Crossed Paths, Part II

doghead

thotd
In the past Marcus has found that the less he has to do with soldiers on duty the better. Off duty soldiers are another matter. Things may be different now, but Marcus still decides to leave the talking up to Brioc and Octar. For now he contents himself with keeping out of the way, and in the dancing shadows cast by the fire.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"You'd have to ask him," says Octar, pointing at the sleeping Ehldannis. "I have no knowledge of such matters." He steps forward, noddinh courteously. "I am Octar. Which Legion are you with?"

Manzanita

First Post
Stranger in the midst

"Oh, hello Octar." The man pauses, looking at Ehldannis. "I say, is he an elf? Don't see them very often in these parts."

"My name is Sergious Crasus. I'm no longer a legionaire. I'm now affiliated with the University of Pisa. I'm an archeologist. There's lots of interesting old stuff around here. It's a shame about those orcs. I fear my colleague was killed. He was pretty old, you see. Probably couldn't have escaped like I did. We should have hired more guards. I forget how dangerous it can get outside Pax Romanica."

He looks about at the company, all of whom have awakened now due to the noise. "You're a varied lot, eh? What brings you out into the wilderness here?"

doghead

thotd
The man acts as if he is taking a stroll in the park and discusses the death of his collegue as if he were talking about last night's dinner. I do not like it. All alone, no fear, no caution. Perhaps his brains are addled. But ... I will be watching you Mr Roman Archeologist.

Jarval

Explorer
"Aye, we're a fair mix." Brioc smiles at the Roman, his friendly expression masking the distrust he instinctively feels. "We're a scouting party for a merchant company. We're looking into opening this route up as a safe trade route, although your news seems to lessen our chances of succeeding in that goal.

"Orcs, you say? We've heard tell of them, but we haven't seen any with our own eyes of yet. Is there any chance you companion might have escaped them? We will help you search for him in the morrow, if you wish, as I am sure you are saddened to loose him."

doghead

thotd
"Were there any others travelling with you?

"How long has passed and how far have you travelled since your encounter with the orcs?"

A thought occurs to Marcus.

"And what are the chances that they are following you?

Manzanita

First Post
The stranger

"We were attacked early last night. We were just about ready to turn in for the night, when I heard the guards call out. I grabbed my weapons, but one glance told me we had no chance. There were too many of them. I just ran. I speared one on my way out. I ran until I couldn't run anymore, then I lay down and hid in some bushes. Eventually I must have fallen asleep. When I awoke it was already midafternoon. I got up and started heading towards Sevastopol as best as I could. I must admit, I may well have been going the wrong way. It's possible they would follow me, but unlikely I think. There was slaves and supplies there for the taking without pursuing one man. I can't necessarily even lead you back there. I could try. Perhaps we'll see in the morning."

"You work for a merchant consortium, eh? Which one? That's great, in any case. Rome needs to expand in this direction. There's lots of wealth here. Farmland, forests and mines. And no real organized oposition as far as I can tell. These orcs we encountered were somewhat primitive. No match for a legion, I can tell you that. Perhaps some of you would be interested in hearing about the local archeology. I'm all wound up & slept most of the day, so I wouldnt' be able to go to sleep at the moment. Don't let me keep you all up, though. I'm so glad I found you. Thanks for your hospitality."

I'll assume you are all unarmored now, except for Brioc, who was on watch. Let me know if you plan on sleeping in armor, or any other precautions you are taking or will be regularly taking.

doghead

thotd
The more he speaks, the less I like it.{1}

"Perhaps it is unlikely, but it is better to be prepared."

Marcus steps back to his gear and dropping into a crouch, begins to pull on his mailshirt.{2} As he does, he scans the dark woods around the campsite {3} and every so often glances in the direction of their Roman visitor.

{1}Sence Motive (+9) check.
{2}OOC: 1 minute according to the SRDv3.5.
{3}OOC: Spot (+6) and Listen (+6) check

Jarval

Explorer
"I must apologise, but I'm afraid we can't be too specific about just who were working for. If word got back to our competitors, we might loose some of the advantage we're hoping to gain." Brioc replies to the Roman's query, sweeping the surrounding woodland with his gaze. He turns to his companions.

"If there are orcs abroad, we should be cautious. I suggest we have at least two of us one watch at all times. Excepting you, of course." He turns back to the Roman. "You've had a busy enough night already. Take a spot by the fire and get some rest, even if you feel unable to sleep. A little warmth can't hurt, can it?"

Remove ads