Converting X1-The Isle of Dread

johnsemlak

First Post
Ok, this thread officially begins my X1-The Isle of Dread conversion project. Contributions and feedback are welcome.

Note-The version I am using is the last, fourth printing of the module. It is dated 1983 and has a red cover. I assume it is compatable witth the later version of the Expert set (and the Rules Cyclopedia). More information here.

The ESD is available at SVGames and RPGNow.

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
The first bit that I can see that may need to be updated is the bit on page 6 "The voyage to the isle". In particular the mechanics for getting lost at sea, weather, and random encounters at sea.

In general the DMG is very brief with voyages at sea, does anyone know where WotC covers sea travel in detail? I've also checked the Arms and Equipemnt Guide, which has rules on ships but deals mostly with combat.

johnsemlak

First Post
The next thing to look at is the random encounter table on page 7. The following monsters are not in the MMI or in other WotC products that I am aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Giant Lizards: (in the MMI there is only a normal lizard and a monitor lizard)
Gecko
Draco
Horned Chameleon
Tuatara

Rhagodessa
Robber Fly
Giant Scorpion (can be replaced by Large Monstrous Scorpion I think)

Snakes (I need to work out equivelent snake types in the MMI, should be no problem
Spitting Cobra
Pit Viper
Giant Rattlesnake
Rock Python

Spiders, Giant (same as snakes)
Crab Spider
Black Widow Spider
Tarantella

Psion

Adventurer
It just so happens I am running Isle of Dread right now. Sort of playing convert as I go.

The first thing that caught my eye as needing converting was Anklosaurus and Allosaurus, which never made the conversion, though I do have 2 3.0 versions (one someone brewed up on the net, and one from Broncosaurus rex). I may just do them myself.

Next thing is that Aranea have changed between their introduction and now. In the Savage Coast setting, they were given the ability to shapechange, but did not have it when introduced in X1. Also, as 3rd level sorcerers, they would no longer have the ability to cast the second level spells they were given in X1. I was thinking of taking away their shapeshift ability and giving them a level of sorcerer.

Also, we need stats for phanatons. This site has them (as well as various other creatures from the expert set that never made it over to 3e that are on the random tables, like living statues), but I gotta say I'm not too fond of his Phanaton, particularly the "all phanatons are considered rangers" bit. That's just sloppy. If you want to make their favored class rangers, that'd be cool.

http://www.dnd.starflung.com/myst_3e.html

johnsemlak

First Post
The first thing that caught my eye as needing converting was Anklosaurus and Allosaurus, which never made the conversion, though I do have 2 3.0 versions (one someone brewed up on the net, and one from Broncosaurus rex). I may just do them myself.
Thanks for pointing that out. If you do convert them could you be kind enough to post them here? Otherwise I should get to it. May not be able to keep up with your campaign, though.

Next thing is that Aranea have changed between their introduction and now. In the Savage Coast setting, they were given the ability to shapechange, but did not have it when introduced in X1. Also, as 3rd level sorcerers, they would no longer have the ability to cast the second level spells they were given in X1. I was thinking of taking away their shapeshift ability and giving them a level of sorcerer.
I'm not sure if the 3e (or 2e) Araena is a problem, unless you particularly want to have them w/o the shapechanging. All DMs will make changes to suit their particular needs, of course. (That's one of hte great things about this module, virtually every creature and encounter can be modified without ruining hte adventure).

Also, we need stats for phanatons. This site has them (as well as various other creatures from the expert set that never made it over to 3e that are on the random tables, like living statues), but I gotta say I'm not too fond of his Phanaton, particularly the "all phanatons are considered rangers" bit. That's just sloppy. If you want to make their favored class rangers, that'd be cool.

http://www.dnd.starflung.com/myst_3e.html

Yes, this site is very useful. I think the 'all phanaton's are Ranger's" bit is easy to understand as "most are Rangers"

I wish they'd get more of the stuff on that site put on the "Official 3e Mystara site" so it could be considered official.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
johnsemlak said:
The next thing to look at is the random encounter table on page 7. The following monsters are not in the MMI or in other WotC products that I am aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Giant Lizards: (in the MMI there is only a normal lizard and a monitor lizard)
Gecko
Draco
Horned Chameleon
Tuatara

The people over at the official Mystara yahoo group did a conversion of these lizards for 3rd Edition. I downloaded their text file, put it into a Word document, spellchecked and formatted it and converted it to 3.5E stats. (See attached.)

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• Giant Lizards.doc
    54 KB · Views: 396

johnsemlak

First Post
johnsemlak said:
The first bit that I can see that may need to be updated is the bit on page 6 "The voyage to the isle". In particular the mechanics for getting lost at sea, weather, and random encounters at sea.

In general the DMG is very brief with voyages at sea, does anyone know where WotC covers sea travel in detail? I've also checked the Arms and Equipemnt Guide, which has rules on ships but deals mostly with combat.
OK, I've checked the Armes and Equipment Guide Again and found that it coveres sea travel barely, but adequately.

A table for Random Wind speed and direction is on page 43, while DCs for handling a ship in difficult conditions are on page 44.

However, one thing I don't like is the rules don't really cover sucessful nagivation (avoiding getting lost). The tables are for DCs are for sucessfully navigating in a storm.

I'd liketo be able to refer to a system of DCs for navigating a ship sucessfully, I hope some come out soon.

John remembers nostalgically about when PCs journeyed to the Isle of Dread and had to role each day to see if tehy got lost

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
Here's my tentative 3.5e write up of the village of Tanoroa:

Tanaroa (Village)
Conventional
GP Limit 200
Assets: 5000 gp
Population: 4-500 (100% human)
Authority Figures: Cheiftain (female war9), 4 clan leaders (male War5+), 1 Zombie Master (Adp5+)
196 Town guards (War1, with some higher level leaders), remaining population are Com1.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i was thinking of starting up a mystara conversions thread in the CC forums over the weekend. if i do, and you still need them, feel free to make your requests known at that time. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases