Metamagic Feats - do you use them?

If you do - why do you use them instead of researching a new spell at the modified level?

I'm talking primarily about the painful +3 to +4 spell slot level metamagic feats, not the 0 to 1 range (energy substitution, etc.)

1000 gp / Spell Level plus 1 week / 1000 gp... You can research a maximized whatever for far less cost than that feat...

Who here would not like to have additional feats as a wizard by researching new spells to duplicate metamagic feats?

DanMcS

Explorer
Tilla the Hun (work) said:
If you do - why do you use them instead of researching a new spell at the modified level?

I'm talking primarily about the painful +3 to +4 spell slot level metamagic feats, not the 0 to 1 range (energy substitution, etc.)

1000 gp / Spell Level plus 1 week / 1000 gp... You can research a maximized whatever for far less cost than that feat...

Who here would not like to have additional feats as a wizard by researching new spells to duplicate metamagic feats?

Metamagics work on every spell, not just the one you researched to behave similarly. An elemental substitution feat works on every elemental damaging spell you have. Sonic bolt, sonicball, delayed blast sonicball, sonic swarm. Those four spells right there would run you, what, 20 or 21 grand? But wait, you can also sonickize chain lightning, cone of cold, burning hands, ray of frost, those orb spells from Tome and Blood, and any other acid, lightning, fire, or cold spell you come across. Yeah, that's cheaper than a feat :)

Olive

Explorer
My PCs rarely have 1000gp of straight cash, let alone several thousand. Researching new spells is a serious business. Using metamagic is far more flexible and useful.

dulsin

First Post
I have never liked Metamagic feats much. They have alwasy seem very costly for what you get out of them. I normaly don't use them until I start using level 5 spells. At that point a quickened MM and empowered fireball looks like a pretty nasty one two punch.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
My wizard has not used them, I have trouble justifying the higher spell slot. He has instead been focusing his feats on magic item creation instead.

Crothian

First Post
Use them all the time. My sorcerer is third level with three meta magic feats. I'm really enjoying the versatility meta magic feats alows.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I wouldn't let someone research an "always quickened" fireball or an "always maximized" lightning bolt, not when the feats are available.

Ranes

Adventurer
I use them all the time and they're part of the reason I would argue that third edition is the finest incarnation of D&D to date. And in the game I run, NPCs agree and also use them.;)

Well, you asked.

Numion

First Post
I used quicken spell with my archer cleric.

At 12th level it's +4 / +4 to damage, so it means around 1.1 X (Arrows hit x 4) extra damage, which might be something like 40-50 points of damage with a 5th level spell. I put an extra 1.1 modifier there because some arrows that would've missed now would hit, because of the spell.

I'm not sure if pure mathematical analysis would warrant it's use, as divine favor is just a 1st level spell by itself, but not an option without quickening if I'm using the divine power also. One round for buffing is ok, 2 not so much.

Oh, I guess this thread was mostly for wizards. In that vein, our group has never used those spell-development rules, so the point is moot.

Trainz

Explorer
The Sorceror in the campaign I run uses them all the time. After seeing him go for a while, when my Pally died in the game I PLAY in, well I couldn't resist and rolled-up a sorceror.

For now I have energy substitution (acid) and intend to grab Empower at 6th. I also got precise shot to use with scorching ray (my favourite spell BY FAR).

Hi Crothian ! :D I'm currently a 4th sorceror. You're going to feel it when you reach 4th. Power-wise, the difference is astounding between a 3rd and 4th sorceror. At no other level will you feel it that much. Power. Yeah. :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases