i need a good 3.0 character generator or a equipment generator that doesn't use java.

kirinke

First Post
i need a good 3.0 character generator or a equipment generator that doesn't use java. i don't have any tolerance for coffee and neither does my computer. lol
seriously, my compy doesn't have the capabilities to read the java language or something and i have a windows based operating system.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Do you know what the specifics are on the hardware in your PC, by the way?

If your computer cannot run Sun's Java version 1.3 or higher, then chances are it will also be unable to run any C++ based software currently available, either, because the java code base is some pretty light-requirement software.

Some other choices besides PCGen include:

Roleplaying Master

DM Familiar

Twin Rose Campaign Suite

Codemonkey Publishing's E-Tools

All of the above are not free, and require a fee of $15 to $30.00 to purchase (depending on product). All of them have a certain level of hardware requirement, and once you know what speed processor, Memory, and Hard Drive space you have available, you should have a clearer picture of what you can and cannot run.

Hollywood

First Post
kirinke said:
i need a good 3.0 character generator or a equipment generator that doesn't use java. i don't have any tolerance for coffee and neither does my computer. lol
seriously, my compy doesn't have the capabilities to read the java language or something and i have a windows based operating system.

Henry, I really hate to disagree with a moderator, but if you are running an older version of Windows [say 95] on a older PC, Java is definetly not the answer especially with 1.3+. The performance is not very good, and in actuality the virtual machine really isn't that optimized. Applications written in C/C++ should perform much better as they are compiled directly in machine code rather than going through a virtual machine like Java. Not as big of deal on current hardware, but definetly a bigger deal on old hardware or old hardware running current OSes.

That being said, I think the following, as you pointed out, all should work better than PCGen... however.

Roleplaying Master [written in Delphi actually...]

DM Familiar [C?] - I didn't think it had a character generator though?

Twin Rose Campaign Suite - [C or C++]

Codemonkey Publishing's E-Tools - I wouldn't recommend this to even my worst enemy. Although if you want it for the Access database to be able to rip electronic content out... its not a bad buy.

kingpaul

First Post
Hollywood said:
Codemonkey Publishing's E-Tools - I wouldn't recommend this to even my worst enemy. Although if you want it for the Access database to be able to rip electronic content out... its not a bad buy.
Is that taking into account the latest patches that CMP has applied to Fluid's original program? If so, why do you still no like it?

smetzger

Explorer
Hollywood said:
Roleplaying Master [written in Delphi actually...]

Well actually its written iusing Borland C++ Builder and the scripting language he uses is Javascript I believe. But it does use components written in Delphi.

Hollywood said:
DM Familiar [C?] - I didn't think it had a character generator though?

I am not sure. Its either Borland C++ Builder, Delphi, or VB. Anyone?

Hollywood said:
Twin Rose Campaign Suite - [C or C++]

Early version were made using Borland C++ (OWL framework); I believe they are now using Borland C++ Builder.

Hollywood said:

Microsoft Visual C++

herald

First Post
kingpaul said:
Is that taking into account the latest patches that CMP has applied to Fluid's original program? If so, why do you still no like it?

I would agree with paul. eTools has come a long way.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hi, Hollywood! Feel free to disagree all you like - it's what makes the boards go 'round. :)

Hollywood said:
Applications written in C/C++ should perform much better as they are compiled directly in machine code rather than going through a virtual machine like Java. Not as big of deal on current hardware, but definetly a bigger deal on old hardware or old hardware running current OSes.

Hence my question about kirinke's system specs - to know more about what he/she has is to get a better solution to the problem.

kirinke

First Post
what i really need

what i really need is something along the lines of what's at this site, only for 3.0

"http://slicer69.tripod.com/dnd/dnd.htm"

it's a pretty good 3.5 character generator (a few errors, but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of good feedback). Oh, and like the generator at this site, something that doesn't need to be downloaded and is free-ware.

Luke

Explorer
You're interested in:
- A (3.0) character generator
- Equipment generation
- Something that will work on WIndows95.

RolePlayingMaster should be fine for that.

If you wait a couple of days to try out the latest version, I'm about to release an update that adds a new "User Options" system.
The relevance of that is that you can set up equipment generation (and anything else) as a user preference, so that even using the integrated Jamis Buck NPC generator (for example) will automatically add random equipment.

By the by, the equipment generation (and feats, spell lists etc) are all intelligently generated according to configurable tables based on race and classes. This means that it all works intelligently whether you choose to generate in 3.0, 3.5, fantasy, or sci-fi.
Tables are very easily copied, edited or created.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases