Dry Erase on my Battlemat!

Harlock

First Post
Someone (I'm not going to name names, here, but his initials are Reiella!) drew a dungeon entrance on my Chessex Oyster Vinyl Battlemat in dry erase marker. So far, nothing seems to remove it. Nothing at all. Any hints, clues or anything else?

LGodamus

First Post
have you tried paint thinner...you will have to soap and water the thinner off quickly so it doesnt eat the mat, but it will usually remove about anything.

JDragon

Explorer
Try using Windex or another glass cleaner and a lot of elbow grease, but do it with a small part of the rag or a q-tip as the cleaner will remove the grid lines too.

Good luck.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Most dry-erase marker is soluble in alcohol. Rubbing alcohol should do the trick, but test it first to see if it'll eat the lines.

If rubbing alcohol doesn't do it, and you don't mind turning some 80-proof or higher ethanol into cleaning solution, that's your next stop.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
I know that when you mark on a dry erase board with a permenent marker, or dry erase ink that's been on there too long, the best way to get it off is to use a dry erase marker to scribble over it and then erase as normal. (Though this often ruins the dry erase marker.)

Have you tried marking over the dry erase ink with a wet erase marker and then cleaning as normal?

MEG Hal

First Post
Harlock said:
Someone (I'm not going to name names, here, but his initials are Reiella!)

Ya know this makes me look bad when I am constantly wiping of my keyboard and monitor from spitting soda all over :D :p ...
and I do not have any advice, sorry.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Harlock said:
Any hints, clues or anything else?
All I've got is sympathy. Your mat is very likely uncleanable. Everything I've found that can remove the marker will also remove the gridlines, if it doesn't just eat the vinyl itself.

Chessex customer service claims not to know anything that will help.

Mystery Man

First Post
BaaaaHAHahahahah!

Sorry. Just glad I'm not the only one. The marks are still there(three year old with a Sharpee) and I can't use red anymore....

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Well, this works on dry erase boards, but I don't know about battle mats.

And it sounds crazy, but it just might work.

Overwrite the markings with wet-erase markers. And then wipe it clean.

Cedric

First Post
Last resort here...

http://www.jmdmfg.com/reduran.htm

Reduran is an industrial cleaner used to remove ink stains mostly. Used in places that operate printing presses and the like.

Nothing will remove ink, paint, marker or the like better...

However, I consider it a last resort as it will likely remove the lines as well. I'd suggest a tiny dab on a q-tip...then scrub with that or a children's toothbrush...while being careful to avoid the lines.

Keep a wet sponge handy to clean up the loosened ink and reduran.

I'd recommend making the person responsible do this...

Cedric

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases