First Post
Storms of Change Rogues Gallery
Storms of Change IC Part 1
Storms of Change IC Part 2
Storms of Change OOC Thread

Silentspace's PbP

--

Carodan

It’s been a long journey, but you’ve finally arrived. Carodan, the last outpost before the wilderness and Goruka. You see a high wall built of wooden stakes. Human and elves are hanging off the wall on ropes, with hammers and saws, busy reinforcing the wall. Guards patrol both the grounds and the walls.

As the wood gates open you see that there is an inner set of stone walls inside the wooden outer walls. The stone walls are being repaired, and are covered in scaffolding. There are large groups of dwarves on the scaffolds, hammering away at the stone. You pass through the inner gate into the heart of Carodan.

It’s not a town as much as it is a garrison. There are large numbers of professional, serious-looking soldiers, mercenary types, and down-on-their luck brawlers and drunkards. You’ve heard about the toll the wars have taken on young lives, and it’s true. You see very few hopeful young men and women here. A few decades ago a frontier town like this would have been full of young adventurers, out seeking their fortunes in the world.

At the caravanserai, just inside the second gate, Darien gives 20 gp each to Alan, Bert, Dunathar, Etherial, Rowyn and Zanock, 8 gp each to Aronai, Devan and Manzanita, and 4 gp each to Alyssa and Adromon. The caravan will rest in Carodan for a day before heading north on the First Day of Earth Week. You say your goodbyes to the caravan folk. Darien wishes you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Looking around, you realize that with all the mercenary types about, finding your replacements as guards will not be difficult. He says he will sell the bandit’s gear and give you a share later that evening, at the Slashing Sword. Mirena hugs everyone and says she hopes to see you again before they leave.

You’re on your own now. Stabling a horse or dog at the caravanserai's stables will cost 5 sp/day. Sabala is conscious but not up and moving, despite the best efforts of the group’s healers. [Unless someone cured her during the day, she is at 0hp. She’s well enough to be stabled here without supervision.] Your gear can also be stored here as well, for an additional 2 sp/day. Or you can take it with you and find an inn.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
You arrive in the late afternoon. You have time to do some exploring, or shopping, if you wish. Alan is able to fill you in on some background information here, as he’s been here before.

Carodan is ruled by Lord Ricsten, who serves as both Mayor and Commander of the garrison. He’s said to be a tough but fair leader, and is responsible for upholding the Venerable King Zenfan’s laws.

Linnord is a wealthy merchant who owns or controls much of Carodan, or at least the parts that aren’t part of the garrison. He’s rumored to have ties with the merchant guild known as the Silent Traders, and possibly thieves’ and assassin’s guilds as well. He is also known to be linked to House Washel, which controls much of the trade in Shillen.

The main temple is dedicated to Pelor. Hieronious is the ‘official’ deity of Shillen, though more people worship Pelor. There are smaller temples dedicated to Fharlanghn and Ehlonna as well. It’s possible there are other temples here that don’t advertise. The Cult of Hextor is rumored to have a secret following in many of the border areas.

The Slashing Sword is the big tavern and inn here, catering to the large numbers of soldiers and mercenaries. A bed in the large common room will cost 2 sp. Private room go for 2 gp. Four people can sleep comfortably in a private room. The Cat’s Purr is a posh inn, salon and brothel. Alan doesn’t know how much a room there costs, but he guesses it’s considerably higher. There are a few other local taverns as well, but without sleeping accomodations.

There’s also a small marketplace with a few shops nearby. Nothing fancy is sold here. The three largest shops are a smithy, an apothecary, and a carpentry shop. There are many smaller shops and stands in the marketplace as well.

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
Aronai was planning on casting a cure light wounds on Sabala, so the dog should be doing better. He will stable his horse for the 5 sp and go to find a place to stay. He'll do so with some of the others, if they do the same.

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita Sparrow

Manzanita will approach Alyssa. "I am to meet someone at the Slashing sword. I thought I would stay there as well. Perhaps you'd care to room with me. What I'd really like is to make some more money. I need to purchase some equipment to copy that brigand's spells into my book."

With the new day, she will attempt to translate the spells she could not yesterday. (Spellcraft +8)

Chaos Apostate

First Post
Manzanita said:
Manzanita will approach Alyssa. "I am to meet someone at the Slashing sword. I thought I would stay there as well. Perhaps you'd care to room with me. What I'd really like is to make some more money. I need to purchase some equipment to copy that brigand's spells into my book."

With the new day, she will attempt to translate the spells she could not yesterday. (Spellcraft +8)

Alyssa carefully notes the information, though she gives no outward sign that it is significant to her. "Certainly, I'm sure I'll appreciate the company. And I'm certain that between us we can find a way to raise some funds, as well."

Verbatim

Explorer
Not meaning to easedrop, but hearing the two elvish lasses discussing ways to make coin caught Dunathar's attention fully.

"If'n ye need help in making some more coin, I'm not above helping out those that need it."

~Especially if it helps me out as well...~

silentspace

First Post
Aronai's spell cures Sabala a good amount. A boy at the stables tells you that you can take your dogs with you to the Slashing Sword, but you'd have to pay for them like you would a human. He doesn't think you can take the dogs to the Cat's Purr. He says you can also leave the dogs out in the street, though that might not be wise since they are valuable animals.

silentspace

First Post
Manzanita hasn't found a quiet spot to study the spellbook yet (but when she does she will decipher Magic Missile and Nystul’s Undetectable Aura, leaving only Sleep undeciphered).

GPEKO

First Post
Bert

Before exploring Carodan, Filbert has a few things he wants to do. He approaches the carriage and waits for Glendrake to get out (in the same way he did for the detect evil but he's not trying to hide this time). As the merchant gets out, Filbert salutes him in the most polite way he knows. "Greeting master Glendrake. I, Filbert Wateryfoot, would like to have a word with you if I may." If he's allow to talk, he'll say this: "It's about one of your employees, the driver Mirena. It came to my attention that she is punished for not knowing her place. She knows now her mistake. She recognize that your business has to remain secret. Also, she suffers greatly in isolation and I think she did learned her lesson. So may I suggest that you lift her punishment and ease the poor girl's lonelyness."

Afterward, Filbert thanks Darien for this opportunity to get to Carodan. "I wish you luck on your travel, guard master. May Fharlanghn watches over you and those you protect ... Oh, and Darien, try to relax a bit sometimes, not all of the world's hobgoblins are after you." He winks at human and leaves the caravan, heading for the Slashing sword.

OOC: Can I leave Braveheart in the caravanserai for 5 sp/day ? Or is it just for horses ? Surely Bert and Rowyn are not the only ones travelling on dog's back ?

Seonaid

Explorer
Rowyn is in much better spirits this day, and walks along cheerfully. When Aronai offers to heal Sabala, she smiles and nods gratefully. "We both thank you very much."

When they arrive in Carodan, Rowyn looks around her in amazement. "This city truly is preparing for war," she murmurs to herself. "Perhaps I can learn something here."

As the caraven members take their leave of the rear guard, Rowyn smiles and says farewell to those she had occasion to speak with during the trip, and nods to those she didn't. Since she plans on seeing Darien at the Slashing Sword later in the day, she merely nods to him as she goes to find stabling for Sabala.

At the stableboy's comment, Rowyn decides she will keep Sabala with her in the common room of the Slashing Sword (cheaper and probably safer, for both of them), and heads off to find the temple to Fharlanghan (with Sabala in tow). For now, Rowyn carries her things with her. Before she leaves, she turns to look at all of the rear guard members, and says, "I am going to find the temple of Fharlangan to make an offering for the relatively safe journey and to pray. You are all welcome to join me if you wish." She will wait for a few moments to see if anyone responds, and then set off. (She isn't planning on asking directions; since they have time, she will wander the town until she finds it, unless it's difficult to find.)

Last edited:

Remove ads