Street Fighter RPG from Living Room Games

Anyone heard about this baby, licensed last year to be released sometime this year? Apparently it will be d20 compatible as well.

Although I like ninjas and katanas as much as the next guy, I've never been a real Japanophile, and I dislike anime quite a bit. It's interesting that my sole homage to Japanophilia is that I love the Capcom and SNK 2-D fighting games. There's something about them that just strikes a chord with me, and I can't exactly explain it.

Krieg

First Post
The concept of an RPG based on Street Fighter/Mortal Combat/Virtua Fighter etc does absolutely nothing for me.

HOWEVER if the book has interesting mechanics I would certainly take a look.

Crothian

First Post
The art is being done by the same studio that is doing the comic book. I know a guy that works in the art studio and at Gen Con he told me about that deal he made. Other then that I know nothing!! ;)

Wehtam

First Post
The last I heard, White Wolf had the Street Fighter license and had only done a couple of books for it before fading into the woodwork.

I guess with the explosion in the popularity of Anime this was bound to happen.

Rich Forest

First Post
I'm in the playtesting group, but the playtest files aren't quite finished yet. LRG is a small company with a real love for the license. As a ridiculous (you don't want to know) fan of Street Fighter as a video game, I have high hopes, but I have little info at the moment. I can say that work continues, from what we've been told on the playtest group. People are pretty excited about getting the playtesting packets and getting going.

I have heard that they are using the SF canon plot guide, a really, really well-researched internet source on the Street Fighter storyline materials from various Capcom video games and game related books. This bodes very well, IMO. I enjoyed the White Wolf Street Fighter game myself (maybe too much), but they took liberties with the storyline and character material that are painful to read if you're a fan of the video game. Not as painful as a certain movie which shall not be mentioned, but slightly more painful than seeing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat listed as equivalents in a sentence. ;)

White Wolf has not held the Street Fighter RPG license for over half a decade, at this point. They put out a solid core book with a horrible cover in 1994, one good supplement, and a few pretty weak ones. The White Wolf game still has a decent internet following, actually. But the new Street Fighter RPG stuff will all by Living Room Games.

Rich

The latest info I have, personal e-mails from LRG, is that the core book will be d20, and then there will be four supplements for each of the gamelines they are implementing, Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, and Final Fight. At that point the license will expire. They will also have PDFs available (free or not, I'm not sure) in other rulesets.

I had also heard they were using that FAQ, in fact, while reading that FAQ I came across the fact that the RPG license had been granted to LRG. That is good news to me as well. Now if only they could get a license from SNK to implement the King of Fighters supplement as well...

Note: I said d20, but I actually mis-spoke, technically it will be OGL but not bear the d20 license, ala Mutants and Masterminds or Arcana Unearthed. Also, Street Fighter the Movie vs. Dungeons and Dragons the movie -- it's hard to pick which is a worse blight on my own personal fandom. :( :mad:

Last edited:

Neowolf

First Post
I have a copy of the White Wolf book, but I've never played it and haven't looked at it in several years. I bought it when I was a kid because I was a Street Fighter NUT.

Remove ads