Discussing Rilmani

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, before we get started on the three remaining rilmani, let’s set some “ground rules”.

2E Hit Dice:
Aurumach – 12
Argenach – 9
Cuprilach – 8
Ferrumach – 6
Abiorach – 5
Plumach – 4

The Rilmani in the fiend folio, much like the fiends and celestials, had a bump in their Hit Dice. Aurumachs are now 16, Cuprilachs are now 12, and Ferrumachs are now 8. thus, I would recommend the following for the remaining rilmani:

Argenach – 13 or 14
Abiorach – 6 or 7
Plumach – 4 or 5

The Fiend Folio gave these common abilities to rilmani:

Rilmani speak their own tongue (Rilmani), Common, and Undercommon.

Outsider Traits: Rilmani have darkvision (60-foot range), and they cannot be raised or resurrected (though a wish or a miracle spell can restore life).
Rilmani Traits: Rilmani are immune to electricity and poison, and they have acid and sonic resistance 20.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – comprehend languages, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, detect thoughts, feather fall, sanctuary, tongues; 3/day – polymorph (self). (Caster level is usually HD or HD +1). In addition, all rilmani have spell-like abilities unique to their kind.
Summon Rilmani (Sp): Rilmani can summon other rilmani as though casting a summon monster spell, but they have varying degrees of success.

Also, each one seems to have spell resistance of CR +11 or +13.

The 3.5 Conversion booklet made the following change standard to rilmani:
Damage reduction (10 or 15)/good or evil or lawful or chaotic

Lowering the Resistances down to 10 would make them more in line with their counterparts.

Additionally, the 2E PSMC ascribed them the following powers, some we may keep and some we may drop:
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – Daylight or darkness, dismissal, hold monster, greater teleport.
Telepathy.
Can’t be summoned by any spell (but can be gated by other rilmani).
Can “piggyback” on other summonings.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Another thing they lost, which I had noticed after converting them earlier, was an unarmed attack progression similar to the monk's.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like these HD adjustments:

Argenach – 14
Abiorach – 6
Plumach – 4

BOZ said:
The Fiend Folio gave these common abilities to rilmani:

Rilmani speak their own tongue (Rilmani), Common, and Undercommon.

Outsider Traits: Rilmani have darkvision (60-foot range), and they cannot be raised or resurrected (though a wish or a miracle spell can restore life).
Rilmani Traits: Rilmani are immune to electricity and poison, and they have acid and sonic resistance 20.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – comprehend languages, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, detect thoughts, feather fall, sanctuary, tongues; 3/day – polymorph (self). (Caster level is usually HD or HD +1). In addition, all rilmani have spell-like abilities unique to their kind.
Summon Rilmani (Sp): Rilmani can summon other rilmani as though casting a summon monster spell, but they have varying degrees of success.

Keep all these, except Outsider Traits, since it is now assumed in 3.5.

BOZ said:
Also, each one seems to have spell resistance of CR +11 or +13.

The 3.5 Conversion booklet made the following change standard to rilmani:
Damage reduction (10 or 15)/good or evil or lawful or chaotic

Lowering the Resistances down to 10 would make them more in line with their counterparts.

Agreed on all counts.

BOZ said:
Additionally, the 2E PSMC ascribed them the following powers, some we may keep and some we may drop:
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – Daylight or darkness, dismissal, hold monster, greater teleport.
Telepathy.
Can’t be summoned by any spell (but can be gated by other rilmani).
Can “piggyback” on other summonings.

Even though I thought the "piggybacking" was one of the coolest things about the rilmani, I think we should drop it since the official three don't have it. Same goes for the rest, except spell-likes which we could work in on a case-by-case basis.

Krishnath

First Post
From this day forth, Rilmani will have 100' telepathy in my campaign, regardles on wether or not WotC intended for them to have it or not. :D

Remove ads