Need help designing a Bronze Age City?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So I'm trying to create a Bronze Age city using the 'Districts' Concept

So does anyone know what the Districts in a Bronze Age city (on a major river) are likely to be? And what should the city 'look' like?

Will they be the same as later cities or are Bronze Age cities different - so far I'm going Port District, Temple district, Palace and Market - what else?

Gilladian

Adventurer
I'd say you need a foreigners or strangers district. There might be several small foreign districts, one for each nearby neighbor. There could be several market districts; commonly fishmarket and meatmarket (butchers' shops) were kept far from produce and other goods to keep smells to a minimum.

There might be craft or trade districts as well. Pick whatever trade or craft the city is famous for, and build a district around it. And I'd say lastly there ought to be some kind of garden/common grazing/orchard type area within the city's bounds as well.

And a graveyard or tombs or other similar area. Really a bronze age city would be little different from a medieval city, just less clearly defined. And lots smaller, of course.

Gillladian

CCamfield

First Post
There might not be a foreigners' district. Depending on how structured the society is, individual foreigners might be welcome to settle down in the city but, not being singled out as foreigners, might be spread throughout it. Or, the Assyrians tended to build trading enclaves outside of foreign cities, for the representatives of their merchant houses to live in. Powerful foreigners might live in a nearby mini-town.

I suspect in a Bronze Age city there'd be a less specialization in trades. So you might not have, say, a jewellers' street; there might be just a few people who work in jewelry. Instead of armourers, the blacksmiths might also make armour. And so on.

Houses of the common people probably share walls and are pretty small. Town planning was much less common, so instead of a nice grid, roads and streets would be more haphazard.

The impression I've got from reading a bit of ancient Near Eastern history is that cities in Mesopotamia tended to have one god who was responsible for the welfare of the city. So one city might have a patron goddess of warfare, while another has a patron god who is the god of healing and music. Rulers justified their position as having been granted by the gods, so the temple and palace are probably pretty chummy. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Most homes would be two or three rooms max, single story made of wood or clay brick. The first and largest room would be the living/dining room, the second and third bed room.

Districts:
Ship builders
Blacksmith
Market
Miller
Wheel Wright
Temple
Leader

Why did I name districts after business? Districts will form around your basic business, supporting them and your labor force does not have to travel to get to work: This can be thought of as early guild setup.

Davek

First Post
If you have access to a copy, read The Assyrian by Nicholas Guild. This will give many ideas regarding Bronze age cities and cultures.

Last edited:

Remove ads