Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V - Page 8

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Gary, i read in an old interview

"by creating the village of Hommlet and the temple [sic] of Elemental Evil to test some ideas I had about random dungeons, and outdoor terrain so forth."

Could you eleaborate a bit on this. Was the pre-Metzner draft largely designed by the random tables in the dmg?

archive

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Allan, I've moved them for you. As a note, I also changed the titles of the first two to include the words, "Part I" and "Part II" to make searching easier.

Can't lose these babies to obscurity! That'd be like losing Louis Armstrong's jam tracks!
    Anybody can give us a quick link to the archives?

(My search here doesn't work)

thanks

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by cimerians
    Anybody can give us a quick link to the archives?

(My search here doesn't work)

thanks
    The archive for Part IV is at http://www.enworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52 and I thought I through III were there too, but I don't see them. (Henry, are we looking in the wrong place??).

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    My communities:

Gary, another question from TSR's early days for you.

In the original, separate editions of the Dungeon Geomorphs and the Outdoor Geomorphs--Walled City, you provided some wonderful examples of dungeon- and city-based encounters (tricks, traps, monsters, city businesses and NPCs, etc.). These were all later dropped from the collected edition of the Dungeon Geomorphs (product 9048, with the red kid-in-the-candystore cover illustration as he populates his dungeon), and the Outdoor Geomorphs were never collected/reprinted (possibly because of low sales/interest?).

Was the material you included in the original geomorphs all drawn from the Greyhawk campaign? The Walled City mentions the Lake of Unknown Depths, so that seems a sure fit, but what about the dungeon geomorph encounters? Also, do you know why your original material from the separate geomorph sets was not included with the reprint?

Thanks again, as always

L

Hello Mr. Gygax,

I would just like to get your opinion on the "L" series of 1st edition modules. I really enjoy them, even the lost L3. Did you play in these campaigns?

Also, have you heard anything on the revamping and resurrection of L4 and L5?

Thank you,

gk

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mistere29
    What's up with www.egarygygax.com. You got the new domain name but no content was ever moved to the site?
    When the old URL was lost to pirates we set up the new one, www.egarygygax.com but...

I am so busy I haven't the time to devote to the new website, and so it has languished. There is a willing webmaster, but there's no chance I can spend much time and effort on the project, so it is in limbo awaiting something of a response from me. I guess I'd better see about getting something simple up and maybe a blogging section...

Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Elton
    Gary,

I would like to know something. Rewinding back to 1986 as well (when I was 12 and I got the basic set), I noticed that you could explore gothic horror themes with the selection of monsters in D&D. In other words, some of the monsters are clearly associated with horror (Golems, vampires, zombies, ghouls, lycanthropes like the Loupe Garou). So it is possible to play D&D with a high horror bent. Did you think about this when you put D&D together?
    Indeed I did, Sir Elton. As a longtoime fan of HPL and the horror genre, I included it in the broad basis for play. This was picked up well by another designer in the Ravenloft modules, too

As a DM I did only one pure horror adventure, one where the PCs were young Boy Scouts who were lost, came upon a deserted mansion out in the country. The players had a great time, and Jim Ward then asked my permission to use the general theme for The Mansion of the Mad Dr. Ludlow, that being given gladly.

I'd have done more, but there were so many things to deal with that I vener got the chance. That's why the original genre for the Dangerous Journeys RPG system was horror, Unhallowed.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mistere29
    Gary, i read in an old interview

"by creating the village of Hommlet and the temple [sic] of Elemental Evil to test some ideas I had about random dungeons, and outdoor terrain so forth."

Could you eleaborate a bit on this. Was the pre-Metzner draft largely designed by the random tables in the dmg?
    Howdy!

The village and main temple areas were carefully mapped before I began adventure sessions in the area. The random generation was used mainly in developing the land around the village and some of the side areas surrounding the main rooms I had done for the temple dungeons.

As a side note, the random tables worked quite well, but they took too long. I found that it was easier and quicker for me to just bash ahead as usual and put in whatever I liked at the moment.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog
    Gary, another question from TSR's early days for you.

In the original, separate editions of the Dungeon Geomorphs and the Outdoor Geomorphs--Walled City, you provided some wonderful examples of dungeon- and city-based encounters (tricks, traps, monsters, city businesses and NPCs, etc.). These were all later dropped from the collected edition of the Dungeon Geomorphs (product 9048, with the red kid-in-the-candystore cover illustration as he populates his dungeon), and the Outdoor Geomorphs were never collected/reprinted (possibly because of low sales/interest?).

Was the material you included in the original geomorphs all drawn from the Greyhawk campaign? The Walled City mentions the Lake of Unknown Depths, so that seems a sure fit, but what about the dungeon geomorph encounters? Also, do you know why your original material from the separate geomorph sets was not included with the reprint?

Thanks again, as always
    When it was apparent to me that the players would appreciate some assistance in design, the geomorphs, I simply sat down and drew (and wrote) up the material. I used some familiar names, but none of the material I did was taken from anything other than my imagination at the time.

The decision to include what was in the reprint was not in my perview, so I can't say why Brian or Kevin did as they did. As I recall, I wasn't receiving any royalties for the geomorphs, so I don't remember sales figures, but at least initially all the sets did quite well. shops wanted higher price points and fewer SKUs, though. and thus the form of the reprinted material.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonknox
    Hello Mr. Gygax,

I would just like to get your opinion on the "L" series of 1st edition modules. I really enjoy them, even the lost L3. Did you play in these campaigns?

Also, have you heard anything on the revamping and resurrection of L4 and L5?

Thank you,

gk
    Feel free to address me as Gary if you like.

That said, I am not able to give you a cogent response, as I never DMed the L series, played a PC in only one or two of them.

As you might expect, my main DMing efforts were always centered around the World of Greyhawk and the various dungeon areas set by me therein so as to both serve my group and keep on supplying module material. Writing adventure modules has always been a demanding task to me, unlike winging like material for active players, putting it on paper is a chore. Coming up with new and different things, not having one module like any of the others (I hope) means a lot of extra time and effort.

Cheers,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast