D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Raise Dead

Hawklord

First Post
I seem to recall that when 3.5 came out there was much discussion about the revised cost of Raise Dead and somewhere floating around was some feedback from WotC as to why they made that chage. Does anyone remember what this was?

My campaign is about to convert to 3.5 once my players finish RttToEE in the new year and given how many Raise Dead's it's taken to get them through, the tenfold cost is really going to bug them. It may help if I can explain the rationale, otherwise I may just houserule it back to the 3.0 cost

thanks

Lord Pendragon

First Post
From what I remember, the costs of the various revival spells were raised because:

A. Andy Collins wanted to make returning from the dead feel special and momentous.

and

B. To try and shift the game so that the party cleric was doing more of the raising of dead, rather than the party returning to town and having an NPC do it.

I don't remember exactly how the price hike was meant to accomplish either of these goals, however.

Stalker0

Legend
Well first off, by increasing the cost you make raise dead a big deal, not just another trip to the town temple.

Also, WOTC noted that while the party had access to raise dead, dead characters wanted to be raised by town clerics with access to true res. They refused to lose a level and got sore when their party only wanted to use raise dead. With the new costs, parties of about that 9th level range can't afford true res anymore, so now players are more in the mindset of "wow guys you got enough to raise me... thanks" vs "damn it guys why didn't you raise me at the temple, now I lost a level!!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases