Large creatures (with reach) using reach weapons, need clarification..

WonkaMania

First Post
EDIT- added 3.0 tag as I'm using 3.0 rules.

Hello everyone!

I'm running a game tomorrow and I'm a bit behind on my preperation, so my brain isn't functioning properly right now.. hehe. I just need a bit of clarification on a large creature using a reach weapon.

Said large creature is a large skeleton. It has 10-foot reach, so this means it can attack at both 5-ft and 10-ft. Now, I'm going to equip it with a longspear, which is a reach weapon. This should mean that it can now attack at both 10-ft and 15-ft, yes?

Now, let's say we've got a large skeleton using a spiked chain! Would this skeleton be able to attack at 5-ft, 10-ft *and* 15-ft? It would seem to me yes because with the spiked chain you can attack creatures adjacent to you.

Please let me know if I have this correct, and if I don't please explain why. Thanks! :)

~Wonka

EDIT- Also, wanted to mention that since this is 3.0 rules, I'm not using "weapon sizing". The large skeletons are using a normal longspear (large weapon with reach), and a normal spiked chain (large weapon with reach).

Last edited:

MichaelH

First Post
WonkaMania said:
I just need a bit of clarification on a large creature using a reach weapon.

Said large creature is a large skeleton. It has 10-foot reach, so this means it can attack at both 5-ft and 10-ft. Now, I'm going to equip it with a longspear, which is a reach weapon. This should mean that it can now attack at both 10-ft and 15-ft, yes?
No. I am assuming he will have a Large longspear commensurate with his size. Page 150 in the PH says that creatures with natural reach using reach weapons double their reach with the weapon. It gives an example of an ogre (Large creature) with 10 feet natural reach using a Large longspear. The longspear threatens 15 ft. and 20 ft. away, but not 5 ft. or 10 ft. away. It would be the same with your Large skeleton.

Now, let's say we've got a large skeleton using a spiked chain! Would this skeleton be able to attack at 5-ft, 10-ft *and* 15-ft? It would seem to me yes because with the spiked chain you can attack creatures adjacent to you.
A Large spiked chain used by a Large creature that has 10 ft. of natural reach threatens at 5, 10, 15, and 20 feet away.

WonkaMania

First Post
MichaelH,

Thanks for the reply, but it looks like you are talking about 3.5 rules. I just edited the post to reflect that I'm using 3.0 rules. :)

~Wonka

WonkaMania

First Post
MichaelH said:
No matter, the same rule applies. See page 132 of the 3.0 PH, column one, Large or Bigger Creatures with Reach Weapons.

Cool, thanks! (and that really makes the spiked chain wielding large skeleton even more nasty! hehe)

~Wonka

Remove ads