Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V - Page 9

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Hello Gary!

How is HALL OF MANY PANES coming along? When can we expect to walk into our local game store and be blown away by seeing this grand-daddy of all adventures on the shelf?

I can't think of a better time to start a Lejendary Adventure campaign!

BTW, how closely is HALL OF MANY PANES going to be tied into the Lejendary Earth? Will it be easy to use in a homemade campaign setting?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    Hello Gary!

How is HALL OF MANY PANES coming along? When can we expect to walk into our local game store and be blown away by seeing this grand-daddy of all adventures on the shelf?

I can't think of a better time to start a Lejendary Adventure campaign!

BTW, how closely is HALL OF MANY PANES going to be tied into the Lejendary Earth? Will it be easy to use in a homemade campaign setting?
    Geoffrey, funny you should ask that just now. I have the 500+ page final manuscript for the Hall of Many Panes even now, and am about 150 pp. into its final check and minor edit. I'll be turning it back to the Trolls in a few weeks, and meantime they are lining up the interior art, the cover being set.

I am told the product will be launched at Origins (or if it slips possibly GenCon).

The module begins on virtually any world, but it subsumes the pantheons active on the Lejendary Earth world--mainly the Celtic, but also the Egyptian. Otherwise, most of the actual play activity takes place in an off-world location, so placement isn't a problem.

Cheers,
    Gary

I'm sorry to bring back up a question I've already asked, but i'm still a little curious. You answered WHY you put gnomes into the game, but I'm just wondering WHERE you got them. I know there are gnomes all throughout mythology, but each description varies from culture to culture. Did you take the gnome from one particular culture or combine traits from each culture? Why do you think gnomes would have appealed to gamers (when you introduced them, since there are already to "short" races: dwarves and halflings)

another question: you answered in my previous question that dwarves and elves came from myth and folklore. Again, each description varies by culture. Which did you draw from? I'm assuming Norse, but I'm not quite sure.

Thank you Gary!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by redwing00
    I'm sorry to bring back up a question I've already asked, but i'm still a little curious. You answered WHY you put gnomes into the game, but I'm just wondering WHERE you got them. I know there are gnomes all throughout mythology, but each description varies from culture to culture. Did you take the gnome from one particular culture or combine traits from each culture? Why do you think gnomes would have appealed to gamers (when you introduced them, since there are already to "short" races: dwarves and halflings)

another question: you answered in my previous question that dwarves and elves came from myth and folklore. Again, each description varies by culture. Which did you draw from? I'm assuming Norse, but I'm not quite sure.

Thank you Gary!
    Happy to respond, Redwing00

Gnomes in myth were created as one of the four elementals, that of earth. I took what I recalled from fairy tales and folklore about mine spirits to create a unique race for the D&D game. Yes, there were already halflings and dwarves, but i made the gnomes sufficiently different so as to allow another choice for character race. I have used it in a PC, he being a gnome illusionist-thief.

Inspiration for the D&D dwarves came from the Norse mythology, legends, and fairy tales. Elves came mainly from folklore and fairy tales.

I have read all the Andrew Lang (various colors in the titles) save the Yellow Book of Fairy Tales, Andersen, and Brothers Grimm fairy tales as well as many a book on folklore and legends.

Halflings were mainly drawn from JRRT's fiction, of course.

Cheers,
    Gary

hey gary, i've always wanted to know this- Why did you release the 1st edition AD&D monster manual before the other two books?
    The Herald of Krynn
    Iconic Fanboy, Dragonlance Style

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    Thanks for the replies on the geomorphs, Gary.

FYI, some folks are talking about Fritz Leiber and his rumored involvement with ghost-writing D&D rules and running D&D games over at http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75019

IIRC, Fritz and Harry designed the 1975 TSR Lankhmar boardgame, but I've never heard that either played D&D or helped to write the rules....

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    double-post
    Last edited by grodog; Sunday, 25th January, 2004 at 06:22 AM.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Manzanita
    I think it's great that your sons Ernie and Luke became active in the games you created. I'm curious if your daughters ever played. If not, I wonder if you have any thoughts on that.

By the way, Grodog, when are you going to update your CY175 campaign log on your website?

Thanks
    Grant

Hello Gary,
    Please excuse me if this question has been asked before.

I was wondering about your apperance on the Futurerama television show. I was very excited to see your likeness on this exellent comedy. I guess I was wondering about whether or not you had a chance to meet any of your co stars during the recording. Al Gore Mr Hawkings etc.

A few days ago I belive I read somewhere that Dnd spawned a billion dollar buisness (the Rpg industry in the past 25 years?). We owe alot to you Mr. Gygax. I live and breathe the fantasy of imagination's. I belive it all started with my first set of dnd books. Thank you very much.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by talinthas
    hey gary, i've always wanted to know this- Why did you release the 1st edition AD&D monster manual before the other two books?
    I decided to create the MM as the initial part of the new AD&D system because it would be usable by all the D&D players, and the entry information in the book would whet appetites for the new rules. It was also the easiest one to put together, since I had been doing penciled-in new system stat sheets for all the old monsters, as well as writing up a lot of new ones. I had a box in my office, and I'd toss the rough stat sheets into it each day. Mike Carr would collect them and type them up--or have someone else do it, so in no time at all there was sufficient material for the MM even as I was developing the whole of the material for the system, beginning on the PHB.

Cheers,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast