D&D 3E/3.5 Helping Boz with CC 3.5: Converting Dragons.

Krishnath

First Post
To make a long story short. I promised to help Boz with the 3.5 conversions by taking over the conversion of the dragons, and this is the thread where it will be done. I would appreciate any help I could get with these as some of them are quite hard to do. But before you go: 'This is going to be so boring with all the HD, Save, and assorted stat calculations'. You need not worry, as I will take care of the boring stuff, allowing us to concentrate on the really important stuff:

Special Attacks.
Special Qualities.
Spell-like Abilities.
Subtypes.

and the like. ;)

Anyone care to help?

Let's get started, shall we. :D

Krishnath

First Post
I've decided to start with the Steel Dragon (not to be confused with the Greyhawk dragon, althought they are very similar.

At the end of this post there is a doc file with what I've got so far (as well as one with the original 2E stats), what is needed is the following, in order, top to bottom:

A subtype (I'm thinking water, what do you think)?
A new breath weapon (the old one is a save or die breathweapon, much to powerful IMHO, suggestions?)
A new immunity (the original was immune to all arcane spells from level 1 to 4, which is the same as Bahmuth and Tiamat! We need a replacement)
A replacement for the friends spell as a spell-like ability, as the friends spell no longer exist.
A suggestion for a spell-like ability to be added to the great wyrm age category.

And that's about it for a start. Questions and comments are welcome, as are any suggestions you can give.

Attachments

• Steel Dragon (2E).doc
    24 KB · Views: 307
  • Dragon, Steel (conv).doc
    56.5 KB · Views: 378

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Poison gas does lead itself towards a Water subtype...

So why don't you do the same thing for their breath weapon as was done for that of iron golems? The steel dragon's breath weapon should deal Con damage starting at 1d2 for wyrmlings and advancing in damage as it ages. Like so:
Wyrmling: 1d2
Very young: 1d3
Young: 1d4
Juvenile: 1d6
Young adult: 1d8
Adult: 1d10
Mature adult: 2d6
Old: 2d8
Very old: 3d6
Ancient: 3d8
Wyrm: 4d6
Great Wyrm: 4d8

For a replacement for friends, eagle's splendor would serve well (both spells give a Cha boost). I'd suggest mass suggestion for a great wyrm spell-like ability. It seems fitting.

I'd say that their immunity should be immunity to Enchantment spells. After all, they use them with regularity. Either that or immunity to poison.

Hope that helps.
Demiurge out.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Nice job thus far. :)

I too like the Water subtype.

I like Demiurge's suggestion for the breath weapon. Same goes for the suggestion for immunity to Enchantments or poison. Alternatively, you could give them the +2 on saves vs. spells or spell-like abilities like dwarves have.

How about dominate person or dominate monster for the great wyrm spell-like ability?

Krishnath

First Post
Water subtype it is then.

As for the breathweapon, I like the idea of con damaging poison. But I suggest that we make the damage similar to that of the shadow dragon. Having it deal one point of Con damage per age category of the dragon (reflex halves), thus a great wyrm would deal 12 points of con damage, which is quite devastating, even agains powerful opponents (that's -6 hp per HD of the creature that is hit.) Does this sound good?

As for immunities, why not poison and enchantment immunity? What do you think?

Eagle's splendor is an excellent replacement for friends.

And for the great wyrm spell-like ability, I am leaning towards mass suggestion as I don't think dominate would fit a dragon with the steels personality... But I don't really think mass suggestion fits either. Any other suggestions?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Immunity to poison and enchantment works. So does the 1 per age category Con damage. Maybe geas/quest as a great wyrm? Symbol of persuasion? Sending?

Demiurge out.

Krishnath

First Post
Poison and enchantment it is then, and symbol of persuasion is perfect.

Next up, we need a short description of what it looks like (as per the MM).

LordNull

First Post
Just wondering is this the steel dragon from the 2ed draconomicon or from the mounterous manual? The steel dragon from the draconomicon breath weapon causes feign death with a -4 penalty or fall into a comatose state for 2d10 turns

shivamuffin

First Post
I would imagine a Steel Dragons BW to be a flechette type of thing. A cloud of razor sharp bits of steel, or some kind of calcified substance that resembles steel. That would be nasty.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases