d20 World of Darkness

Cbas10

First Post
First off, I'd like to talk about what people have done with converting White Wolf's World of Darkness to d20 rules. I'm not wanting to start a debate over whether it is a stupid or interesting idea; that is an unconstructive debate that would get unnecessarily ugly. This is also not a thread to start false rumors of the World of Darkness going d20; it is not going to be published in a d20 format; I'm just kinda having fun with some alternatives here.

So, now that I have that out of the way, who has messed with this and what have you done? There are a number of mechanical issues to handle, whether additional mechanics are used from other products or you create your own.

A lot of my ideas have been influenced by the Spycraft/Stargate mechanics. To start off, I'd say that a grittier system should be adopted. Wounds/Vitality should be used instead of regular Hit Points. I would also use a variant of Spycraft's "Departments" to give characters' background mechanics to build from (for those that have not read it, Spycraft's Departments (character background origins) replace D&D's races-mechanic; it reflects natural aptitudes given in early character development).

Each clan of vampires would be a separate template (jokes about being 5th level Brujah/3rd level Toreador are solved :D ), and classes could be something a bit more generic than in most other d20 games. To simulate the versatile rates of advnacement in WW games, each time a character goes up in level, he could choose to either 1) increase base attack, 2) obtain extra skill points, 3) get an extra feat, etc etc etc. Something like that.

Anyways, let me see what sort of intrest there might be in this and I'll check back and elaborate later.

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Cbas10 said:
Each clan of vampires would be a separate template (jokes about being 5th level Brujah/3rd level Toreador are solved :D ), and classes could be something a bit more generic than in most other d20 games. To simulate the versatile rates of advnacement in WW games, each time a character goes up in level, he could choose to either 1) increase base attack, 2) obtain extra skill points, 3) get an extra feat, etc etc etc. Something like that.

Use d20 Modern. Vampire clans as templates is a good idea, if you want to use clans at all. I don't think they are necessary but that's not what we're here to discuss.

Add Discipline talent trees, which can be chosen from whenever your character would normally be able to pick a talent (roughly every 2nd level). You should probably mix up the disciplines a bit so that five discipline ranks becomes three talents, or you could keep disciplines at five ranks, make disciplines separate from Talents and hand one out on every level. Also add feats which improve on Disciplines, to allow for greater customization. Thaumaturgy will probably need a whole chapter on its own, possibly with a prestige class or advanced class tagged on to show how difficult it's supposed to be to learn it.

WoD vampires actually need blood to live, which d20 vampires don't seem to do, so the vampire templates must be altered to reflect on this. I suggest a blood pool, but not limited to 10 points. Generation would be a hard concept to translate anyway, it should probably be represented by one or more feats, if at all. The blood pool should be 5 points per HD. Every day of rest you lose 5 blood points. One blood point can be spent to restore 1 hit point. Draining blood would actually remove hit points as well as con from the victim, transform the hit points into blood points and add them to the vampire's pool.

Virtues, humanity, degeneration, frenzy and rötschrek can either be ignored or added on top of the normal d20 system. I would make Virtues into special modifiers to Will saves when trying to resist degeneration, frenzy and rötshreck, respectively. Humanity would just be a 10-point scale, as usual.

That's my quick and dirty suggestion.

Here's a discusson on converting Mage to D20: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1312600#post1312600

Last edited:

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
WoD d20

Actually I had wrote a conversion some time back, but It just didn't set right with me. I am thinking about revisiting the thing using the levelless system from the Godlike SRD where everything costs experience and level is simply a way of determining your general power level. But that is for another time as I have to get my thesis written.

Edit: I also have the GURPs WoD books and was going to use them as a guideline also.

Last edited:

Quantum

First Post
Monte Cook's d20 WoD is mostly for the new WoD, not the classic with a little bit of his own material.

I would like to see a d20 conversion for the classic WoD myself. I am working on one, but I haven't put anything up on my blog yet. It is going to be modeled after Monte Cook's d20 Call Of Cthulhu. But I am keeping things simple for ease of play.

For an example of the differences, for Werewolf The Apocalypse there are eleven tribes that are available as player characters, not five and for Vampire the Masquerade there are twelve clans that are available as player characters. In D20 WoD there are only about four or five.

But there are some things that don't translate well from WoD into d20. Gnosis, from WtA and some Vampire Disciplines, such as Celerity.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases