Need dark, gothic-feel music

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
What I use for my games are these, however, as they have no lyrics (at least not understandable, LOL):

ARCANA (goth band a bit like Dead Can Dance)
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (The Storm track)
CARMINA BURANA (O Fortuna track)
DAMIEN: OMEN 2 (All the Power track)
DEVIL'S ADVOCATE (The Fire [end title] track)
EYES WIDE SHUT (The Orgy track)
HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC 3 (Dungeon, Inferno, Necromancy)
THE OMEN (Ave Satani track)
RESIDENT EVIL
RESIDENT EVIL 2
RESIDENT EVIL 3: NEMESIS
RESIDENT EVIL: CODE VERONICA
SUIKODEN 2 (GOTHIC NECLORD track)
13th WARRIOR (this soundtrack rox!!)
TOCCATA IN FUGUE IN D-MINOR by Bach

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Xar said:
I need some dark, gothic-feel background music for my next gaming session. Something that resembles O Fortuna or the LotR soundtrack (the spooky parts with the Ringwraiths). Modern music is also good, as long as it is gritty and disturbing, without any silly lyrics (something you could use on an Event Horizon-like adventure). Songs in Latin are the best.

Any suggestions?

It sounds more like you're looking for dramatic music rather than something specifically gothic or metal. The Gregorian chant and Conan soundtrack suggestions are good. Alternatively, see if you can get a hold of the Fantasy General soundtrack from somewhere. FG is a strategy game from 1996, one of SSI's 5-Star series. It has some of the most impressive fantasy/medieval choral music I've heard.

Here are 3 tracks in MP3 format. Each is 2MB long, so be warned.

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/Fantasy General - Track 04.mp3
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/Fantasy General - Track 05.mp3
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/Fantasy General - Track 06.mp3

Dark, creepy music

I'd definitely invest in the LOTR soundtrack ( I have it and its AWESOME), and the gregorian chant is good (from what i've heard, the CD called "CHANT" is really good).
In addition, if you're lookin for some modern stuff that can work, check these out:
-Rammstein (for that dark, gothic feel...especially with all the lyrics in german, it certainly adds that creepy feel)
-Queen of the Damned Soundtrack ('nuff said....for a demo, browse on Kazaa or any other Napster-like program for "Forsaken" by David Draiman....absolutely freakish)
-Marilyn Manson (DL a few tunes and see what you'd want..I'm not really an expert on him, so i dont know what songs are the best for the feel you want)
-Cold (the CD i have is called 13 ways to bleed onstage...very good, not too weird but definitely filled with loneliness and that goth feel i think you're lookin for)
-Slipknot (alright...if you're lookin for some seriously f'd up music, this is the band for you. they are the absolute masters of revulsion and vileness....put it this way, they make it a spiritual ritual to puke in their masks and never clean it...directly quoted from lead singer Corey)

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Don't kill me.

If anyone here remembers Information Society (they put out a few new wave synth tunes in the 80s that sampled ST:TOS) you should check out their more recent stuff. They completely changed their sound to this strange goth/industrial/dark music that is quite moody. It's one of the oddest reinventions I"ve heard, but it turned out pretty cool.

olethros

First Post
Wumpscut- A good bet. Very dark, sometimes in german I recommend any of their albums. Bunkertor 7 is a great evil sounding song.

Einsturzende Neubauten- The early stuff is very unmelodic and painful, but it can be very haunting at times.

Feindflug- More germans! Although this band has Hitler samples in some of their songs thy are very anti-nazi. Most people think otherwise for some reason.

Velvet Acid Christ/Skinny Puppy- Gotta love distorted vocals and scratchy noises.

Caberet voltaire- Good if you can find it.

Pig/Ministry- I swear, rammstein owes everything to AJ from Ministry. If you're going to buy one Ministry album, make sure it's not "With Sympathy". "Psalm 69" has some good background type music if your characters are walking through Hell, maybe.

Minibosses- Try their cover of the Castlevania theme.

Pantera- And the song is "Avoid the light". Lots of deep throated crooning.

uv23

First Post
Check out Rapoon. His name is Robin Storey and he used to be a member of Zoviet France. I have about 14 of his CDs (he's rather prolific) :) His music varies from errie ethnic (lots of quiet percussion loops) washed out swirling ambience to minimal dark ambience.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
You might try the Legendary Pink Dots. They tend to be more experimental and psycheledic, but their sound tends towards being pretty dark.

Also a related group, Teargarden, which is one of the LPDs with one of the guys from Skinny Puppy.

There's also Spahn Ranch, and some of Meat Beat Manifesto's stuff

Cabalan

First Post
Here's a few I chose for my rogue campaign:

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/cabalan/roguemusic

(notice the lack of .html, had to do to remove the banners. If you use Netscape, switch to Explorer in case the page doesn't work AND you have to copy and paste this, since you can't create links to Angelfire!)

Last edited:

turtle

First Post
look for records of the 4AD label... some people have already mentioned some... (Dead Can Dance, etc...

try
this mortal coil
cocteau twins
elizabeth frazier...)

Wil

First Post
Delerium. A whole bunch of Delerium.

Also try VNV Nation, Spahn Ranch, Haujobb, Mark Snow (of X-Files" fame, Qntal and In the Nursery.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases