Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V - Page 15

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    d20Dwarf,

It is good to learn that there is at least one other person who isn't superstitious about his dice being touched by others, particularly players from the group.

That said, I would be none too happy if my favorite ones were absconded with. I hate it when the opposition I am represenring can't find the pointy ends of their swords, or use their natural weapons to effect. No challenge to the characters at all when that happens...and it does happen!

Cheers,
    Gary

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

° Ignore grodog
    "Tenser and the Giant's Bag,"
    Hmmm, I'm not familiar with this story Gary. Do you recall where/when it appeared?

Also, Rob does own the copyright on the Oerth Journal accounts, although IIRC one of them has some comments from Dave Arneson that are his copyright as well. I'd be more than happy to forward you copies of them, if you'd like to consider them for possible additions to the collection.

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog
    Hmmm, I'm not familiar with this story Gary. Do you recall where/when it appeared?
    Howdy Allen

No way i recall the dates or vehicles, but I wrote the account a couple of times. It was about an incident when Rob was DMing for Ernie who was on a solo adventure with Tenser, I was there working, but I gave Rob high signs and thus was playing the hill giant that Tenser met and conversed with. When we get to compiling the column material I'll do another account of the tale, and whatever new material i can recall.

Also, Rob does own the copyright on the Oerth Journal accounts, although IIRC one of them has some comments from Dave Arneson that are his copyright as well. I'd be more than happy to forward you copies of them, if you'd like to consider them for possible additions to the collection.
    Thanks for the information. Better the copies go to Rob than to me at this point. We have no written agreement yet. Rob can review the accounts and see about getting written permissio for use of Dave's quotes or edit the material as he deems best

Cheers,
    Gary

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

° Ignore Silver Moon
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    ...There was the pyramid d4 (yellow), the usual d6 with Arabic numerals (pine, later orange), a d8 (green), d 12 (light blue), and d20 (white) numbered 0-9 twice on its faces. All were made of soft plastic and the numbers were badly stamped, but what treasures!
    Treasures indeed! A week ago I had been doing some cleaning in our gaming room and accidentally misplaced the mug-full-of-dice that we put out on the table for everyone to game with. This brought things to a standstill at the beginning of the game until I remembered that there might be some in the back of a drawer inside the figure case. Wouldn't you know, it was the old chipped-up soft plastic bunch listed above that we had started out with. So some 23 years after we were first rolled them we were using them again!

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Moon
    Treasures indeed! A week ago I had been doing some cleaning in our gaming room and accidentally misplaced the mug-full-of-dice that we put out on the table for everyone to game with. This brought things to a standstill at the beginning of the game until I remembered that there might be some in the back of a drawer inside the figure case. Wouldn't you know, it was the old chipped-up soft plastic bunch listed above that we had started out with. So some 23 years after we were first rolled them we were using them again!
    There's much to be said for results, and those old low-impact dice do generate random numbers Not much to look at but they deliver.

Of course I do prefer a d20 numbered 1-20, and in all the contemporary high-impact plastic dice are a boon, I have an odd mix of old and new, but my d30s and d7s get a fair workout in most game sessions,

Cheers,
    Gary

here's another question for ya, Gary. Could you explain the concept behind Chromatic and Metallic Dragons?
    i mean, the evil dudes make sense, what with breath weapons that more or less match their color, but how did you decide on the five metallics, and why give them two BWs? and why brass, which is just an alloy of bronze and copper, instead of some other naturally occuring metal?
    The Herald of Krynn
    Iconic Fanboy, Dragonlance Style

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by talinthas
    here's another question for ya, Gary. Could you explain the concept behind Chromatic and Metallic Dragons?
    i mean, the evil dudes make sense, what with breath weapons that more or less match their color, but how did you decide on the five metallics, and why give them two BWs? and why brass, which is just an alloy of bronze and copper, instead of some other naturally occuring metal?
    Originally there were the five "chromatic" and evil dragons, each with a color that suited their breath weapon, and a sixth good dragon patterened on the Oriental model of that imaginary creature. As it was bpth or different origination and alignment I desiced to empower the gold dragon so as to more closely resemble the potent Oriental sort. So it got more of everything, including two breath weapons.

There came a time thereafter when more 'metallic" dragons were desirable so as to expand the roster of good, Oriental-type ones. Thus all of them were modeled on the gold dragon template, had two breath weapons.

Logically, with metal value being used as the basis for potency, platunum (Bahamut) being the highest, then gold and silver, the sequence should have been platinum-gold-electrum-silver-copper-bronze. However, I thought bronze looked more potent than copper, and skipped then to brass--that metal conmveying some not-so-benign connotations.

Somehow having good Oriental-model dragons relate to metals such as irridium, tin, and zinc, lead, or iron for that matter, just didn't cut it

Cheers,
    Gary

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Ed Cha
    Also, "brass dragon" just sounds better than "tin dragon".

Although that could be a good name for a fairy dragon-type creature. I could also see "iron dragon" as a sort of dragon golem.
    Last edited by Ed Cha; Saturday, 31st January, 2004 at 05:24 PM.
    Co-Founder and Former Chairman, Indie Press Revolution
    "Most Influential" RPG Company of 2006
    http://www.indiepressrevolution.com

CEO, Open World Press
    Publisher of the ENnie-nominated World of Whitethorn series
    http://www.openworldpress.com

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cha
    Also, "brass dragon" just sounds better than "tin dragon".

Although that could be a good name for a fairy dragon-type creature. I could also see "iron dragon" as a sort of dragon golem.
    Ciao Ed,

Speaking of incredible monsters, such as an iron dragon golem would likely be, I have heard from wild-eyes players about some absolutely off-the-wall monsters that include the diamond dragon, the steel toad, and the arch-lamassu. Perhaps I'll include their stats, as I recall them from hearing the account, in the compiled essays book of old D&D game adventure yards that Rob Kuntz and I plan to have published after we have run out of new stories to tell. Likely a slender book titled Tales from Zagyg's Dungeon or sime such.

We were planning to add some additional yarns, material published elsewhere and some new accounts as well. Those incredible monsters would suit the oberall humerous tone of the compilation.

Too bad I've lost my copy of the article in which I wrote up "The Ultimist" character class as an April Fools Day joke, or I'd put that into the collection for sure. If any reader happens to have a copy of that spoof, please sent it to me at: ggygax@genevaonline.com The really funny par is that not a few young power gamers thought it was serious and wanted more details so they could create and play an Ultimist character

Gary

heh. i'm betting that you can make some nice boots out of that steel toad =)
    The Herald of Krynn
    Iconic Fanboy, Dragonlance Style

• Closed Thread
    Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast