Player Created Magic Items

Tetsubo

First Post
The players in my current D&D campaign have started to acquire magic item creation feats for their characters. At first I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing. I was willing to let them do what they wanted until I found a flaw, if I ever did. I am glad to say that I am pleased with the results. The group can now create what they themselves perceive as important items. I don't have to "conveniently" drop required magic items into the story line. If the players don't create what they need more of the responsibility is on their shoulders. I feel that this frees me up as a GM. I'm sure that this is old hat for many GM's. But this is the first time I've really encountered players creating magic items in D&D.

I can remember back in 2E having players gather components for NPC spellcasters to use in magic item creation. But how they actually made items was a mystery to the PC's. :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
One thing you might want to consider adding is power components or other ways to reduce the xp penalty that the spellcasters are going to take when making the magic items.

For scrolls, potions and minor items, it's generally not a problem but for higher powered wands, staffs, and rings, it can become quite the drain.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
A few of my players have taken item creation feats. It hasn't become a balance issue, due to the time it takes to create the items, and they really seem to enjoy the fact that they are using things they created. I think it lends to their perception of the world being more "real".

From the DM side it's a good adventure hook for them to need to gather the components to manufacture their items. I also enjoy having them go through the bureaucracy in the game world associated with making the items.

Cbas10

First Post
I don't have to "conveniently" drop required magic items into the story line.

I'm not sure what this means, but I have also found that the Magic Item creation feats can really add some depth to the magic items in the game. Instead of a cleric saying, "Oh well, I can just find or buy another magical weapon," the player characters in my games tend to have a lot more attachment to items they create. After all, if a player drops a few hundred or few thousand XP into an item, I'd imagine that they would be that much more protective of an item and less willing to simply treat the item as a casual piece of technology.

Additionally, in my low-magic setting, Item Creation feats are that much more valued. Players know that if they want that +1 keen bane vs. dragons greatsword, there is a 100% assured way to get it: make the weapon. The same goes for the huge numbers of magical items and qualities from the huge numbers of books out there; just about the only way to ever have a weapon with a quality from some obscure or little-used book is to make it yourself.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Cbas10 said:
I'm not sure what this means. . .

Let's say you have a PC who uses an unusual weapon, like a whip. Not a lot of magical whips out there, at least compared to swords, and sliding one in just for a PC always seemed a bit coincidental to me.

Last edited:

Tetsubo

First Post
Piratecat said:
Let's say you have a PC who uses an unusual weapon, like a whip. Not a lot of magical whips out there, at least compared to swords, and sliding one in just for a PC always seemed a bit coincidental to me.

Spot on! :)

Tetsubo

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
One thing you might want to consider adding is power components or other ways to reduce the xp penalty that the spellcasters are going to take when making the magic items.

For scrolls, potions and minor items, it's generally not a problem but for higher powered wands, staffs, and rings, it can become quite the drain.

I'm currently looking at the Artificer's Handbook for inspiration along this line of thought.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Tetsubo said:
I'm currently looking at the Artificer's Handbook for inspiration along this line of thought.

A most excellent idea, if I do say so myself! If your players really get into magic item creation, you'll learn to appreciate the Artificer's Handbook's simplistic, spell-slot based item creation system, and the other variant options that it enables. Your players will probably learn to really like gestalt sets and socketed items for their versatility and cost-benefits. And, if the idea of trading XP for magic items leaves a bad taste in your mouth, there are numerous alternatives presented for you.

The official forums for discussion on that book are here, if you have any questions. http://mortality.net/board/board.php?FID=166

BTW, I'm the lead designer, so feel free to drop me a line if something doesn't make sense. I'm currently working on the errata/clarifications, which should help clear up some of the more muddy stuff.

the Jester

Legend
I like to encourage my players to add stuff to the world, whether spells or magic items or organizations or whatever. I think it's really cool when you see a pc cast a spell created by another pc long ago, or when the npc villain hits the party with Malford's hell on earth and Malford's in the party! So I really like the item creation feats- a pair of magical shoes that are monogrammed with Malford's initials may be great treasure for another party in the campaign's future, and it always brings a smile to the face of the players when they recognize something from the campaign's past.

Another really, really cool thing about the item creation feats is that they slow the party down. Given the default rate of advancement in 3e, a party can go from 1st to 20th level in a year or less of game time, given fairly constant adventuring. Item creation slows this down a little- actually, I'm trying to come up with other ways to slow this process down, too.

Tetsubo

First Post
die_kluge said:
A most excellent idea, if I do say so myself! If your players really get into magic item creation, you'll learn to appreciate the Artificer's Handbook's simplistic, spell-slot based item creation system, and the other variant options that it enables. Your players will probably learn to really like gestalt sets and socketed items for their versatility and cost-benefits. And, if the idea of trading XP for magic items leaves a bad taste in your mouth, there are numerous alternatives presented for you.

The official forums for discussion on that book are here, if you have any questions. http://mortality.net/board/board.php?FID=166

BTW, I'm the lead designer, so feel free to drop me a line if something doesn't make sense. I'm currently working on the errata/clarifications, which should help clear up some of the more muddy stuff.

Thank you. My group's Rules Guru is giving it a read at the moment. I may be the GM but he knows the rules better. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases