Specific Paladin Question

trentonjoe

Explorer
On the heels of reding the 100+ Paladin thread I have a question.

I have a Wizard5/Rogue3/Paladin of Mystra (Goddess of Magic)1. My main battle tactic when fighting tough (trolls, giants, other things that can kill me one on one) opponets is to cast blink and attack. The blink spell allows me to get my sneak attack damage on every successful hit.

Is this "dishonorable"? Is it any different than casting Bull strenght on myself? Because I am a Paldin of the Goddess of Magic does it become "more right"?

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Well, that seems to be the crux of the argument on the other paladin thread. personally I think it is un-paladinish to use sneak attack. i usually play paladins (like the Gnoll Paladin I am playing now) that prefer to face their foes in a straight up fight. But that is just my opinion. From what I have gathered form the debate on the other thread is that there is nothing in the PHB that says you cant sneak attack as a paladin. I dont think the blur spell would be an issue especially since you are a paladin of Mystra.

If sneak attack works for you and your DM, use it.

Dirge

jollyninja

First Post
ok, there is nothing inhehitlantly dishonorable about the tactic as far as i can see. it is neither chaotic or evil so the generic paladinly requirements have not been violated. as for being a paladin of mystra i would say that use of magic that can not be catagorized as evil or chaotic (spells with the evil or chaotic designator, thus breaking your paladinly requirements) would be pretty much manditory. use of the blink spell to try and cross a chasm is chaotic, using it to effectivley dispatch your foes is not. in fact i would go as far as to say that if you have the ability to kill quickly and do not take it (ie abstaining from sneak attacks because you are a paladin) that would irritate mystra who is not fond of pain and suffering in others.

i personally do not like the idea of a paladin of mystra but that's just me, many evil people use the weave so having a paladinly order dedicated to her, kind of says to them "hey, potential worshippers, screw you!" but that's just my take on it. I know it can be done according to the rules but i think the divine champion route made more sense with her in particular. jmho

reapersaurus

First Post
trentonjoe - the crucial thing here is WHY did you take the level in paladin?
It must be a roleplaying reason, I would think, because Wizard/Rogue does not seem to mesh in my eyes with Paladin...

Is it because you joined an order, or are you just an individual paladin of the goddess?
What's the in-character reason for becoming a paladin that late in life?

And actually, come to think of it, are you going to stay as a paladin now?
What in-character sense would it be to just have one level of paladin?

trentonjoe

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
trentonjoe - the crucial thing here is WHY did you take the level in paladin?
It must be a roleplaying reason, I would think, because Wizard/Rogue does not seem to mesh in my eyes with Paladin...

Is it because you joined an order, or are you just an individual paladin of the goddess?
What's the in-character reason for becoming a paladin that late in life?

And actually, come to think of it, are you going to stay as a paladin now?
What in-character sense would it be to just have one level of paladin?

My character is an elf, he was disillusioned with their chaotic nature so he left home in search of adventure. As he traveled he began to like humans and their gods. He seemed to like their structure and their "goodness". After adventuring for awhile he defeated demons and other creatures; finally heard a calling allowing him to become a Paladin. He now has dedicate himself to destroying users of evil magic.

I will continue to advance as a paladin.

Green Knight

First Post
Personally, I see no problem with it whatsoever, and find the objections to Sneak Attack silly. Sneak Attack is effectively the 3E version of a called shot. The person employing Sneak Attack takes advantage of the fact that his opponent can't dodge out of the way and strikes at a vital area.

And why would using Blink to get across a chasm be a chaotic act? I don't get that, either. Last I checked, nowhere under the Paladin's Code does it say that some modes of transportation are unacceptable. So blinking to get across the chasm is chaotic and unacceptable? But jumping across, not making it, and plunging to your death is?

Wolf72

Explorer
I'm gonna agree with Green Knight: I like the idea and it seems to fit in with how your character has changed.

I don't find sneak attack inherently dishonorable ... to me it's more of a sound strategy. Now if you had agreed to a duel with some strict rules you'd be honor bound to follow it.

second thought: You're just that much more deadly in combat, law or chaos besides.

how about a code for your Paladin: it will be similiar to other codes, but as an arm of mystra it will be more magic inclined ...(K.I.S.S.)

Fair=everyone getting what they need v. Equal=everyone getting the same ... um absolutely no point in that ... :)

You've definitely described (imo) your fighting style as light (no/little ASF), quick (light armor?), and deadly (sneak attack) ... going toe to toe with something bigger and stronger than you are doesn't mean you have to take it like a man ... Leave the Equality fighter (see above) to the low dex, heavy armor, greatsword wielding tanks ... you be a fairness fighter.

shilsen

Adventurer
I think it's perfectly acceptable. Sneak attack is essentially just another mode of combat. Presumably a fighter with a shield and a sword is blocking blows (hence AC), striking at opportune moments (hence AoOs), etc. A rogue just happens to be a little better trained at taking advantage of combat opportunities than the other classes that don't have sneak attack as an ability. Is it dishonourable? No more than hitting someone with a sword is.

SonOfLilith

First Post
this is kinda OT forom this, but do Paladins get Domains? I mean, they worship gods like clerics, and have to pick one, so do or, should I say, should they get domain spells?

hong

WotC's bitch
SonOfLilith said:
this is kinda OT forom this, but do Paladins get Domains? I mean, they worship gods like clerics, and have to pick one, so do or, should I say, should they get domain spells?

No, they don't get domain spells. Domains are basically a cleric-only frill, just like divine grace and immunity to disease are paladin-only frills.

(And how can talking about D&D be off-topic on a D&D board?)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases