plane of shadow

tleilaxu

First Post
where can i find detailed info for d20 3.0 or 3.5 plane of shadow?

the MotP has three critters, dusk beast, ecalypse, and umbral bunyan. what other critters live there? how can i populate this plane?

any products focusing on this?

grodog

Hero
hiya tleilaxu---

From a literary POV, you can check out Zelanzy's Jack of Shadows, as well as Gygax's Gord novels (in particular City of Hawks, which is summarized briefly at Chris Siren's page at http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze33gpz/inner.html).

From a gaming POV, a number of resources touch on the plane of shadow, including:

Enjoy :D

hong

WotC's bitch
Ninjae come from the plane of shadow. Everyone knows this.

Hong "shadow dancer, shadow stalker, shadow walker, shadow sniper, shadow warrior, etcetera ad nauseam" Ooi

Gez

First Post
Ahah! You're not a penumbral lord!

G "penumbral lord, shadow dancer, shadow stalker, shadow walker, shadow sniper, shadow warrior, etcetera ad nauseam" Z

Nine Hands

Explorer
My wife and I wrote a tournament adventure that took place on the plane of shadow.

Part of the idea is that it is a comparison to the real world but much bleaker. Use lots of shadow creatures (the shadow template is good for this).

If you have the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, the Shades (they are creatures detailed in the back of the book) are composed of material from the plane of shadow. They would be pretty powerful there since it is always dark.

IMHO the best way to make things interesting is to take something familiar and warp it enough so that it is dangerous. Shadow Treants, shadow versions of thier allies (or even different people doing similar things), etc.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nine Hands has the right idea. Take our world, make it creepy and twisted, and use that as your basis. Then take any monster's stats, change its appearance so that it isn't easily recognizeable, and slap a shadow template on it.

Way back when, there was a good Dungeon module with a rakshasha on the plane of shadows. Good stuff.

Do you have the Zelazny book of short stories Dilvish the Damned? A good story in there is about the shadow plane.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Penumbral Lords kick butt...even if they are a weak Pr-class. Plus the new Penumbral Golems are pretty sweet.

While it's not the best book around, some of the ideas in Penumbral Pentagonal ARE useful. At least for building nice new fortresses. ;)

Remove ads