An "appropriate" system for LOTR?

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Well, as most of us know, d20 just does not work for a LOTR style game. So there a system, not just for LOTR, but for running a high fantasy, yet low magic type game?

JoeGKushner

First Post
How is the current incarnation of the game? I loved the details that ICE went into when they had MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) and liked the fact that it was a simplier version than Rolemaster, but found that the spellcasting in that system was a little too much.

A point buy system like GURPS or Hero with the right 'swtiches' could probably handle LoTR pretty good.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Oh yeah, and i want to clear something up. From some of my posts it may seem like i do not like LOTR, but i actually love LOTR. Although i believe that the d20 system is poorly suited to running a LOTR style game, or a generic high fantasy low magic game. And from what i have heard MERP was just like playing D&D in Middle-Earth.

Eternalknight

First Post
Galeros said:
Oh yeah, and i want to clear something up. From some of my posts it may seem like i do not like LOTR, but i actually love LOTR. Although i believe that the d20 system is poorly suited to running a LOTR style game, or a generic high fantasy low magic game. And from what i have heard MERP was just like playing D&D in Middle-Earth.
The system I was referring to wasn't MERP. I don't actually have the book, so I can't provide too many details.

nsruf

First Post
I haven't played the Decipher LotR game, but heard good things about it. AFAIK, magic is not easily available, and the powers that you can learn are based more or less on the books. The game mechanics are similar to d20 but using "2d6+adds, roll high".

But I disagree that D&D can't do LotR right. One quick and dirty fix would be to use bards, rangers, and paladins as the only spell-casting classes and forget about the usual treasure charts (magic items are rare and special, etc.)

Dark Jezter

First Post
I think that the D&D/D20 system could be used to make a Middle Earth RPG, but it would require several changes. Here are just a few I can think of off the top of my head:

The races would need to be changed, obviously. Elves would be much different than default D&D elves, and would likely be level-adjusted races, considering how powerful elves are in LotR. Halflings would be renamed to hobbits and would have a few changes (mostly appearance-wise). Dwarves probably wouldn't require much changes statwise. Gnomes would not exist. Orcs would just be another name for Goblins, and Uruk-Hai could use the hobgoblin stats. Trolls could use ogre or hill giant stats. In addition, there might be a few different human subraces, such as the Dunedain (sp?).

The fighter, barbarian, and rogue classes could be kept as-is. I would replace the ranger class with the non-spellcasting variant from Complete Warrior. It's possible that Bards could still be a class, since music seems to be a major part of Middle Earth. Druids, Clerics, Paladins, and Monks would not be suitable for this setting.

Sorcerers and Wizards would need some drastic changes, considering that magic in Middle Earth seems to be a lot more subtle than in other settings (otherwise, Gandalf could have singlehandedly inflicted massive casulties on Sauron's armies with a few well-placed evocation spells).

johnsemlak

First Post
The Middle Earth d20 site is hosted at EN World, and administered by EN World member Colonel Hardisson. I'm not very familiar with the site. Just looking briefly it appears to be a collection of house rules to give Middle earth flavor rather than a comprehensive system.

johnsemlak

First Post
Sorcerers and Wizards would need some drastic changes, considering that magic in Middle Earth seems to be a lot more subtle than in other settings (otherwise, Gandalf could have singlehandedly inflicted massive casulties on Sauron's armies with a few well-placed evocation spells).

I think that's always a problem in fantasy gaming that involves mass battles. It certainly isn't limited to converting Middle Earth to d20.

I remember a very old Dragon magazine article that basically argued that Gandalf was only a level 5 magic-user, based on the spells he had cast in the novels.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
johnsemlak said:
I think that's always a problem in fantasy gaming that involves mass battles. It certainly isn't limited to converting Middle Earth to d20.

I remember a very old Dragon magazine article that basically argued that Gandalf was only a level 5 magic-user, based on the spells he had cast in the novels.

Yeah, but in The Return of the King, he casts...just kidding. I saw your sig. :D

Remove ads