Should off-topic polls be allowed in the Off-Topic Forum?

Should off-topic polls be allowed in the off-topic forum?

• Yes, allow off-topic polls.

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • No, don't allow off-topic polls.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Neither of your options is adequate for me, fool!

Votes: 17 27.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricNoah

Adventurer
We've had a longstanding ban against off-topic polls in the past because people just went crazy with them. But now that we have an out of the way place for off-topic posting, should off-topic polls be allowed on a trial basis?

I dunno...it would probably allow too many completely random and ultimatly pointless things. At least some discussions in this forum aren't THAT pointless. :)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
We've had a longstanding ban against off-topic polls in the past because people just went crazy with them. But now that we have an out of the way place for off-topic posting, should off-topic polls be allowed on a trial basis?
I don't know. Maybe. Why don't you start a poll with that question to see what everyone thinks? :D

Macbeth

First Post
Well, I don't have strong feelings either way, but I had to vote when I saw the "fool" option.

On a more serious note: can the server handle the strain? I thought the ban on OT polls was in part resource related.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Macbeth said:
Well, I don't have strong feelings either way, but I had to vote when I saw the "fool" option.

On a more serious note: can the server handle the strain? I thought the ban on OT polls was in part resource related.

No, it wasn't resource related as far as I remember -- it was that people just loved posting silly pointless polls even more than regular off-topic banter, and it was getting so you couldn't go anywhere without tripping over them. We got lots of complaints. So we banned them as a way to keep some of the off-topic clutter out of General.

Macbeth

First Post
EricNoah said:
No, it wasn't resource related as far as I remember -- it was that people just loved posting silly pointless polls even more than regular off-topic banter, and it was getting so you couldn't go anywhere without tripping over them. We got lots of complaints. So we banned them as a way to keep some of the off-topic clutter out of General.
In that case I don't see any problem with it, but I'm not particularly for it either. Do as you will, oh mighty mods.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I'd advocate taking a wait-and-see attitude. I didn't have high hopes for this forum, but it's going well. The place hasn't turned into spam heaven or anything. There is a possibility that allowing off topic polls would change that balance. Since this is still an experiment, I don't think it's a good idea to add another variable right now. If this forum ends up staying, then maybe in a few months it would be a good idea to see what happens if OT polls are also allowed.

orbitalfreak

First Post
I wouldn't mind, as long as people kept them from being non-sensical. Who's going to win the [sport] playoffs? Which is your favourite musical genre? I think those would be fine. "Have you hugged your couch today? Y/N" would probably not be.

alsih2o

First Post
i wouldn't

Attachments

• worms.JPG
    worms.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 130

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads