Anyone got a decent build for a knife-throwing character?

Dunjin

First Post
I'm thinking about building a knife-throwing character based on speed and agility. My problem is that there are tons of things I'd like the character to do, but not enough feat slots to cover it.

Feats I see as essential:
Quick Draw
Point-Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Weapon Finesse (Dagger)
Dodge
Mobility
Weapon Focus (Dagger)
Rapid Shot
Improved Initiative

The perfect build would seem to be some combination of fighter and monk, but you can't really combine monk without taking all those monk levels first. I was thinking rogue levels because of the sneak attack, Evasion, and skills like Escape Artist, Tumble, and Sleight of Hand.

I'm toying with builds, but I'm curious to see if anyone has one that has worked or they think might work. I know about the Master of Throwing or whatever, from Complete Warrior, and clearly that class is a target, but I don't have that here with me.

Halflings are always interesting throwers. +1 because or race, +1 because of size, +1 because of dex bonus, etc.

Fighter/rogue can be a good build, IMO, but you'll absolutely need far shot, because those range penalties add up fast...

AR

Liquidsabre

Explorer
The Master Thrower PrC is pretty good but doesn't provide a viable thrower at early levels, if you went that route you wouldn't have the quick draw feat until 6th or 7th level. I'd go with either the fighter-thrower or the Swashbuckler-thrower. Wouldn't recommend a monk necessarily, though a rouge-fighter might work (still alot of levels there).

Master Thrower requires 4 sleight of hand ranks, weapon focus (thrown wpn), PBShot, Precise Shot.

I'd probably prefer the Fighter 5/Master Thrower Route as any other way could take you 2-3 levels longer. But the Swashbuckler 5/Master thrower route works better as you would not only get the BAB progression you need but more class skills, weapon finesse, and insightful strike (add Int bonus to damage in addition to str damage for light weapons).

The rogue route is a bit redundant with the evasion twice, would that give improved evasion then?? Hmm, dunno.

edit- I'd post two different 15-level (by level) thrower builds but not sure if that'd be okay, posting published material like that.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Don't overlook the ranger possibilities. Those ranger favired enemy bonuses can add up in 3.5 if you have a good idea what type of creatures that you will be facing.

Dunjin

First Post
I thought about Ranger, but I think I could do better with Fighter and picking the Feats I want. Favored Enemy isn't something I'd see this character having. I'm picturing more of an acrobatic rogue-ish type with unerring ability with thrown weapons.

The problem is that it's hard to have a viable character at low levels with this idiom, it seems. Daggers do pretty crap damage, though I suppose he could toss axes and such. Aside from fighter levels, Feats come pretty slowly, too.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I'm doing the same thing right now except I'm a knife fighter as well as thrower. I went with Human Fighter 12/Rogue 8.

1: Rog 1: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Dagger)
2: Ftr 1: Two-weapon Fighting (Remember, TWF now works with thrown weapons and crossbows)
3: Ftr 2: Quickdraw, Improved Initiative.
4: Rog 2
5: Ftr 3
6: Ftr 4 Weapon Specialization (Dagger), Point Blank Shot

I plan to get Far Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved TWF, Greater TWF.

Then I should be able to throw about 7 to 9 knives a round at my highest level. When I catch someone flat-footed who can be affected by Sneak Attack, the gods help them.

I'll probably take a look at the Master Thrower and see if the Prc can match my build for attack and damage capacity.

Coredump

Explorer
Sounds similar to what I am doing. But I went with a halfling. +1 to the throw, +1 to the dex attack, +1 to AC. yeah miss one feat, but the +2 to throw is better I think.

Remove ads