TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Gary!

I was just reading your post in the "where did trolls come from" thread. I was wondering the same thing about hobgoblins. I plan to use them in an upcoming work, and I was researching them. I've read about Robin Goodfellow, but that made me wonder where the idea of them being militaristic came from (Robin isn't much of a soldier, he's more of a prankster, as I'm sure you know… ho, ho, ho!). :D

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4198/roxbur.html

That's not a dumb question. I've been in vociferous arguments with people who insisted his name is pronounced "Guy-Jax," and even "Jy-Jax." I continue to maintain it is "Guy-gax."

Guess we'll finally find out for sure any minute... (anxiously holding my breath...)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Bloodstone Press said:
Hi Gary!

I was just reading your post in the "where did trolls come from" thread. I was wondering the same thing about hobgoblins. I plan to use them in an upcoming work, and I was researching them. I've read about Robin Goodfellow, but that made me wonder where the idea of them being militaristic came from (Robin isn't much of a soldier, he's more of a prankster, as I'm sure you know… ho, ho, ho!). :D

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4198/roxbur.html

Salut!

After noting your sig, I have to say that as a 12-year-old "John Bloodstone" stories in pulp zines were very thrilling to me....

I took a good deal of literary license in creating monsters for the D&D game. As I needed a humanoid tougher than a goblin but not as powerful as a gnoll, I simply used "hobgoblin",,,even though its name indicated a smaller sort of goblin. In short, only the name was drawn from folklore, and the rest was made up out of whole cloth;)

Cheers,
Gary

P.S. I forgot to say, as to Robin Goodfellow, Puck it! (And, BTW, we had a Joe Goodfellow in my old D&D group, but he wasn't in the least Puckish...)

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
talinthas said:
dumb question time, gary. How do you pronounce your last name?

Heh, and my branch of the family has dumbly Amaricanized it to sound like "Guy-gax." The proper Swiss pronunciation sounds like "GEE-gox." When I am around landsmen I introduce myself as a "GEE-gox." :eek: As a matter of fact, some of the family have changed the spelling to "Gigax" or "Gegax" on hopes of having it pronounced as it is in Switzerland.

Years ago when I was visiting a Swiss community here in Wisconsin, New Glarus, an old fellow asked me my surname. When I told him is was "Gee-gox," he smiled and said, "Ach, a Berner, ja."

My father was indeed born in Seeberg in Canton Bern. i've been to Switzerland twice, but sadly never got to the family's home canton, just to Zurich and Basil.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Bloodstone Press said:
That's not a dumb question. I've been in vociferous arguments with people who insisted his name is pronounced "Guy-Jax," and even "Jy-Jax." I continue to maintain it is "Guy-gax."

Guess we'll finally find out for sure any minute... (anxiously holding my breath...)

LOL!

There's a standing joke amongst my sons and gaming fellows about those who claim, "Jerry Jyjax is a good friend of mine."

Still chuckling,
Gary

RFisher

Explorer
If I misrepresented your opinion, T.Foster, I apologize. In any case, I could probably have phrased things better. Thief skills and open doors--while not wholly unrelated--don't really qualify as ability checks to me.

Thief skills: Look up base chance on a table by level. Look up modifier on a table by ability score.

Open doors/bend bars/lift gates: Look up chance on a table by ability score.

Ability check: Roll ability score or less on 1d20. (Or roll ability score -4 or less on 1d20. Or roll ability score less on 3d6. Or roll ability score or less on 4d6.)

Now, possibly the tables can be replaced by a calculation. And certainly, the table lookup or calculation can be preformed once and kept on the character record.

But ability checks--and now I realize the distinction to be made--are typically used for winging it. You don't have time to develop a table or calculation and--even if you did--you don't want to take time to use it.

Col_Pladoh said:
That I don't believe that one size fits all in regards to ability checks is certainly true. That's why I prefaced my earlier post of approval of the concept as I did. The various checks for thieving abilities and assassination are also examples of how I view the concept.

One thing that has struck me recently: These days there seems to be a strong feeling that RPGs need a "universal mechanic". A common criticism of OAD&D is that it lacked such. Reading OAD&D & classic Traveller these days, however, it seems to me that they did have a universal mechanic--which as a youngster I missed--though it may not be explicit.

For OAD&D I'd say it was: Figure out what you think the odds are and pick a die roll/target number with those odds.

(Look at the dwarf abilities in the PHB. Gary isn't concerned with what dice you roll, although he gives you suggestions. He's merely concerned about communicating the odds.)

Col_Pladoh said:
Early in the developmental stage of OD&D I allowed non-mages to use wands, needing to rolll their Intelligence or less on 3d6 to make the device function. I dropped the concept as being incoingruous with the class-base of the game.

Interesting.

I guess what I really want to know from Gary is: When winging it while DMing, do you use this sort of direct ability check? Do you use it often? Is there any basic mechanic you fall back on, or do you just guesstimate the odds (informed by the character's ability scores, class, level, & situation) and pick a dice roll & target number to match?

How about in the LA system: Do you usually have players roll directly against their abilities or do you figure the odds informed by their abilities?

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
Salut!

After noting your sig, I have to say that as a 12-year-old "John Bloodstone" stories in pulp zines were very thrilling to me....

I took a good deal of literary license in creating monsters for the D&D game. As I needed a humanoid tougher than a goblin but not as powerful as a gnoll, I simply used "hobgoblin",,,even though its name indicated a smaller sort of goblin. In short, only the name was drawn from folklore, and the rest was made up out of whole cloth;)

& incidentally the big orcs in JRRT's The Hobbit are referred to as 'hobgoblins' (what are called Uruk Hai in LOTR), whereas the small orcs are called 'goblins' (LOTR's snagga orcs). Coincidence? :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
Ability check: Roll ability score or less on 1d20. (Or roll ability score -4 or less on 1d20. Or roll ability score less on 3d6. Or roll ability score or less on 4d6.)

That is system specific, and not applicable to all FRPGs.

[snip]
I guess what I really want to know from Gary is: When winging it while DMing, do you use this sort of direct ability check? Do you use it often? Is there any basic mechanic you fall back on, or do you just guesstimate the odds (informed by the character's ability scores, class, level, & situation) and pick a dice roll & target number to match?

I use what seems logical for the situation, more or less as you set forth, and then have the player roll for the PC, or do it in secret of it's something that should not be known.

How about in the LA system: Do you usually have players roll directly against their abilities or do you figure the odds informed by their abilities?

Heh, as it happens, skill-bundles in the LA game are called "Abilities," have a %score for successful use--with various modifiers; so yes, players roll against the applicable Ability score, or perhaps one of their three Base Rating scores. I calculate the modifiers applicable, if any, and pass on the resulting outcome. Usually, though, the player has to make it clear that the character is actually using an Ability for it to function. Normal senses being a partial exception. One might see, hear, or smell something even when not concentrating, so in such cases there is either no bonus for the check or even a penalty.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
S'mon said:
& incidentally the big orcs in JRRT's The Hobbit are referred to as 'hobgoblins' (what are called Uruk Hai in LOTR), whereas the small orcs are called 'goblins' (LOTR's snagga orcs). Coincidence? :D

Ho S'mon:)

I didn't know, or at least don't recall, JRRT using the term "hobgoblin" in his novels.

If he too called larger goblins "hobgoblins," I am quite surprised, as the "hob" prefix in folklore indicates a smaller version of something.

As I stated, I needed a name for a mumanoid larger than a goblin, that race having been detailed already, so I bit the bullet and used the namefor a smaller version of a goblin for a larger humanoid race in AD&D. If tolkien did the same for whatever reasons he had, then it is coincidence.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases