DMs - premade or homemade modules?

What kind of modules do you use?

• Only pre-made (store bought) modules

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I write all my own campaign material myself.

Votes: 47 32.0%
  • A combination of unique and pre-made material.

Votes: 74 50.3%
  • I use pre-made material that I modify heavily.

Votes: 13 8.8%

• Poll closed .

Chriskaballa

First Post
I am only 14 and haven't developed all the skills I need (and the time, n less) to be able to write my own material. I run a mesh of modules and pre-generated stuff. I wing the plot & stuff, since it's my own campaign world.

-Chris

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Depends on what I like and what I can use. I do like a good bit of premade mods BUT not all of them fit my idea of what makes a good campaign.

Oogar

First Post
I voted combination. It may not be too acurate, however. I will be including a module starting Wednesday, for the 2nd time in the last 20+ years of Playing and DMing D&D. Modules have usually been ideas for me. I ran Fighters Challenge for a friend about 10 yers ago. And am starting another for a group later this week. I just took over as full time DM and I need to figure out if my style, a module, or a mix will best please the group. It is hard going from 2 games (where different DMs can provide variety) to one game, hoping that one DM (me) will be able to meet the group needs.

der_kluge

Adventurer
maps

So, do those of you that write your own modules, do you use, or have you used those role-aids books of just maps? I seem to recall that there were just books of maps put out about 10 years ago or so by Role-Aids.

maddman75

First Post
I mostly write my own materials, but will occasionally use a published module when it fits my needs. For example, I had a large party of 8th level characters. They were questing for an ancient artifact. Their research led them to an ancient Suel library dating to before the Rain of Colorless Fire. After that, it was used as a center for a cult, then turned into a tomb. It was deep in the Crystalmist mountains, a place called the Nightfang Spire.

Insert module into ongoing campaign, very little modification.

I'm not very good at home brewing stuff from scratch. I really admire anyone that has both the time and imagination to create campaigns, scenarios and encounters right from there creative soul. I'm much better at fitting in already made scenarios.

Thus, I buy or download scenarios and modules fitting them into the characters' goals and missions at the current time in the campaign. The actions of the characters in the previous scenario, alot of time results in what module I buy or download next. It results in a pretty interesting hodgepodge of material that I have integrated into the campaign. All the D20 modules out there have really been a boon to my home campaign.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I used to use published campaign worlds but mostly made up my own adventures within them. Now, I'm just starting a campaign in a homebrew world. I'm planning on starting the campaign out with a couple of published modules and after that just going with the flow.

War Golem

First Post
I have bought quite a few d20 modules (as well as subscribing to Dungeon), but I have yet to run any of them. My homebrew campaign is so tailored to the overall plot line and the individual characters themselves that any premade module I used would have to be modified extensively. Not that that isn't feasible, but I find myself more inclined to simply snatch ideas or small sections of stuff I buy and then just blend it into the campaign.

I have run modules in the past, long ago, G1-3 and some of D1-2, S1, a scattering of others, and I do plan on running Beyond All Reason in some form or another. Of Sound Mind also, but not until a new campaign starts with lower level characters then we've got now.

MJEggertson

First Post
My own stuff, all the way. I'm not really big on reading several source books for each campain, its mostly a time issue, I guess. I don't like getting the 'facts' of a particular setting wrong, even if the DM has the final word, if I use a published setting, I prefer to stay adhered to the rules. Its much easier to make things up as you go, when the world is entirely your creation.

Sometimes I use maps. Not too often though.

Not that I haven't had fun playing modules. Some of our best role-playing was done in a series of three Ravenloft high-level modules. But as far as plot line, and how everything ties into the world, I find it easier to create the story if I can create the whole world.

-Mike

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I make my own adventures, and my own maps and handouts... I find that often, sketching a location or making the map of the location will trigger an idea for a plot development. If I'm stuck on a plot idea, I often just start working on detailing the NPC's and I find that the ideas come to me more easily.

I rarely use adventures, and when I do, I prefer ones that are alittle more bare-bones, like Dungeon modules, or things from the old Books of Lairs supplements. That way I have to do less stripping away of unneeded material.

I search the web every so often for floorplans of castles, and pictures of fantastical areas to give me inspiration. I like to base my adventures on real things so the internet research helps me out a lot. Adding as much reality as possible to fantasy makes it seem "real" to the players...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases