Counterspell ?

mikebr99

Explorer
Gwarok said:
Can you counterspell a spell-like ability?
Nope...
Spell-Like Abilities: Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A few spell-like abilities are unique;
these are explained in the text where they are described.
A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user
activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a
somatic component.
A spell-like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description. In all
other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell.
Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and to being dispelled by dispel magic. They do not function in areas where
magic is suppressed or negated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled.Some creatures are actually sorcerers of a sort. They cast arcane spells as sorcerers do, using components when required. In
fact, an individual creature could have some spell-like abilities and also cast other spells as a sorcerer.

Mike

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Gwarok said:
Can you counterspell a spell-like ability?

Nope. Counterspelling requires a Spellcraft check, which in turn requires you to witness verbal or somatic components. And the counterspell description mentions "casting".

Andargor

EDIT: I really should get that Fast Posting feat... :D

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
andargor said:
<snip> which in turn requires you to witness verbal or somatic components <snip>

Andargor

EDIT: I really should get that Fast Posting feat... :D

Not totally true... oldtimer ;)
Nothing in the rules says anything about a stilled, quickened, eschewed spell being exempt from counterspelling... though I'd rule otherwise.

YMMV

Mike

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases