins underneath normally provided. Lucius stood next to her, and she slid a little closer to him, to steal some of his body heat.

My love, please don’t leave me, her worried mind kept repeating. Despite Lucius’ continued promises to stay with her, she kept reminding him, and herself, that he was a Count... and his responsibilities hung far higher than their relationship.

“Don’t worry, Siabrey,” Lucius said quietly as he encircled her with his arms protectively, “she won’t hurt you, and she won’t pull me from you.” Siabrey nodded hopefully, but then stopped suddenly.

“Lucius! Whats that!?” she pointed towards a building top where a fleeting shape stood in the distance. Lucius squinted, and then smiled.

“Ah... its one of the Casalad Rangers... the Imperial Guard. They are likely the bodyguards that the Princess talked about. I wouldn’t worry about them, hon,” he tried to reassure her. “The Princess won’t do anything untoward towards a high ranking noble... or his consort.” He grinned and nuzzled the side of her face, and by instinct, she smiled warmly back.

Savor these, Siabrey... they may be the last intimate moments with him, the gloom and doom side of her brain argued, only to be shouted down by the rest that said it wasn’t so.

As they cuddled, Siabrey then spotted, coming up the garden path ahead of them, two figures, both clad in drab, brown cloaks.

Here she comes, Siabrey... be prepared.

Don’t say anything untoward.

Keep your mouth shut unless Lucius needs or asks for help... you want to help your love, not hinder him...
The two figures drew near, and took off their hoods.

One was the old man she remembered walking beside the Princess at the gala several days before. The other, indeed, was the Princess herself, her dark skin melding in with her brown cloak, and her large, deep eyes regarding first Lucius, then Siabrey, delivering a small sneer upon the latter.

“So, my lord,” her voice, a twistedly pleasant soprano, began, “I see you brought the tramp that stole your heart with you.”

You! You... stupid wench! Siabrey’s mind fumed, and she immediately broke her mental promise to stay quiet. “I come here, Your Majesty,” the way she said the title cutting through the air as a knife, “not as his ‘tramp,’ but as his consort!”

“Your Majesty would do well not to insult those that I choose as my confidants,” Lucius added, his voice low and also full of fury.

“Confidant or Consort, to my royal eyes she is still nothing more than a tramp, a harlot, far below your station!” The princess then stepped forward, leaning towards Siabrey. “And now, common whore, if you would excuse the adults present, as they must discuss business of state. Take your sashaying tricks elsewhere.”

Siabrey’s copper skin went white with fury, and she trembled.

If only I could reach for my sword, her mind shouted. She completely forgot about the needs of state she spoke of before, of putting others above herself.. her only thought was how to foil the wench of a princess that now stood before her. She managed to keep her hands from even approaching the blade, but nonetheless, the Princess smiled at seeing her fury. Siabrey noticed Lucius’ face starting to twist with anger at her remarks as well.

“And now, Lord Lucius, you know the purposes of this meeting... giving you access to Imperial troops, and restarting negotiations for the betrothal,” she smiled again at the livid Siabrey. “As for the former, despite my distaste for the bedmates you might have chosen,” she once again nodded to Siabrey’s form, “I shall give you access and command to the Imperial troops in the district. I am not foolish enough to put my pride above what will soon by my Empire. Keep in mind, my lord, that one day I will be Empress... and that I have a long memory for insults, such as being spurned for a cupcake such as...”

“You would do well, Your Majesty,” Lucius’ own voice, rising with anger interrupted, “to cease insulting my closest advisor, my bodyguard, and my lover! She is far more of a woman that you can ever imagine!” Siabrey thought she saw Lucius’ hand draw dangerously close to his own sword, before they flitted away, covering the move as a change of gesture.
Lucius.. don’t get yourself shot.. part of Siabrey’s mind called.

Thank you, my love! all of her mind called, Thank you... he really loves me! He’s defending me despite her attempts to discredit, to promise, to threaten!

The Princess, instead of backing off, sneered.

“Are you fully aware of this tramp’s ancestry, Lord Lucius,” she said, her face surprisingly changing into a smile. Lucius’ fury melted into a look of sheer confusion, as did Siabrey’s. Hers was the first to change, and it was back to anger.

“There is nothing indecent about my ancestry! I was born to a woman of noble blood, raised in a noble household! There is no shame in such!” she snarled.

Don’t bring my family into this, your utter and complete...

“Who was your father?” the Princess gave an unnerving grin. Siabrey clamped her mouth shut. “You see, young lady of the night,” the princess began viciously, “I have numerous ways of gaining information... asking around, finding answers to my questions. After I found out about your dalliances with Lord Lucius, I wanted to know who you were, my dear. I know who your father is!”

Siabrey turned white again, though this time from something far different than anger.

My father? How? My mother refused to tell anyone who my father was? How could she know? How...

“Lord Lucius,” Zoe said quickly, turning back to her quarry, “are you aware of the monster called the siabrie?” Lucius shook his head no, but his face still glowered darkly at the Princess.

“They are demons of the deep desert, my lord. They wantonly attack caravans, slaughtering the merchants and scattering the gold across the sands! They attack and random, destroying towns and villages!” the princess cried. “Look at her wings, My Lord! Look at her skin color... her eyes. Her father was one of these demons of the desert!” Siabrey grew dizzy as the Princess continued, “Her father was named Kelir, and he bedded a noblewoman named Stodiana Sipner, and your tramp was the result of the unholy union!”

“My father was...” Siabrey began rather weakly, only to have the Princess’ furious voice cut her off. Lucius’ look of shock was starting to turn into sorrow, as he seemed to stare off into space.

“You never knew your father! Yet his demonic blood is still in your veins, harlot of the sands! Lord Lucius!” she snapped her attention back to him, “your mother has already consorted with demons, leading to this revolt! Would you, too, consort with demons! Would you join your mother’s side by joining in bed with this... half breed! This mongrel!”

Siabrey’s tears began to flow again, but t his time, there was no circling arm from Lucius. His eyes, heavy with tears being held back, stared off into space... trying to find the truth to the new, dangerous question posed to him.

“Would you rather debase your family, your people, your nation, by staying with a demon, putting all of your people, and all you know and love in danger!? Or would you marry within your station, to nothing less than imperial blood, and rule by my side in the coming days as Emperor of the Holy Santoric Empire!?” She began circling him, as a wolf circles cornered prey, “Choosing the former will make me, the future Empress your mortal enemy, and once world of her ancestry leaks out, you and your line will be finished! Choosing the latter is the best choice, boy! You lose all with the second choice, you win all with the first!” Her circle ended with her frame, several inches taller than Siabrey’s directly in front of him, only inches away. Her fury spent, the Princess deftly stepped backwards.

“You must choose now, young lord. Choose wisely.”

This next part, part 9 of the adventure on 1-30-04 (almost near the end! :) )is called

Battles, Fights, and General Meanness

Tess, Shaun, and others immediately freeze as the officer’s voice echoes up the hall. The man, large and burly with a mean look on his face, lumbers up the hall towards them.

“My quarters were supposed to be cleaned almost five hours ago, and still no one has touched them! I want you to march over to my quarters by the garden, and clean them this instant!” he snarls as he approaches, until he sees Tess and Elenya turn around. He stopped dead in his tracks, and a lascivious grin spread over his face.

“Well, well, well... I never knew they hired such fine ladies as washerwomen here. You two can stay in my quarters for a little bit after cleaning them up,” he grinned.

This man reeks of sliminess, Tess tried hard not to wrinkle her nose in disgust, and with some very serious misgivings, gave him a wink. Elenya beside her just trembled.

I can’t believe I just sank that low, Tess’ mind thought, I feel so dirty after that. Unfortunately, the guardsman wasn’t leaving yet, and instead tried to start flirting.

God! Someone make him go away! Tess wanted to scream.

As if answering her prayers, Shaun pushed his way to the front of the group, and promptly grabbed his mock chest while giving the man a suggestive grin. While Elenya thought he was cute in his disguise, it was obvious the guardsman didn’t, and he bid a quick, if ungentlemanly adieu with a slap to Elenya’s rear, and walked down the hall.

“Shaun,” Tess said a few minutes later when she was sure the man was gone, “as much as I find you obnoxious... I owe you... big time.”

Shaun gave a rather girly giggle, replying, “Its no problem... I was going to be hog-tied before I let him do more to Elenya than what he managed to do...” Elenya’s face blushed a tad, and the group pressed forward, slowly coming within sight of the garden.

Is it true? Siabrey’s frightened mind tumbled. Is it true? I am the child of a demon? I’ve been exposing and hurting my Lucius all this time?

No, it can’t be! I have no horns, and my mother surely would have told me! No child of a demon would be allowed in the Temple of Hieroneous! They would surely see such residual evil and strike it down!

My mother said my father was a noble man, not one that would recklessly attack people for no reason!? How did mum get so close to him then? She LOVED him! She wouldn’t have loved a thief and murderer!

As parts of her brain wrestled with the Princess’ allegations, the rest of her mind concentrated on what she saw from Lucius... and more tears formed as she didn’t feel him encircle her, protect her, but instead stare off into space, his hand flexing and releasing.

He won’t love a demon child! part of her mind said sadly, He’ll spurn you as he would spurn a rabid dog!

But... I am more than that, if that’s my ancestry!

He is a NOBLE, Siabrey! They care little beyond ancestry!

As she cried, she saw him blink.. once... twice... three times. His eyes, which had been blank with confusion, now had their old hardness back. He had made some decision.

“Your Majesty,” his voice began, distant and slow, “I have made my choice.” The Princess crossed her arms in triumph, a smile playing on her lips.

“After the rebellion is crushed, after I am restored to my throne, I shall have a Countess..“
his voice grew stronger, and his eyes looked directly at the Princess, his face like stone.

“...and she will not be you.”

Siabrey’s mind froze for a few seconds, as the magnitude of what she just heard sank in.

He’ll have a Countess... and it won’t be the Princess... her mind, dulled by the tortures of now knowing parts of her ancestry and fear of losing him, stumbled, then... it will be...

She let out a little shriek, and grabbed Lucius. She felt his reassuring arms circle her, and she tried to pull herself as close to him as possible.

“Siabrey, I couldn’t leave you,” he said softly, resting his head on hers. Siabrey did not hear the Princess’ huff of fury and indignation, though she knew the woman she loathed was still around because Lucius broke off his tight hold of her rather quickly, and turned to face the Princess.

It was her turn to be livid, to have the color drained from her face. She had been spurned by someone below her station, and below her age...

“You! You are a...” her voice rose in fury.

It took a few moments for Siabrey to realize the small popping noise she heard at that moment was nothing normal, but the noise a man’s neck makes when it is broken. Her mind snapped to combat mode only when a crossbow bolt wickedly slammed into the Princess’ shoulder...

Tess and Elenya were the first to walk from the lower level hallways out into the Governor’s private garden. In the darkened courtyard in front of them stood many oaks, elms, and fruitwoods, giving off a distinctly pleasant odor. Flowers bloomed along the edges of the garden, as paths wound, crisscrossing through it. Standing near the middle was the governor, involved in a deep conversation with a cloaked figure who had his back to the party.

”What’s our plan?” Tess signaled Shaun, who was soon at her side.

“I’ll sneak off to the right,” Shaun whispered. “If someone could distract them, I would have the time to place a shot with my bow into one of their vitals...”

“I’ll sneak behind in,” Elenya volunteered. “It’ll put me in position to heal either Tess or Shauny, depending on who gets hurt...hopefully no one.”

“I’ll head till I’m within 30 feet of them,” Tess said, “I can use my spell magic that way. Pellaron, you should probably stand in the doorway, to block anyone coming in, and also to dash into the fray if needed.” The paladin nodded.

“I’ll provide the diversion,” Xanadu offered with a smile.

“Why the grin?” Shaun asked quietly. Maybe he’s grinning because he’s nervous.. like I am.

”I think I know this tiger headed chap,” Xanadu said. “Trust my diversion. Don’t move until I have their attention.” He grinned again.

“Are you sure, Xanadu? I know you are a powerful wizard and all, but if this Rakhasa has been around that long, he has undoubtedly gained formidable wizard powers as well... I don’t want you getting hurt unnecessarily.” You might be a bastard at times, but you know things, and you add firepower... we can’t afford to lose you.

“I know what I’m doing,” Xanadu said with a grin, and with the flash of a hand, he was floating slightly. A snap of his fingers and a word, and he was invisible. The party sat for several minutes, waiting, watching. A few guardsmen walked in the halls, and the party quickly pretended to be going some gardening... at night. The guardsmen seemed to be of the rather dull type, and merely shrugged (DM’s note: The guardsmen, rolled ones on their intelligence checks to realize few people garden at night).

The governor and his friend continued their in-depth conversation, only pieces of which drifted through the air so that the party could hear, among them phrases such as “triumph... Hieroneous’ fall, destruction of the Church...”

Yep... they’re the culprits, Tess’ mind thought. Now, we just have to take down an ancient Rakhasa and his doppelganger buddy, disguised as the most powerful man in the Valley...hooray.

Tess slipped forward, trying to hear some of the conversation, when her foot slipped on a gardening rake left outside in the gloom. While she didn’t fall, the rake made a clattering noise, which echoed throughout the courtyard.

Luckily for her, at that moment, Xanadu reappeared on a balcony above the two figures with a shout of, “I’m here! I see you!” The smile on Xanadu’s face is unnatural, as he merely stands on the balcony, and waits...

Siabrey’s combat instincts took over, and whatever loathing she had towards the Princess was instead replaced by the bodyguard mentality of “defend the defenseless.” She rushed over, and pulled from the gasping Princess’ shoulder the crossbow bolt, which had been hollowed out, allowing more blood than normal to gush out freely. The princess stood to her feet, as another bolt slammed Siabrey in the upper shoulder.

Dammit! Siabrey’s mind screamed, as she yanked the new bolt out of her own shoulder, blood now freely coating her armor in a slick mess. Lucius was immediately by her side, his sword drawn. The Chamberlain held his staff in a defensive pose, and to Siabrey’s surprise, the Princess, with no weapons, stayed, extending one of her hands and adopting a defensive posture.

So she knows unarmed combat? Siabrey’s rational mind interjected before her combat reflexes took over again. A heavy mist suddenly fell on the area, and in the approaching gloom, Siabrey could barely make out three figures, slinking, low, on all fours. As they drew near, they stopped slinking.

And started bounding.

Out of the gloom, three feline-like creatures, with belt pouches as a man would carry, and fingers and toes like a man, save their claws, bounded up and launched themselves at the Princess, Siabrey, and the old man. The chamberlain swung, connecting with his staff, but the enraged beast merely pounced on him, and shredded him apart literally, leaving his jugular in one location, and most of his lungs in another.

The second charges the Princess, who right as it leaps, jumps forward, her leg extended, and delivers a powerful kick to its jaw. The blow was so forceful the creature, despite being taller than the Princess when it stood on its hind legs, was knocked fully on its back.

That was pretty darn impressive! Siabrey’s rational mind jumped in again, only to be butted out by the creature that jumped towards her. Right as it was jumping, her katana flew out of his scabbard, slashing across the creature’s lower body. Its momentum was too much, and it slammed into her anyway, biting and clawing.

Another one of the hollow crossbow bolts slammed into the ground at Lucius’ feet as extended his hand towards the creature harming Siabrey, his voice rising towards a shout full of anger, hate and vengeance. The creature broke off its attack, clutching its throat. It stumbled backwards as Lucius’ hand began to glow red, and blood began to trickle, then pour out of the creatures mouth. It collapses backwards to the ground, a small fountain of blood gurgling from its struggling lips for several moments. (DM’s Note: a modified version of the drown spell... except when Lucius gets pissed, the person drowns in their own blood... quite evil :) ) Seeing her chance, Siabrey leapt forward, and slashed off the dying creatures head, sending showers of gore all over Zoe, herself, and Lucius.

The creature attacking the Princess received another sharp blow to its jaw, and the group was rewarded with a sick, cracking noise as its head separated from its neck, and it fell to the ground, twitching. This distraction however, kept the Princess from seeing the creature to her side that have freshly killed her Chamberlain, and it leapt at her as well. As Siabrey ran over, katana upraised, she noticed three more figures closing in the gloom... two more slinking, and one walking.

AS they emerged from the gloom just as she dispatched the Princess’ new attack, she made out in the two creature’s hands short, wickedly curved swords... kukris. And the walking figure she saw was tall, thin, with blond hair...

The two figures in the garden immediately spun around to face Xanadu, and the cloaked figure tossed off his hood, revealing the back of a tiger’s head to the party. His hand extended forth, and from it leapt a small, white bead towards the balcony. Xanadu, to the shock and amazement of the party, didn’t more... nary he didn’t flinch, as the bead of the massive fireball exploded around him.

A massive concussive roar thundered through the courtyard, as the balcony vanished in a massive explosion, far larger than the fireball that Lucius had unleashed on the demon. Parts of the stone base of the balcony fell, glowing hot, towards the group, yet when the smoke cleared, the party saw Xanadu floating where the balcony was, looking with alarm at his cloak, which had been burnt to ruin in the blast. It was apparent he had a few soot marks, but was otherwise unharmed.

“You ruined my coat!” his plaintive voice of annoyance rises in the courtyard.

“We’ll ruin far more than that you arrogant fool, Xanadu the Bright!” the rakhasa snarled.

What the? Shaun’s mind asked in wonder. He was aware magic was powerful, but he didn’t know any magic that could have stopped an explosion that big.

Don’t question what you don’t understand... keep sneaking his mind instructed, and Shaun carefully took position 30 feet directly behind the governor. In the darkness, he could barely make Tess and Elenya slinking forward as well. He carefully set his bow, and aimed for the rakhasa’s back.

Something went wrong, and he never quite figured out what it was, but his arrow flew just behind the creature’s ear. It spun around, as did the doppelganger, and the two now realized they were surrounded. Tess’ shout of music rose in the air, directed straight at the Rakhasa, who shivered under its effect, but continued to turn.

Pellaron chose this moment to boldly dash forward, now without his disguise and in the full gear of a paladin of Hieroneous, and run towards the cat creature. His charge lets him land a mighty blow on the surprised cleric of Hextor, ripping him open from shoulder to stomach. The mighty rakhasa stayed up, however, and another bead formed in his hand, and another fireball exploded around the one party member the creature could clearly see... Pellaron, who emerged badly burned, but very furious.

Elenya’s hand extended, and a small light shot forth, causing the rakhasa’s whiskers to grow icicles. It snarled, and yelled, “Kardatic, take care of these fools! I shall deal with Xanadu!”

The Governor drew his sword, and charged towards Shaun...

Siabrey braced herself as the three figures charged, one of the creatures and the man at her, and the other towards the Princess. The Princess was the first to feel their wrath, as one of the creatures slashed her in the leg with its kukri, just behind the knee. Her legs buckled, and she collapsed to the ground, screaming in agony.

The creature that attacked Siabrey found a sword sticking through its neck, and it twitched for a bit before with a kick and push from her leg, she pushed it off of her blade. The third unarmed one them bounded at her, and slashed her across her stomach, causing her to gasp in pain.

Lucius’ hand stretched out again, and it glowed red even brighter than before, as hard, vicious words coursed through the air, and the creature broke off its attack, blood spurting, gurgling, and then flying out of its mouth in a small fountain. As it collapsed, its body went pale as a bloody mess made the ground slippery and wet.

The human and Siabrey by this point were engaged in a duel of blades; her katana versus his midnight black, wickedly grooved short sword. The weapon slashed into her flank, causing her to start bleeding heavily, but nonetheless she landed several hard blows on him, driving back on his heels. He stumbled over the body of his still bleeding comrade and fell.

Lucius’ sword twirled in the air, as the second one armed with a kukri slashed him hard in the shoulder. Fortunately, it wasn’t his sword arm, and his skill using a bastard sword one handed paid off as the creature suddenly found itself without a belly or the guts within.

Lucius then had dashed over to the princess, who now had a creature snarling over her body, shredding her apart. A timely sword slash removed its head from its body, and the princess’ once perfect face was now covered with bits of gore and spinal fluid. As Siabrey clutched her side and started walking over to the rising boy with his blade, Lucius dashed over, and with the butt of his sword, sent the young man into unconsciousness.

“Are you alright!?” he said hurriedly to Siabrey, who clutched her side, which continued to bleed badly. She winced, and shook her head no. With the little training he had, Lucius managed to bind the wound up enough that the bleeding was staunched, and then both hobbled over to check on the princess.

“Your Majesty, can you walk?” Siabrey asked, as Lucius got some rope and began binding the man that had assaulted them. The princess gave a brave, gritty smile, and then gasped.

“No,” she managed to say, “My leg is torn to shreds...” Siabrey managed to put a tourniquet on her thigh, to keep her from dying of blood loss. Then, with a grunt, Siabrey lifted the princess onto her back, as Lucius did the same to the unconscious assassin. The group knew not where they were going to go, save they wanted to move quickly.

“The Temple of Kord isn’t too far from here, Lucius,” Siabrey said quickly, “Your Majesty, would you mind being healed there first?”

“Not at all,” the princess smiled, trying to hold back another cry of pain as the ribbon that was once a leg dangled by Siabrey’s thigh, “Maybe their strength can keep me going.”

The Governor’s blade barely missed Shaun, who ducked off to the side in the nick of time. The air beside his head crackled with electricity, and he felt the singe of heat from the blade.

Note to self! Stay away from the sword! his mind shouted. With a flick of the wrist, he ripped his dagger out of his place in his belt, and slashed forward with it. The governor, to his surprise, deftly dodged, and Shaun then dropped his dagger in favor of his rapier.

Tess, meanwhile, filled the air with her shout of music, assaulting the Rakhasa once again. The creature covered its ears in pain, though it grimly pressed forward. Elenya launched another small ray at the beast, adding icicles to its ear hairs. Shaun heard her curse loudly at the ineffectiveness of her spells. He would have shouted a quip in return, but the governor’s swinging blade found his stomach, and Shaun felt a unique stinging pain, as a jolt of electricity and a burst of flame leapt through his body. He brought his blade down on the governor in return, lancing the creature through the shoulder.

The rakhasa then cast several spells on himself, and a thin glow grew from his body as his mage armor took effect. Another spell later, and with lightning reflexes, he begins moving menacingly towards the party.

Xanadu, meanwhile, casts his hands in front of himself, and disappears once again. A few second later, the party hears something rather ominous.

A massive whumph, as is from the largest wings they could think of. The noise came again, and the rakhasa turned around just as Tess launched another, final song strike at it, frying its brain and sending its sizzling head falling towards the ground.

The governor manages to stab Shaun again as the rogue, now remembering he needs to take the governor alive, starts smacking him with the butt of his rapier. The governor seems barely fazed, even when Pellaron’s crossbow his him, until behind him, several trees are suddenly flattened, as if an immense object had fallen on them.

The governor turned around, just in time for the party to witness him smacked around like a rag doll before flying 15 feet from the final blow. They dash over, to find that he’s unconscious, but still alive. More importantly, his spell has been broken, and his true, sickly grey form now sticks out from underneath the governor’s clothing.

“Grumki!” Siabrey shouted as they approached Church of Kord, as she now was starting to labor under the Princess’ weight. “Someone help!” The princess had, thankfully for her, fallen into unconsciousness from the pain, as a tired and bloodied Lucius carried the assassin as well.

A few acolytes, most without shirts, and some still holding the chains of their “Test of Strength,” came out of the modest sized temple. Upon seeing who was one Siabrey’s back, a multitude thundered out, and immediately began helping the party inside.

The Princess was taken to the holiest part of the temple, the wrestling ring where participants proved before Kord and all who saw their strength and blessings, to be healed. Grumki himself showed up a few minutes later, and oversaw the healing of Lucius and Siabrey. True to his nature, Lucius stubbornly and angrily insisted that Siabrey be healed first.

Finally, the would-be assassin himself was healed, after stronger, more permanent bonds were applied.

He looks familiar Siabrey thought. Then she noticed that his blond hair still had very small black tips... and a snarl grew in her throat. You sick, rotten, perverted bastard! It was Siabrey would administered the kick that broke his unconscious slumber.

“You... you...” she snarled before adding as many profane insults she could remember at the man who not only had just tried to kill the Princess, her, and Lucius, but had also drugged Tess and killed the Imperial Chamberlain. Unlike the Temple of Pelor, cursing was expected here... the strength of Kord is sometimes known through insults and brave words. Such words did not move the boy, who despite his bonds, merely laughed.

“Weak, witless woman,” he laughed, “Do you think I’ll talk to you? About why I tried to kill you?”

“Kill me?” Siabrey’s rant stopped suddenly, and the boy smiled rather evilly.

“Of course, my dear. If you die, Lucius goes mad... and my mistress wins. I speak that much freely as there is nothing you can do hear that can get me to speak more.”

“Wait...” she said, her voice now quiet... “If I die.. you win?”

“Why yes!” the boy laughed, in a rather frightening and unstable manner, “You’ve noticed that his darker side comes forth when you are attacked? You had to! His mother did, as did my parents... why capture him, when we can kill you, and drive him to our side by the very evil within him...”

Siabrey’s face once again seemed almost crushed, and she spun away from the monstrous little boy, just as Grumki arrived with the phrase, “Grumki wants to hear you talk... if you do not talk, Grumki will make you scream...”

It’s not true! Lucius wouldn’t go mad if something happened to me! one part of her mind tried to console her. He’s not like that! He’s not evil at all! Her walk away from the assassin sped up, as she heard him screeching from Grumki lifting him into the air.

Siabrey! another part shouted, Look at what he did to the spider that attacked you! To the demon that imprisoned you in ice! And now to the assassins that tried to kill you! If causing people to drown in their own blood is not evil, I don’t know what is! Her walk sped up more. She had to get to another room... another place, so she could think.

But he loves me... a weaker part of her mind called.

Yes, and you are a weakness her bodyguard mind chimed in, You are a way they can reach him. Not to mention that if your ancestry is truly demonic...

She lied! Siabrey’s mind snarled as she sat down in a chair in the next room in the temple, holding her head in her hands, She lied hard to get Lucius to stay away from me!

What if she’s not... what if she told the truth? Then, not only are they trying to get him by getting you... he is being exposed to demon blood every day... Tears started flowing from her eyes, as her bodyguard mentality jumped in again.

He’s truly safer without you, it said slowly, softly. If you aren’t close to him, that is one less weakness they can exploit...

No! If I break away from him, it could hurt him... it could push him over the edge! the other parts of her mind called, weaker as the bodyguard mentality increased.

Siabrey... do you want to stay with him because its best for him... or because its best for you? If you love him... you will protect him from this attack, by distancing yourself... the bodyguard mind continued, rationally and thoughtfully. Siabrey, you promised to always protect him... do so now!

But I can’t decide!

Her minds troubles were interrupted as she heard footsteps coming into the room. She looked up, and saw Lucius looking down on her, his face drawn from exhaustion and concern.

“What’s wrong, hon?” he said quietly.

She got up and walked out of the room.

“So... this is a doppelganger?” the Captain of the Guard asked, looking at the unconscious figure in the governor’s clothing. “If so, where is the governor?”

“We don’t know,” Tess replied, as Elenya went about healing injuries. Xanadu had reformed as a half elf amidst the chaos he had caused, with a small grin on his face. He had avoided all questions from the group as to how he did it, and now was setting about rifling through the crushed rakhasa’s body.

“Well, I’m afraid I’ll have to take you all in for questioning... along with the servants that witnessed this... just to be...” and the captain’s voice trailed off as one of the guardsmen ran by screaming, “Princess Zoe was attacked! Assassins are about! To the Temple of Kord!”

Before the guardsman could speak, Tess volunteered that the party would go with, taking the unconscious doppelganger along.

It was fully ten minutes later when the group arrived at the temple. They found the Princess limping around on a newly healed leg, shouting at a young boy... whom Tess immediately recognized.

“Shivalas!” she snarled, and came close to kicking him in the ribs. She stopped as she saw the tears flowing rapidly down his face. Grumki’s “persuasion” had worked wonders....

“Don’t hurt me anymore!” he cried between sniffles, and it was then that she realized his age...

He’s not much older than Lucius at the eldest... who would send their child to kill on such a mission?

”Boy,” she said quietly, “I owe you many things, but as life goes, many debts go unpaid. Tell me... are you the son of Rogar Mithras?” The boy sobbed, and nodded.

“Can you tell me where you mother and father are?” she asked gently. “I won’t hurt you.”

“Mum,” he blurted out between sniffles, “she’s... out east... somewhere... dad... I don’t know. They said I’d... earn my... spurs if I pulled this off...”

Poor kid, Tess suddenly found herself saying. While I still hate his guts for pulling me like a fool... I still feel sorry for him. This is the life he knows...

Chances are that’s about as much as we can get out of him here...

“Guardsman,” Tess volunteered, “perhaps he could be taken to the Temple of Hieroneous for alternative questioning? I doubt we’ll get much more out of him by physical force...”

The guardsman grunted, and trotted off to ask a superior.

He needs someone he can trust right now... he’ll tell all to them. I can’t be that person, I despise him too much despite feeling sorry for him...

As those thoughts finished, the doppelganger, bound and now awake, found himself tossed beside the boy for interrogation.

“Who are you?!” the Princess snarled, a new target for her ire. “Speak, or you will speak under pain!”

The doppelganger refused to open its mouth... until Grumki came yet again and lifted him skyward. After a quick struggle, the creature was summarily dropped, and the Princess posed her question again.

“I... am... Kardatic...” it barely managed to speak. “I... I follow the Church of Hextor....”

Over the next half hour, Tess listened as the creature spilled its guts to the party... how he was an agent for Hextor... how he killed and took over the governor’s body to destroy the Temple of Hieroneous... how the rakhasa (named Palador) was the leader of the regional Church of Hextor. However, when posed a question about the Countess, he reacted with confusion... not even knowing about her rebellion....

Tess did not hear the rest of his blatherings, as by this point, tired of interrogations and the like, she wandered into the next room, only to see Lucius, with a broken face, talking to Xanadu in low tones. After the boy nodded at the wizards’ final statement and left, she walked up beside him and asked what was troubling Lucius..

“Siabrey won’t talk to him, won’t even be near him,” Xanadu sighed. “I don’t know why... but I intend to find out.”

It was several hours later back at the Temple of Pelor... far past the bewitching hours of midnight, when Siabrey flipped through the fifth book in the Pelor library she found on the siabrie.

Hmm...same as the others... desert dwellers... quiet... stay to themselves... only harm those that harm the desert and its inhabitants...

It says nothing here about wanton destruction, vicious anger, or demonic ancestry... they’re closer to nymphs than they are to demons...

She flipped the page and continued reading... part of her scared at what she’d find, and part of her scared of what Lucius thought.

He’s probably sure you’re a demon now, part of her brain chimed in. For all that she wanted him to stay away now, for his own safety, she still desired his attempted passes earlier in the evening.

I want him to come by and ask what’s wrong, but I don’t... this is too confusing! She was about ready to slam the book shut in frustration when she heard a knock on the doors to the library.

It’s him! part of her strangely jumped for joy. Despite her isolation from him, he still loved her. I... I.. shouldn’t open the door the rest of her mind decided quickly. He... he has to get used to not being able to see me... and... I must get used to the same. She was long past the point of tears, but if her tired eyes had any, one would have fallen.

“Open up... its Xanadu!” a voice called from beyond the door. She got up, and quickly skittered through the hall, opening the door.

“Siabrey,” he said before she could even give a greeting, “we need to talk.” He gently pushed his way in, and she didn’t resist as he closed the door, and then turned to face her.

“Before the question I know you’re going to ask,” Siabrey said quietly. “Can you tell me if you’ve seen any siabrie before?”

Xanadu once again got that very vacant, distant stare, as if he was looking deep into the past. He blinked, and then returned to the present.

“Yes... I’ve known many, my child... why?”

“The princess says that I’m descended from their blood... from one named Kelir... did you ever meet him?” Xanadu’s face grew into a big smile, and he gave a small chuckle.

“Many many years ago, I met him once. A good one. He helped me immensely at that time with a problem I was having out in the Obashi Desert. He’s like the others... quiet, tend to stay out of the way unless they are lonely, and rarely bothers outsiders. Thankfully, the outsiders that were bothering me bothered him as well!” Siabrey smiled distantly... before being pulled back into the present by Xanadu saying he had a question for her.

“Its about you and Lucius,” Xanadu said, looking her in the face. “Why are you avoiding him?”

Oh god... where do I start? I want to be with him, but I love him, so I can’t?

“It... it was the assassins... they went after me... not Lucius. They wanted to kill me to turn him into something he hates, something he loathes... into the evil that is his mother!” Somehow, Siabrey’s body found more tears, and they started flowing again. “So I want to stay away from him... I love him enough that I don’t want him to become something like that! If I have to love him from a distance, I will!”

Xanadu sighed, and let her rest her head on his shoulder. “There, there, my child,” he said softly. “Its ok.” After a few moments, he pushed her away gently and looked her in the eye.

“IF he doesn’t have you at his side, who will be there? You are the one most qualified to defend yourself if they go after his loved ones, Siabrey. I here you took down three assassins single handedly. No one else in our group can do that...”

“But... I don’t want him being turned into something he hates on my account,” she said again. Her voice was muffled as she continued to cry.

It’s so hard to choose!

“Siabrey,” Xanadu said, holding her by the shoulders, “did you love him before the assassination attempt, before you knew all of this?” She sniffed, and nodded yes rather firmly.

“You should still love him now then,” Xanadu said quietly. “And I know he still loves you. If you love him... go to him. Talk to him. Don’t avoid him... its tearing him apart.” I’ll look up more information if you want, but you have more important things to do right now.”

Last edited:

Of Confessions and Redemptions

Siabrey slowly walked through the halls of the Temple... the same halls that she’d walked, her heart ablaze only a few days earlier to spend her first time with Lucius. Now she walked with a feeling of dread that hung heavy from her soul.

What do I say to him... what can I say to him?

I love you, so I must leave you all alone?

As her lonely footfalls echoed in the marbled and colonnaded halls, her mind reflected on the young man she was heading to meet. He was only removed a little over three weeks from his entire world being destroyed, a noble’s title and responsibility shoved on his shoulders, while he watched as his former life, friends, and family now became his bitter enemies.

Siabrey! You’re the closest thing to a family he has left! part of her mind argued as she turned another corner slowly.

Yes... and I love him. But loving someone means having to put him above yourself! You want to be with him, but you’ll only hurt him! the same voices that had cautioned against having a relationship called, louder and stronger. If you’re too close to him and they kill you... he’ll become the very thing he hate...evil…

If you leave him, alone and frightened, he will lose himself! the first part of her mind interrupted her thoughts. He’s going to break down if you cut things off... he’s young, and he’s scared... you’ve seen it in his eyes, Siabrey...

The mental image of his green eyes, large, pregnant with the tears of confusion, shame and fear that fell to the ground in Kulloden filled her mind as she rounded the last corner, and walked across the small alcove towards the room where she knew he was.

But you need to protect him, Siabrey... even if it means protecting him from yourself! her protective mind called. You want a relationship with him! But it’s vulnerability! It’s a weakness he cannot have at this time! You are his friend, and his bodyguard!

I am his lover too! the other part of her mind shot back.

Her mind went back as she slowly, carefully turned the knob, to a phrase she had uttered seemingly so long ago, when she’d cradled him in her arms after their first kiss:

I love you. I am here to protect you. You are safe with me. I shall never hurt you or leave you alone…

The door swung open silently, and the light from the hallway filtered into a partially lit room. Lucius stood in the center of the dreary light, his back to the door. He was stripped down to the waist, and she could see the sweat glistening on his muscles as he held his bastard sword over his head, a soft whoosh coming through the air as it danced against an unseen foe, as if he was trying to conjure up the demons within himself to slash them out of his life.

Step left, heft down with right stroke her subconscious martial mind recorded. Up thrust, backspin slash. The moves slowly seemed more and more familiar, until she recognized them.

They were her combat moves with her own sword.

They were slower, yes. They were less precise, yes. But they were hers. To the steps, the thrusts, and the slashes. She stood for a few seconds, watching as the blade danced slowly, gracefully at times.

“Lucius?” Siabrey said quietly as the sword’s whispering song continued. The slow slash halted in midair, and the blade’s dance fell towards the ground as he turned around. His eyes had a run of red in them, and while tears had coursed his cheeks, they now clung only barely within his eyelids.

“Oh, hi,” his voice came, wavering slightly on the first word, before stiffening at the greeting. His blade found its scabbard, and he turned to face her. She could tell his shoulders were slouched, and his face was a mere facade that was brittle enough to crack at the slightest touch. Conflicting thoughts thundered through Siabrey’s head, as she opened her mouth, and finally spoke.

“I... I need to talk to you about something,” she said quietly, entering the room fully. Lucius nodded quietly, sitting on the edge of the main bed in the room. Siabrey softly closed the door, and the gloom in the room increased tenfold as her features were no lit only by the light of the few lit candles. “Its... about you... and me.”

“Somehow, I guessed it would likely be that,” Lucius said quietly, as Siabrey sat next to him. In her nervousness, she made sure there was a gap, at least six inches, between the two. Her eyes picked up from Lucius’ face that he noticed this too, and he grew more crestfallen. She extended a hand gingerly along the bed, which his own slowly covered as she looked in his eyes, searching for words.

“Lucius... I...” she started before the runway thoughts in her mind derailed whatever coherent sentence as about to be expressed.

Just tell him, Siabrey!

But how... how do I tell him I love him so much I can’t be near him anymore?

Maybe you should get closer to him instead? Xanadu was right... you do
love[/i] him, and you’re far more capable of defending yourself than most any other love he might set his heart on...[/i]

“There...” she started again, “was something... that the assassin told me. He... he said,” she said, her own voice quavering a bit, “that they were not after you... or the princess. They... were after me,” Her mind gave a mental sigh as one of the more difficult parts was passed. She visibly saw a mixed look of compassion for Siabrey coupled with fury at the would-be assassins come over Lucius’ face. As his eyes grew dangerous at the mere thought, she pressed onward in her quiet, gentle voice.

“Lucius... they thought if they killed me they could drive you insane!” she blurted out, getting up.

There.. it's said. Now, finish it, her protective mind stormed. Do it now, while you have strength...

No! another part of her cried, Don’t break it off so suddenly! He’s a poor young man... alone in the world without you!

Lucius’ hand, now without its mate, gripped the mattress cover rather tightly, before relaxing rapidly. His eyes softened, and a bit of fear seeped into them as her words sunk in, and her heart broke on seeing his breaking face.

“I’m... I’m afraid I’m too close to you Lucius... I... I want you to be safe!” I would die if anything happened to you! Especially if it was on my account! “I know you hate evil, and it would kill me to know that my decision turned you into something you loathe! I love you too much!”

There, its out, her protective mind cried, yet her heart was not at ease... it broke and the tears began to well anyway.

“Siabrey,” he started to reply, his own voice wavering, as small tear beginning its plunge down his cheek.

Cut him off Siabrey! You’re will is breaking! You MUST do it now! her protective mind called, while other parts of her mind cried for her to give him his peace. She started to open her mouth, but her own emotions choked the words before they could rise out of her throat.

“...my world... it no longer exists,” Lucius said quietly. “My mother has betrayed me, many of my friends are dead, and I cannot return home for fear for my sanity. Siabrey,” he stood up slowly, shakily, “..you’re all I have left!” Another tear, then another, slip down his cheeks, as two tears do likewise down Siabrey’s own face.

He’s breaking! her mind plaintively called. It’ll kill him if you pull away!

You must do it now! her protective mind called, weaker but still strong. As her conflict raged, Lucius half walked, half fell into her, and her small frame suddenly found the taller man leaning down onto her shoulder, the tears genuine and flowing as a torrent.

“In all the darkness that has happened in the last month, I could always say that at least I had you,” Lucius’ muffled voice came from her shoulder. “I love you!” He pulled away, sniffles rising as he looked her in the face. “I don’t care who they’re after, that won’t stop me from loving you! They will never break me of that, and I love you too much to turn into that!” Her heart collapsed when she saw his face... completely broken, the cool reserve of nobility completely stripped away, and the naked soul of a scared man before her... and a man afraid of loneliness, tortured in doubt. The lights of the few candles flickered on his face, dancing in the stream of flowing tears.

“I love you Lucius... that’s...” her protective mind coaxed her into starting again before she succumbed to the urge to grab him and pull him tight, close, to smother his fear, crush his doubts. Siabrey’s crying was genuine now as well, as her mantra to him repeated in his head.

I love you. I am here to protect you. You are safe with me. The first part of her mantra repeated again in her head, as her mind fought the deepest emotional fight it had faced in her 25 years of life.

But he’s not safe with you! her protective mind called. They will use you to drive him to the edge, to turn him into what he loathes, what he hates!

But I LOVE him! And he LOVES me! I can’t push him away! I can’t leave him like this! other parts of her mind screamed, thundering now far louder than her protective side.

I shall never hurt you...

Staying will only hurt him horribly in the end, Siabrey!

Leaving will tear him apart! Look at him! YOU ARE WHAT HE HAS LEFT, SIABREY! He has vested his trust, his mind... indeed, his heart and soul into you! There is no greater wound... the wound of death doesn’t even approach that in depth and horror! Her protective side’s grip loosened even more, as the mantra continued.

...or leave you alone…

I shall never leave him! her mind called, the protective side now very faint.

It might hurt him in the end! It might hurt him more, Siabrey... Siabrey’s protective mind called as a final cry.

Not as much as leaving him to face this world alone! I love him!

A sudden rushing relief passed through her as her protective side finally broke, and with one last whisper gave in. Then protect him by loving him more than anything in this world...

“I love you,” she said firmly into his chest, her mind made up. “...that’s why I’m here to protect you.” It was her turn to pull away slightly, and look deep into his eyes, “You’re safe with me! I will never hurt you, and I’ll never leave you alone! Never!” She then gripped him tightly. “No matter what comes, I will be by your side... as your protector... your lover ...your friend! I love you!”

As the last utterings of the soft phrase, “I love you,” echoed in the still room, the line in Siabrey’s mind changed.

I love you Lucius! I will never leave you! No one will tear us apart! I shall be at your side, protecting you through my love, forever.

The hug he pulled her into was almost crushing, but she tugged hard as well, as if trying to bring his heart and hers as close to each other as possible. She leaned up, and a brief, fleeting kiss broke between her lips, one she conveyed all of her love and emotion through, receiving an outpouring of the same from him. Their embraces tightened as they stood in the middle of the candle-lit room. Time passed very slowly, and Siabrey’s eyes felt heavy from exhaustion. The long night, the battle, the spending hours in the library reading…

Pulling back slightly, Siabrey felt that small string of worry creep back into her head. “That reminds me. Lucius, you heard what the princess said about my heritage... about my father being a ‘desert demon?’” Lucius pulled away slightly, and a thin smile crossed his lips.

“Siabrey, anyone that gave you your haunting eyes or your beautiful wings can be no demon, but a saint in my eyes.” Siabrey blushed, her face going a deep crimson, but she pressed onwards.

“In all seriousness, Lucius... what if it were true?”

“Is it?” Lucius asked looking down on her, his eyebrows arched more in curiousity than alarm. Siabrey’s heart felt no rush of relief at his demeanor, as she saw a tinge of concern in his eyes.

What if he drops you, after you bared your soul to him? her mind panicked. Nervousness in her body sooner became tinged with a small dose of fear.

Its probably he’s worried for you, not about you! He wants you to be happy, and he sees you are panicking!

What if he’s worried that its true? What then?

Explain, it fully... concisely... quickly. the more reasoned part of her mind commanded, Make sure he understands that you don’t have evil in your won veins... that your father is merely a noble of the desert...

“Um... well,” she started slowly, her scared mind looking for words before locking gaze dead into his eyes, “it is. Well, not my father being a demon part,” she added quickly. Words were now tumbling out of her mouth as nervous jitters coursed through her body. “He’s a desert spirit, more-so. His kind only get angry when they feel they’re threatened, or when someone harms the desert! He’s not bad! I looked up the information! Thats why I was at the library so long! He’s somewhat like... like.. like you and your nobles defending your...”

Her tumbling, hurried words were stopped with a little gasp of air when Lucius put a single finger over her mouth, a genuine smile on his lips. His hand then coursed from covering her mouth to caressing her cheek.

“Siabrey,” he grinned, idly stroking her cheek, “You are not a bad person, regardless of who or what your father is. It is you I love, you I care about... not him, not your mother, not anyone else.” Siabrey’s face of towering worry collapsed into a smile of joy... and no small share of relief as well.

“Really?” she asked has he drew her close. With all the horrible things the Princess said, how can anyone be that... forgiving? He still amazes me... She leaned her head into his reassuring hand, and her eyes closed.

“Remember when you found out I knew about your wings, and you were scared I thought you were a succubus?” Lucius reminesced. Siabrey nodded, and Lucius continued, “I had already accepted whatever your ancestry was then. Your father is your father, Siabrey... just as my mother, for all of her evil, is still... my mother. There isn’t anything either of us can do about who brought us in the world... we can only,” and his voice paused in the air for a second, as it searched for words, “... we can only change this world for the better.”

Siabrey opened her eyes, the smile on her face growing larger, as she realized the full depths to which this noble cared for her. She pulled his closer, as did he, and for what seemd an eternity, their lips were locked again. Her relief, her happiness, and her love were poured forth.

I love this man... completely and utterly, her mind cooed. She felt a powerful urge to turn and drag him towards the still undisturbed mattress on the other side of the room, before the sterner part of her mind stopped her.

He’s such a pretty boy... he doesn’t need another sunburn. After what happened earlier, he needs as much reassurance as you do... hold him tight tonight, there will be other times...

Last edited:

And teh following didn't happen on a campaign day... but its a little "bonus story" that Siabrey's player typed up. It fits in with the rest of the campaign, so I'm posting it here, where it would join in...

===================================================

Siabrey awoke early with a strange feeling in her mind. She felt unsettled, as if there was something she should be doing. Glancing over at Lucius, her face softened to see the boy still sound asleep, mouth partly open as he breathed gently. Reaching out, she ran a fingertip down his cheek gently. He stirred, and a soft smile crossed his lips.

“Siabrey” he whispered, and she froze. He merely rolled over though and returned to sleep with a light snore, and she considered doing the same.

She was unable to fall back asleep though, and merely lay, her eyes tracing the patterns of wood on the ceiling as she thought. Something about Lucius saying her name had brought back that unsettled feeling. She shifted her weight trying to get more comfortable and felt her wings move under her.

The reason behind the unsettled feeling suddenly clicked into place at their movement; she knew who her father was.

Sitting up, she slid out of bed slowly and carefully so as not to wake Lucius. She made her way over to the small table in the corner of the room and lit a single candle. By its flickering light, she drew out a sheet of paper and a quill and sat staring at the paper for several long moments. Finally deciding, she nodded and set quill to paper.

My dear Stodiana,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am sorry that it has been so long since I last wrote you. Holstean was wonderful. I found work alright, which leads me to this next circumstance.

Mother, I’ve met someone. He is kind, charming, and deeply in love with me, and I love him just as much in return. But I’m worried mother. Bad things are happening up here. I can’t tell you exactly, for fear this letter will be intercepted and I don’t want to tip off our enemies. Do not worry mother. As usual, I will be in the middle of the worst battles, and come out as sweet as your rose garden.

There is also another new development, one that I do not think even you suspected. Mom, I know who my father was. A ‘friend’ found out and told me about Kelir, the desert siabrie.

Do not be upset, I understand why you never told me. However, there is a possibility that my paths and his could cross. I do not know what to say or do if that should happen, mother. I have never met this man before, and he does not even know that I exist. Any advice that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Mother, I have a favor to ask. I know that the Sipner family blood has grown thin, and that your voice has little weight with the other nobles. However, please do all you can to raise them to arms should the need arise. War is coming, and although I pray it does not reach near your shores, I fear it may cover the entire Empire. Do NOT side with the Countess of Holstean, and should she march on the city, flee as quickly as possible. Be safe, and know that I will always love you.

I will write again as soon as I am able.

May Hieroneous protect,

Siabrey ~

Siabrey finished off her letter with a flourish, and set the quill down. Blowing on the ink lightly to help it dry, she mused over her words. Stodiana would be shocked at the recent turn of events, and Siabrey only wished she could tell her mother more.

I do not even risk mentioning Lucius’ name. I have no idea how secure this letter will be. She sighed softly and was about to fold the letter when a sleepy voice from across the room murmured “Siabrey? What are you doing?”

She looked over to where a half-awake Lucius was stretching his arms above his head and yawning.

“Writing a letter to my mother.” She answered simply, judging his response. He slid out of the bed, and rather sleepily stumbled over to where she was. Siabrey knew there was no point in hiding the letter. She held out the letter for Lucius to read.

“She would be worried about me, I try to write her about once a week, and it’s been at least a month since I last wrote.” He placed a hand on her shoulder, gently kneading it, as he leaned over and scanned.

“I’m just curious, Siabrey,” he said as he started reading, “I don’t know anything about your mother... you hardly spoke of her. How is she? A nice, kind lady? I doubt she could be an old hag, considering the wondrous beauty she brought into the world,” he grinned, rubbing his eyes to dust off some of the sleep.

“You jest!” she smiled, “She is a very nice woman, kind to her core... she was the one that gave me my sword,” Siabrey pointed to her katana, flashing bright in the dim light.

“She wielded it as well?” Lucius asked, admiring the weapon. Siabrey nodded.

“She forged it herself,” Siabrey said distantly. I miss her... Lucius saw the distant look in her eye, and slid his other hand to cup her other cheek, so she could rest her head between them.

“Siabrey... once this is over... and we have some time... I promise you, we will journey to the edge of our realm.. the Obashi desert... and we’ll find your father!”

Her emotions were mixed. My father doesn’t know me, though.... he could get confused!

But he’ll never know me if I don’t go find him...

“We’ll find someone that understands their language... perhaps maybe send a rider to your mother? It is a ways off... and I love you enough that I’ll figure out something if you want to go find him,” he said, his voice growing more absent-minded, until he grunted suddenly.

“Hmmm?” Siabrey asked, looking up at him.

“Sipner family blood? They are nobles from the east.... past Iskeldrun, right?” Siabrey nodded yes. He then gave her an enormous smile. “I never knew you had noble blood in you! I was right to make you kneel instead of prostrate yourself!”

“I didn’t think it was important... so I never mentioned it,” she said, leaning to her left. It was relaxing to have him supporting her no matter which way she turned.

“Well... rest assured... we shall hold them here... in the Valley, Siabrey,” Lucius said, his voice changed slightly. It wasn’t soft like it was the few sentences before... there was determination backing it now. “If they get as far as where your mother is... I... I prefer not to think of it,” he changed the tack of his statement suddenly. Siabrey’s closed eyes reopened, and she looked up at him.

Why have you stopped, my love? she thought, a little worried. “Why not?”

Lucius responded with a big smile, one she easily saw covered up some deep worries.

“Because... they will never get that far, my dear. Not with you by my side...” She smiled, hers too covering her worries.

I hope so too, my love. I hope so too...

She leaned forward and lay her head against his chest for several minutes, enjoying the deep thrum of his heart and the wonderful feeling of his fingers stroking her hair.

The feeling was obscured by a memory of tiger-headed men gushing blood from their mouths. Frowning, Siabrey lifted her head to gaze into Lucius’ eyes.

“I have a question to ask hon.”

He smiled at her. “Sure”

Biting her lip, she paused several seconds before answering. I hope this is the right thing to do. I don’t know how he’s going to react to me asking this.

“When the assassins were attacking me, you used some kind of spell to make them drown in their own blood? Lucius, that sounds to me like an evil spell.”

“I... I’m not sure,” he said quietly. “I... I don’t completely control what magic comes out of me, love. When I see you hurt, when I see them hurting you,” his voice grew a little husky, “I... just react. The magic... it flows,” he pulled her a little closer to him as he finished, before relaxing his grip again.

“I don’t want you using any kind of that magic, love, even to protect me. It’s just not worth it.” She lay her head against his chest again and pulled him tight. “I care too much about you to see you hurt yourself that way.”

“I don’t know if I’m hurting myself,” Lucius said quietly, “but when I see you being hurt, I get angry, and it flows out of my fingertips,” he rubbed his fingers together to accent the point, and Siabrey looked up at him. Seeing the look of slight disapproval in her eyes, he then smiled.

“I am learning, love. Why do you think I brought along a spell book? I read it every day... usually before you get up.”

Siabrey smiled up at him, “Good. Keep up with it. If you don’t, I’ll motivate you,” she kept the embrace going, feeling his reassuring warmth alongside her.

“I can control simpler magic fairly well,” Lucius said, pushing back from her slightly. He then held up his hands, and a small image of her floated above it. Only about an inch high, it was her, clad in the yellow dress, dancing. After a few seconds, it vanished. “Unfortunately, simple things like this don’t help much when one is fighting. But I keep learning,” he said, trying to make her feel better. “I am sorry, love, if I scared you with my magic today.”

“I’m not scared of you, Lucius,” Siabrey corrected, “I’m scared for you. I know what the enemy is trying to do... and every time one of those spells comes from your fingers, you are helping them. I love you... I don’t want to see you hurting yourself,” she smiled. Lucius kissed her on the forehead.

“Do you feel better now? It’s still late, and we should get another few hours sleep before morning.” Siabrey nodded, and arm in arm, they walked back towards the bed. They laid back down together for a few more hours of sleep. It was going to be a long day.

Lela

First Post
Incredible. It's so engaging and realistic. Yet it's, well, epic. I feel like I'm reading a modern day Shakespeare.

How long do you spend writing a week? You update so frequently and in such volume it's amazing. I'm not complaining (of course). Just curious.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases