TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Golem Joe said:
Oh yeah, like current fans are going to pass on hardcover versions of the books. I'm with Cimerians. 2005 can't get here fast enough. Now if I could just finish that cryogenic chamber... ;)

Evening Golem Joe:)

Likely not, as having three hardbacks to replace five softcover books is a good thing. However, nobody will feel pressured to do so, and can picj up the hardbound volumes at their convenience, even wait until the paperback books start to fall apart. the latter are very sturdy, and my three-year-old copy is still in good shape despite frequent use,m some pretty hard on the spine;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
Perhaps it's time to start a part V Q&A thread, as this one seems to be getting rather large?

Yipe!

Eleven pages of this Q&A is indeed quite lengthy. If there's to be more posed for my response I should think it a fine idea to begin Part V of this thread... :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

jokamachi

Explorer
Hey Gary,

I seem to remember reading that you enjoyed wargaming in the early days before D&D, so I'm curious as to what kind of experience you have with miniatures. How much effort did you and your friends put into miniatures at that time? Did you paint them with great detail or were they simply tokens for you to manipulate? Has that attitude changed? What about now? Do you still enjoy incorporating minis into your campaigns? Is it much harder since monsters have grown so fantastic in scope? How much attention/detail do these minis receive from you?

Lastly, I'm curious if you've seen the new minis line from Wizards. It has displayed a fair degree of success and seems to be pulling in thousands upon thousands of new minis fans by the week. Do you think that's good for the game (D&D)?

Sincerely, Jokamachi

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ArthurQ said:
Col_Pladoh, where do you think D&D will be 5-10 years from now?
20?

That calls for some powerful crystal ball reading, amigo!

I have no doubt that D&D will be around in 10 years time. How popular it is then is really something that depends on what WotC and Hasbro do between now and then to make it what it will then be.

Right now nothing is being done to bring in new players, and if that isn't rectified, I believe the audience will contract by some few percent each year.

Competition from electroinic games is fierce, now capturing most of the young potential paper RPGers.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases