I see you just wanted the first post
    Ken
    Gygax is to Gaming what Kirby was to comics
    Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you
    http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore BrooklynKnight
    Col_Pladoh, where do you think D&D will be 5-10 years from now?
    20?

Hey Gary,

I seem to remember reading that you enjoyed wargaming in the early days before D&D, so I'm curious as to what kind of experience you have with miniatures. How much effort did you and your friends put into miniatures at that time? Did you paint them with great detail or were they simply tokens for you to manipulate? Has that attitude changed? What about now? Do you still enjoy incorporating minis into your campaigns? Is it much harder since monsters have grown so fantastic in scope? How much attention/detail do these minis receive from you?

Lastly, I'm curious if you've seen the new minis line from Wizards. It has displayed a fair degree of success and seems to be pulling in thousands upon thousands of new minis fans by the week. Do you think that's good for the game (D&D)?

Sincerely, Jokamachi

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy Jokamachi,

Quote Originally Posted by jokamachi
    Hey Gary,

I seem to remember reading that you enjoyed wargaming in the early days before D&D, so I'm curious as to what kind of experience you have with miniatures. How much effort did you and your friends put into miniatures at that time? Did you paint them with great detail or were they simply tokens for you to manipulate?
    I played military miniatures for many years--ancients, medieval, ECW, Napoleonics, ACW, Victorian, and WW II to 1956. I personally had 40 mm pre-painted medieval figurines, a small contingent of Turkish 20 mm troops, Brunswick Napoleonic figurines that I painted, and a large number of US WW II men and AFVs, the latter including many conversions I did.

In addition I planned and refereed many games in various periods. Our WW Ii games would sometime last the whole weekend--about 20 hours of playing time.

Finally, i had a sand table that we would spend hours preparing for a game, so that the terrain and buildings, if any, looked great.

The spectacle added considerably to the enjoyment of the actual reason for playing--the exercise of strategic and tactical ability.

Has that attitude changed? What about now? Do you still enjoy incorporating minis into your campaigns? Is it much harder since monsters have grown so fantastic in scope? How much attention/detail do these minis receive from you?

Lastly, I'm curious if you've seen the new minis line from Wizards. It has displayed a fair degree of success and seems to be pulling in thousands upon thousands of new minis fans by the week. Do you think that's good for the game (D&D)?

Sincerely, Jokamachi
    I don't usually employ miniatures in my RPG play. We ceased that when we moved from CHAINMAIL Fantasy to D&D.

I have nothing against the use of miniatures, but they are generally impractical for long and free-wheeling campaign play where the scene and opponents can vary wildly in the course of but an hour.

The GW folks use them a lot, but they are fighting set-piece battles as is usual with miniatures gaming.

I don't believe that fantasy miniatures are good or bad for FRPGs in general. If the GM sets up gaming sessions based on their use, the resulting play is great from my standpoint. It is mainly a matter of having the painted figures and a big tabletop to play on

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Oops!

I forgot to mention that I spent a lot of time painting and converting fantasy figures for the CHAINMAIL Fantasy game.

We also used to play Napoleonic and WW II naval miniatures a fair amount.

Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurQ
    Col_Pladoh, where do you think D&D will be 5-10 years from now?
    20?
    That calls for some powerful crystal ball reading, amigo!

I have no doubt that D&D will be around in 10 years time. How popular it is then is really something that depends on what WotC and Hasbro do between now and then to make it what it will then be.

Right now nothing is being done to bring in new players, and if that isn't rectified, I believe the audience will contract by some few percent each year.

Competition from electroinic games is fierce, now capturing most of the young potential paper RPGers.

Cheers,
    Gary

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore grodog

attn Moderators!

Hey someone with Moderator status----

A moderator was kind enough to place Part IV of this series in the archive meta-forum; would someone please do the same for parts 1-3 as well (you can back-track through the links from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1).

Allan, I've moved them for you. As a note, I also changed the titles of the first two to include the words, "Part I" and "Part II" to make searching easier.

Can't lose these babies to obscurity! That'd be like losing Louis Armstrong's jam tracks!
    Robin Williams (1951-2014)
    You will be missed far more than you ever knew...

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore grodog
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Allan, I've moved them for you. As a note, I also changed the titles of the first two to include the words, "Part I" and "Part II" to make searching easier.

Can't lose these babies to obscurity! That'd be like losing Louis Armstrong's jam tracks!
    Thanks Henry!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast