Closed Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirth
    I for one would LOVE to see this, Gary. Any possibility of contacting Skip and tweaking this enough to release under d20 or OGL? (That assumes that the material is still around and both of you are even interested, of course )

Jay
    Well, Jay...

The notes are still in a file somewhere in the basement here, anbd they can be found, wife Gail assures me. However, in regards to Skip, he seems uninclined to go forward. I proposed we do that back around 1996, and at that time he declined. Since then I've heard nothing from him. Of course I could go ahead and develop the material on my own, but there is a co-mingling of ideas, so Skip would have a half interest in it. As I have plenty of other work, I'm not about to do all the design and share payments with him without his equal input

Cheers,
    Gary

A while ago, you tried to convince wizards to release the OAD&D material alondside the new stuff. Kind of like a collectors edition. Since wizards had new managment now, did you ever try to pitch the idea again.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mistere29
    A while ago, you tried to convince wizards to release the OAD&D material alondside the new stuff. Kind of like a collectors edition. Since wizards had new managment now, did you ever try to pitch the idea again.
    Wizards has licensed out the OAD&D system to Kenzer, so they won't be publishing anything using it. Even if they did, though, the same problem of co-mingling of ideas exists.

If Skip were to contact me now and say he wanted to go forward, my writing schedule is filled for the next two or so years.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Monday, 26th January, 2004 at 05:23 PM.

Writing TimeWatch!
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Piratecat
    My communities:

Interesting. Not to go off on a tangent, but to what extent do you find that rules drive an adventure design? I'm curious what sort of challenges you're facing as you match up creative thinking with mandated rules.
    - Piratecat, EN World Admin. Now writing TimeWatch, an investigative time travel game.

Greyhawk PC Wizards

Gary,

I know that Bigby the Mage started out as an apprentice to Mordenkainen (after, I have heard, being captured by Mordy!). I was wondering, were there ever any other PC mages that had dealing either with their former masters or who acquired any apprentices of their own and did these interactions ever have repercussions in your campaign? I'd be interested to know if Tenser, Otto or Drawmij (aka Bombadil) ever undertook any quests for their former mentors, or sent their apprentices on any such quests.

Thanks! (And I cannot wait for Zagyg's Castle, btw!),

Gray Mouser

(Frustrated Mage but adept thief and swordsman :-)

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat
    Interesting. Not to go off on a tangent, but to what extent do you find that rules drive an adventure design? I'm curious what sort of challenges you're facing as you match up creative thinking with mandated rules.
    Howdy Piratecat

The rules determine what can and can not be done, how things operate when an the characters interact with the environment. Thus while some rules are necessary to give form to the material being written, the fewer the better as far as I am concerned. Having few rules means more creative freedom, the ability to be inventive in devising new and interesting places, persons, creatures, and things. It's a matter of being free to think and design outside the box, if you will. Where rules are extensive, creating new material for an adventure becomes more burdensome too, of course.

This is why I have come to regard less as more, and prefer a rules-light system

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Gary,

I know that Bigby the Mage started out as an apprentice to Mordenkainen (after, I have heard, being captured by Mordy!). I was wondering, were there ever any other PC mages that had dealing either with their former masters or who acquired any apprentices of their own and did these interactions ever have repercussions in your campaign? I'd be interested to know if Tenser, Otto or Drawmij (aka Bombadil) ever undertook any quests for their former mentors, or sent their apprentices on any such quests.

Thanks! (And I cannot wait for Zagyg's Castle, btw!),

Gray Mouser

(Frustrated Mage but adept thief and swordsman :-)
    Hi Mauser,

To the best of my recollection, Mordenkainen was the only PC that made a habit of capturing and enlisting NPCs in my campaign. Tenser, Otto, et al. were PCs created by their respective players. I must say that Mordie was most assiduous in his fair treatment of Bigby, supplying him with much in the way of magical rewards, treating him as an equal, and sharing fairly with him, thus winning his loyalty--helped by Mordenkainen's high Charisma score certainly.

As an aside, when Jim Ward was playing his elf PC, that worthy read a curse scroll, and as luck would have it the destination for his transferrence was the Starship Warden. The Vigilists discovered the "mutant" newcomer, enlisted him in their ranks, and requisitioned his Fireball Wand. that device became the most potent weapon in the group's arsenal. Meantime, the elf gardened, raising herbs, sought means to return tohis own universe. Jim was not happy at all, but the rest of us playing in his MA campaign were most pleased.

Gary

Writing TimeWatch!
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Piratecat
    My communities:

Heh - I think Jim mentioned this in a recent editorial he wrote. He's still pissed.
    - Piratecat, EN World Admin. Now writing TimeWatch, an investigative time travel game.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Noskov
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Hi Mauser,

...helped by Mordenkainen's high Charisma score certainly.

Gary
    First, I must say that I am truly honored.

This brings a question to mind that I've been dealing with lately.

What was the original intention of Charisma and how was it meant to be implemented in a campaign? My experience of playing has been that almost no DM uses Charisma. Most often, it's where the lowest score goes when players are creating their PCs (unless it is an requirement of their chosen class). The way my DM structured his game was to have a broad idea in mind and the rest was just based off of what the characters did and basically played on the fly. My campaigns were always the same. Only lately have I begun to actuallly plan out things before hand....Only because plots and storylines are now built around the characters and thier personalities to encourage more roll playing and make the players more interested in their characters and thier characters futures. It seems that when playing on the fly, Charisma becomes almost worthless. You have said that you prefer the more open types of campaigns (I think) similar to what I am accustomed to playing. When you play those types of campaigns, how do you use Charisma?

Thanks

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore RFisher
    My communities:

Gary,

Let me add one more voice to the chorus thanking you for your seminal work upon which so much of our hobby is built. After managing to work my way through all five parts of this Q&A, I still managed to think of a question or two I didn't see answered.

(1) Regarding OAD&D (or, I suppose, OD&D + the Greyhawk supplement, though I never played that): Why exceptional strength? Aren't 18s uncommon enough? Why did Fighters need to subdivide the prime requisite thus, but other classes didn't? Why not continue to scores 19+ instead of subdividing 18?

(2) Any idea what Tom Moldvay is doing these days?

(3) I currently count myself among those who favor the Basic Set edited by Moldvay and the Expert Set edited by Cook (both released in 1981) over most other editions of D&D. Any recollections/opinions you may have about the development of those sets would be welcome.

I look forward to getting my group to try out the Lejendary Adventures Quickstart when the next chance between campaigns occurs. It looks like good fun. (Though, I think I differ with you decision to eschew standard RPG jargon. Having played & read numerous systems besides D&D, I personally find it more of an obstacle to comprehension than an aid to break from a D&D mindset.)

TIA

• Closed Thread
    Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast