Anyone got a decent build for a knife-throwing character?

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I recently had a chance to play a halfing Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Master Thrower 3/Invisible Blade 3 in a one-shot game. Between improved feint, sneaky shot, and a good old-fashioned ring of blinking, I could pretty much guarantee a +4d6 sneak attack any time I wanted one. I also took the deadeye shot trick from the master thrower class and the improved crit feat, so my daggers had a crit range of 17-20/x3. Combined with the swashbuckler's int bonus to damage, I had pretty impressive damage totals.

I think if I were starting the character from the beginning, I'd probably do it as either a Rogue 5/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 2/Master Thrower 5/Invisible Blade 5 or a Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 4/Master Thrower 5/Invisible Blade 5, depending on how important I thought weapon specialization was. Honestly though, I think the sneak attack and skill points are more crucial to this build than weapon specialization, so I'd probably choose the first build.

Ripper-nk

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:
I recently had a chance to play a halfing Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Master Thrower 3/Invisible Blade 3 in a one-shot game. Between improved feint, sneaky shot, and a good old-fashioned ring of blinking, I could pretty much guarantee a +4d6 sneak attack any time I wanted one. I also took the deadeye shot trick from the master thrower class and the improved crit feat, so my daggers had a crit range of 17-20/x3. Combined with the swashbuckler's int bonus to damage, I had pretty impressive damage totals.

I think if I were starting the character from the beginning, I'd probably do it as either a Rogue 5/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 2/Master Thrower 5/Invisible Blade 5 or a Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 4/Master Thrower 5/Invisible Blade 5, depending on how important I thought weapon specialization was. Honestly though, I think the sneak attack and skill points are more crucial to this build than weapon specialization, so I'd probably choose the first build.

I really prefer the ninja, the master thrower loose the sneak attack.

"Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Master Thrower 3/Invisible Blade 3"

3 invisible blade? And de Feint free action? :cool:

"Rogue 5/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 2/Master Thrower 5/Invisible Blade 5"

5 Roge level loose 2 in BAB, for me don't looks nice.

"Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 4/Master Thrower 5/Invisible Blade 5"

Thas a good way without use non Wizard material, but I trade one level of Master Thrower for more one rogue.

And answer the question of feint, he works in ranged attacks yes!
And about Insightfull Strike (swashbuckler), works ranged too!

Eltern

First Post
Well, I guess a question is if a Spot vs Sleight of Hand is better to insure sneak attacks than a Bluff vs Sense Motive.

I would personally rather not dump all the feats to make feint effective...

Eltern

P.S. What about shurikens?

peliaos

First Post
Probably way too late with this, and really, it's not really a part of the build, but I'd say you'd have to have a "gauntlet of infinite blades" or two if you're going to be throwing your weapons around.

GAUNTLET OF INFINITE BLADES
Price (Item Level): 6,500 gp (10th)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 12th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) conjuration,
divination
Activation: Swift (mental)
Weight: 1 lb.
This gauntlet is made of braided mithral
links.
A gauntlet of infinite blades allows you to produce a weapon at a moment’s notice. When it is activated, a dagger appears in the hand wearing the gauntlet. This ability functions as often as needed, though
the dagger disappears 3 rounds after it is created.
In addition, the gauntlet has 5 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges creates a more potent dagger than normal, as described below.
1 charge: +3 dagger.
3 charges: +3 dagger of seeking.
5 charges: +3 bane dagger of seeking (choose
the creature type and subtype, if needed,
when activating the gauntlet).

Still a good idea to have non-magic knifes on hand in case of anti-magic field.

Kithas

First Post
Probably way too late with this, and really, it's not really a part of the build, but I'd say you'd have to have a "gauntlet of infinite blades" or two if you're going to be throwing your weapons around.

GAUNTLET OF INFINITE BLADES
Price (Item Level): 6,500 gp (10th)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 12th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) conjuration,
divination
Activation: Swift (mental)
Weight: 1 lb.
This gauntlet is made of braided mithral
links.
A gauntlet of infinite blades allows you to produce a weapon at a moment’s notice. When it is activated, a dagger appears in the hand wearing the gauntlet. This ability functions as often as needed, though
the dagger disappears 3 rounds after it is created.
In addition, the gauntlet has 5 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges creates a more potent dagger than normal, as described below.
1 charge: +3 dagger.
3 charges: +3 dagger of seeking.
5 charges: +3 bane dagger of seeking (choose
the creature type and subtype, if needed,
when activating the gauntlet).

Still a good idea to have non-magic knifes on hand in case of anti-magic field.
Y'know, I dont think Ive ever seen a 13 YEAR necro post before. I'm really not sure vhether to be concerned or impressed. You're definitely too late. Seriously this is more than half my lifetime o.o

Remove ads