Night Below??

Crimson_Blade

First Post
an idea

I too am interested in Night Below. Maybe I could spend my free time converting the book. The problem is the treasure. It would require a MAJOR overhaul. Get Finslayer? Ever? I don't think so!

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Re: an idea

Crimson_Blade said:
I too am interested in Night Below. Maybe I could spend my free time converting the book. The problem is the treasure. It would require a MAJOR overhaul. Get Finslayer? Ever? I don't think so!

and why is that? Have you done any part of the conversion? The First encount that the pc's have on the Highway is a EL 6!!!! For a bunch of first level pc's fighting against:

2 Archers (Fighter 1)
3 'Farmers' (Warrior 1)
Carlanis (Fighter 2)

Good god! There is no way in hell that a group of 1st level guys can defeat them without dying! Impossible! Now those are using my coversions from the module but the module has all farmers and archers as fighters and carlanis as a 2nd level fighter. I made the archers fighters and the 'farmers' warriors as the warrior is a thug instead of a trained fighter like a fighter ;) . Do you really wanna see my conversion of the Green dragon? 76 hp's?!?! Your outta your f'n mind! She's a beast with over 400+ now and dishin out damage in the low 30's for every hit!

As for the treasure and finslayer? Why noT? they will need it come later! Have you seen how powerful the aboleth are? Good god there is literally CR of Gods themselves!!?!?! Care to see one of the big savant aboleth converted? Look no farther than right here. this is sans, feats, skills, and random stats using PCGen to do the calculations:

New3, M Aboleth Cleric12 Necromancer14 CR 33; Size:H Type Aberration; HD (8d8)+(12d8)+(14d4)+136; hp 259; Init +3 (+3 Dex, +0 Misc); Spd Walk 10', Swim 60'; AC 18 (flatfooted 15, touch 18), Tentacle (Natural/Primary) +31/+31/+31/+31 0'/S (1d6+11 20/x2 Neither G ) or ; SA: Mucus Cloud(Ex),Transformation(Ex),Psionics(Sp),Enslave(Su),Spontaneous casting,Rebuke Undead 8/day,Summon Familiar; Vision: Darkvision (60') AL: LE; Sv: Fort +18, Ref +13, Will +29; Str 32, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 20

Skills and Feats: Concentration +15, Knowledge (Underdark) +7, Listen +17, Spot +17; Alertness,Armor Proficiency (Heavy) (1x),Armor Proficiency (Light) (1x),Armor Proficiency (Medium) (1x),Combat Casting,Iron Will,Scribe Scroll,Shield Proficiency,Simple Weapon Proficiency
Possessions: 1.0 Tentacle (Natural/Primary), 0.0 Outfit (Artisan's/Huge),
Spells: Cleric: (6 /6 /5 /5 /4 /3 ) ,
Wizard: (4+1 /5+1 /5+1 /4+1 )

You cry about finslayer being too powerful?!??! Sheeoot! The pc's need an army to kill these bad beasts. CR33 with 250 hp's and enough spell's to choke a horse??!?!? Did i mention there are 6 of these the pc's must kill! The grand savant!?!?!? CR of 40-50 at least!

I have got book 1 80% complete and the PC's are starting it tommorow. I am using 2 programs to do this: PCGen for the major characters and RolePlayingManger for the critters. Unfortunately RPM does not calculate the CR of the creatures too well and pcgen does a smidge better job at it so conversion is easy.

Pray for your party, this module is worse than the RtToEE....

Bumped it for 2 reasons. 1, I saw your other post on this topic, and remembered reading this a few months ago when it was first posted. I thought you might want to see what some of their thoughts were.

2, this was the first published D&D adventure I ever ran, and yes, it was a whopper, but a fun one. I somehow allowed the party to get ahold of a bunch of explosive mushrooms, shrink them with an item spell, and stick them in a jar, tie the jar to an arrow, and fire it into the main city of the aboleth. Wow, the things I was stupid enough to do back then. ;)

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
ahh so this is RW's first ubermodule played huh? well book I is neraly done and so far I must stick better to the conversion guide for the multiclassed critters as they are way too powerful to be taken straight on.

Macbrea

First Post
When 3ed first came out I decided to run the "Night below" campaign box set and just convert as I went. Here is what I can safely say about the box set.

Book 1:
This book is easy to convert and most players have fun in this section of the adventure. The first fight looks rough but they are so poorly armed they die like dogs. The party just basicly had the druid cast entangle and it was pretty much over from there. The later action was fun for the party.

Book 2:
The first half of this book is a blast for the party. They petty much liked everything about about it. The troll fight was very hard but they knew they were going to be fighting them before hand. As the svirfneblins tell the party they will be fighting trolls in a week.
The second half of this book becomes a sleeper. Run under 3ed rules by the time you get to the Koa-tu in the city you can almost walk through them. Derro are there just to annoy the party and work as cannon fodder for the illithid. The illithid are deadly under the new edition.

Book 3:
Ok, some of these fights are alittle lopsided either in favor of the party or seriously against the party. The problem I discovered is that most people under 3ed don't fully understand when they are lossing and need to run. Either they walk through a fight or have to flee back with what little health they have. The third book honesty is such a change from the first two that is could be used in just about any world.

I choose to convert the 18th level derro enchanter at the end to a 18th level derro sorceror as it fit far better with the concept of what I had for derro at the time. With time to prepare his throne room he had 12 symbols of death etched into the ceiling. This was after the party failed to asault the city once before.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases