DMs - premade or homemade modules?

What kind of modules do you use?

• Only pre-made (store bought) modules

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I write all my own campaign material myself.

Votes: 47 32.0%
  • A combination of unique and pre-made material.

Votes: 74 50.3%
  • I use pre-made material that I modify heavily.

Votes: 13 8.8%

• Poll closed .

der_kluge

Adventurer
Was just curious, based on a discussion in another thread, how many DMs used store-bought (premade) modules or made everything up from scratch.

I'm trying to make this a poll, but it doesn't seem overtly intuitive. So, if it doesn't work. Just consider it another thread. :)

Crothian

First Post
I like modules for the maps. I'm not that good making large maps that make sense. I also like to use the classic modules from the early 80's. I take the module and try to keep the original intent there, but I redefine most of the rooms and the treasue to fit perfestly in with were the PCs are and what is needed to challenge them.

EOL

First Post
I almost never do my own maps. I'm not artistically inclined and it's very time consuming. Thus premade stuff provides the majority of my maps. Beyond that I may use some other stuff, but I can't remember the last time I ran a premade adventure without changing at least 25% of the content.

kitoy

Explorer
I usually use pre-made stuff with lots of modifications to fit it to my players. I also use just the maps sometimes, filling in the rooms with my own encounters and treasures.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I either do my own stuff (my campaign is too non-tradtional)

or take stuff available free on the internet and modify to fit. For instance I've just used Sharkbait (WOTC site) as a side mission for my PCs

333 Dave

First Post
I voted for writing my own stuff, but rarely do I write down what the adventure will be like. I just wing it most of the time, it seems to work well.

buzzard

First Post
The poll did not appear to have enough graduations describe my DMing. Lately I've been using store bought, but in the past I have modified things. Sometimes I'm made up my own stuff as well. I voted for store bought since it is the majority, and I don't modify them all that heavily.

Buzzard

Psion

Adventurer
I primarily used homegrown stuff. I find that it is often too difficult to make a prewritten module fit my world and the situation, though sometimes I do it, about 15% I would guess.

I have run the following 3e/d20 adventures as part of my game:
- The Ghost Machine (tweaked so that the doom machine has not been built yet; I am working it in later in the campaign.)
- Sundered faith (modified to become a temple of my drow death deity.)
- The Sorcerer's Citadel (the sorcerer became a deceased member of the arcane alliance, a villainous group in my game.)
- I will probably run Kambranex's Machinations this weekend, tweaked of course.
- I ran the dungeon of the fire opal, adjusted to be a fallen order of one of my own monkish orders.
- I ran RA 1 & 2 on off nights.

I have also nicked maps and stat blocks from some adventures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases